First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Is this not a steel belted tire? Seems to be a sidewall issue, maybe?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Not quite sure, but my hunch is the sidewall. I'm thinking it's just not thick/reinforced enough to handle sharp rock edges.
Sponsored

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
What winter tires are you looking at? I've run Bridgestone Blizzaks in the past on my Explorer and Foresters, but now I'm looking towards the Michelin Latitude X-ice XI2.
I will go with an "All Weather" 3PMSF rated tire instead of switching to dedicated snowies. Ive ran umpteen sets of BFG AT,s, some Wranglers, but Im likely going to give the Falken wildpeaks a try this time.

If I use winter rated, i.e 3 peak/mountain/snowflake(3PMSF) symbol(not M&S) I also get the same insurance break as if I was running snowies.

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
I haven't been terribly impressed with the Hankooks, but I've not been terribly disappointed either. I can't say I've really tested them well (at least offroad). When the snow flies up higher later this year I will probably get a chance to test them a bit, although I don't do any serious off roading. They are reasonably quiet on road and thus far seem to be wearing well.

You are correct, I got all excited that you HAD a 2020. My 2019 was bought back by Ford because it was classified as a LEMON with many problems. I too have a 2020 on order and currently without transportation.

edgefx4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
My wife popped one of mine. She was just turning around in a parking lot and hit the curb, only going 2-3mph maybe? I watched her do it. Busted through the sidewall. Not terribly impressed with the tires, now I'm thinking of just changing all 4 out.

I called the dealer I bought my truck from and they told me Hankook stopped making these tires...
The service guy was going to call me back to advise what tire I needed and I have yet to hear anything back.

Update: My dealership called back and said they could not get the tires, said I could go to a tire rack or discount tire.

I think it's odd that Ford stopped carrying these tires within the same year they released the truck. I've never seen a tire on any of my vehicles bust like this. Personally, it seems like they are low quality.

Last edited:

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Michael

Please do not blame the engineers for the Firestone debacle. This is not true, being behind the Ranger portion of this corporate emergency. To malign us for something beyond our control is simply flat A$$ wrong. You do not speak from knowledge for sure as you did not live this fiasco as I did.

Engineers of both sides understood the issue, but the Blasted CEO egos of both companies was the main problem.

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hello Phil;

I did not say that engineering was the problem, I blamed "engineer communication between Ford and Firestone". And when all the lawyers and judges were done with it, that is what they said, too, as I recall reading at the time. I additionally recall the press reporting that the rollover issue was the very low TP called for by engineers and then ignored.

I was not an engineer nor a Ford employee, but that is what I read in the papers.

Btw, Phil, I enjoy your presence on these threads. Thanks.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Phil;

I did not say that engineering was the problem, I blamed "engineer communication between Ford and Firestone". And when all the lawyers and judges were done with it, that is what they said, too, as I recall reading at the time. I additionally recall the press reporting that the rollover issue was the very low TP called for by engineers and then ignored.

I was not an engineer nor a Ford employee, but that is what I read in the papers.

Btw, Phil, I enjoy your presence on these threads. Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the positive response! This ended up CEO ego against CEO ego... We were the Monkey in the middle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 2020 Lariat SuperCab with the FX2 package on order, I am assuming that the standard equipment tires will be Hankook 265/60R18 OWL tires (chrome package also).. The so called LT tire option is not available with the chrome package.

What has been your experiences with this brand of tire? Frankly I don't expect them to perform admirably.

I am well aware of the fact that all auto manufacturers broker deals with certain tire manufacturers and specify the absolute cheapest tire available.
  • is it round, black and have tread?
  • does it meet the minimum DOT/FMVS standards?
  • will it remain inflated for any length of time?
  • can you supply X amount of them?
When you buy 5K plus tires, this is an important cost cutting factor. For all I know my new truck may be shod with Bridgestones instead.

Remember the Firestone debacle with the Explorers some years ago?

Thanks !
My Hankook oem tires ride great. 18" rowl rides better in the 40psi range. Only lightly wet roads thus far. No snow yet. I like em, very quiet also.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've run BFG Rugged Trail, BFG T/A KO's and Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my '02 Tacoma. The Hankooks seemed to be the best of the bunch. The BFG's were a nightmare to keep balanced.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the positive response! This ended up CEO ego against CEO ego... We were the Monkey in the middle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I heard that, too.

Gard

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
They really suck in the snow. I'm in northern ontario so that's a big deal for me. Saving my pennies for some BFGs.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
My wife popped one of mine. She was just turning around in a parking lot and hit the curb, only going 2-3mph maybe? I watched her do it. Busted through the sidewall. Not terribly impressed with the tires, now I'm thinking of just changing all 4 out.

I called the dealer I bought my truck from and they told me Hankook stopped making these tires...
The service guy was going to call me back to advise what tire I needed and I have yet to hear anything back.

Update: My dealership called back and said they could not get the tires, said I could go to a tire rack or discount tire.

I think it's odd that Ford stopped carrying these tires within the same year they released the truck. I've never seen a tire on any of my vehicles bust like this. Personally, it seems like they are low quality.
Hankook stopped making the ATM. Replaced with AT2.

Not a ford issue.

I would go with cooper discoverer at34s or falken wildpeaks.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hankook stopped making the ATM. Replaced with AT2.

Not a ford issue.

I would go with cooper discoverer at34s or falken wildpeaks.
This raises the question of whether experiences with the Hankook ATM on our trucks are still valid for the AT2 version, which, naturally, the manufacturer claims to be a huge improvement in every respect. I am happy with the performance of the OEM ATM Hankook tires on my 2019 FX4 Lariat, although they have not really been tested in winter conditions, as we had essentially no snow in Delaware this winter. Looking forward, I would naturally want to upgrade to something a little better when the time comes (only c. 8,000 miles so far), and would be open to the AT2 if it is as-good or maybe even a little bit better than the current edition. Has any member run both the ATM and the AT2, or just the AT2, that could offer the benefit of his/her experience? I have read a ton of reviews, but I do not trust them as much as our members' direct experience. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

LNK_Keff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat sport 501 magnetic gray, 2018 Volvo XC90 T5, 1963 Chevrolet Impala 2 door coupe
Occupation
Logistics Manager
I've got a 2020 Lariat SuperCab with the FX2 package on order, I am assuming that the standard equipment tires will be Hankook 265/60R18 OWL tires (chrome package also).. The so called LT tire option is not available with the chrome package.

What has been your experiences with this brand of tire? Frankly I don't expect them to perform admirably.

I am well aware of the fact that all auto manufacturers broker deals with certain tire manufacturers and specify the absolute cheapest tire available.
  • is it round, black and have tread?
  • does it meet the minimum DOT/FMVS standards?
  • will it remain inflated for any length of time?
  • can you supply X amount of them?
When you buy 5K plus tires, this is an important cost cutting factor. For all I know my new truck may be shod with Bridgestones instead.

Remember the Firestone debacle with the Explorers some years ago?

Thanks !
??? I work for a Kawasaki plant in Nebraska and that’s almost exactly our entire quote process in a nutshell. You nailed it.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
??? I work for a Kawasaki plant in Nebraska and that’s almost exactly our entire quote process in a nutshell. You nailed it.
Beautiful '63 Impala you got, I had an Uncle who bought a brand new '63 SS Hardtop, it was red with a black vinyl interior, I was with him when he drove it off the dealer's lot. Lord knows how much that car would be worth now...
Lol, there was probably enough steel in that car to produce 10 current day Nissan Leafs!

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I actually went out of my way to buy the hankooks for my Jeep. The combination of price. Wet and snow handling combined with a quiet dry ride made them a go to tire for me.
Sponsored