Hankook Tires

Deleted member 1634

The wildpeaks are the best tires in snow that i have owned. Better that BFG, better than duratracs.

But they are horrible for mpg's.

I have the Bridgestone's AT on my STX.

Not too happy with them in the snow/ice. Hope they wear fast.

Anyone have experience with the hancook at2's???? Would be intersted in comparison with the atm's.
Can you elaborate on the "horrible for mpg" statement? Like I said before, I have considered Wildpeaks as a replacement in the future, but I'm a person who's concerned about mpg.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the report. I've got the OEM Hankooks on my 4x4. I've only had a few opportunities to seriously challenge them here in Western Montana so far. Snow has been no problem and have only had to use 4H a couple of times. Haven't yet tested them on serious ice, which is my main concern. I'd really like to avoid purchasing and having to store another set of dedicated tires/wheels if I could avoid it.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know the average miles the Hankook AT/M’s will last? I got a great deal on a second set of Sport wheels and tires with the same wheels and Hankooks I have now, kinda wondering how long two sets will last me.

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Anyone know the average miles the Hankook AT/M’s will last? I got a great deal on a second set of Sport wheels and tires with the same wheels and Hankooks I have now, kinda wondering how long two sets will last me.
Uh, twice as long? Ok, sorry I couldn't help myself.

Deleted member 773

Y’all run lower tire pressure when driving in snow? I have the oem dynapro atm tires too and they have been great so far. I have been rotating every 5,000 and wear has been pretty even. I took it on some 7-8 percent grade trails with 6-8 of fresh snow and it didn’t have any problem. I messed with regular 4h and snow mode, both were great but snow mode definitely found more traction when you stepped on it.

I think it’s funny how fired up “hardcore off-roaders” get about the driving modes.. formula 1 drivers have dozens of drive modes so there must be something to it..

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Can you elaborate on the "horrible for mpg" statement? Like I said before, I have considered Wildpeaks as a replacement in the future, but I'm a person who's concerned about mpg.
I dropped 4mpg on my f150. Went from 21mpg to 17mpg.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
We had 57,000 miles on the set of the Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on my '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD ExtraCab... we traded the Tacoma in when we bought our Ranger.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
We had 57,000 miles on the set of the Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on my '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD ExtraCab... we traded the Tacoma in when we bought our Ranger.
Wow! Jeez, now I better think twice about how I store this extra set of wheel/tires. They might be around for quite a while.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Wow! Jeez, now I better think twice about how I store this extra set of wheel/tires. They might be around for quite a while.
Rotate them every 4,000 miles... and don't over-inflate them, they'll do right by you!

Deleted member 1634

Interesting article from another forum where DanSR5 does a pretty good job of explaining it... https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-wildpeaks-and-mpg.604152/page-3
I guess I know they'll have an affect based on weight and aggressiveness. And I wouldn't get bigger tires, they'd be the same size as my current setup. I was more wondering what the extent of "horrible" was. If "horrible" to him was 2mpg or 10mpg, one of which I could live with, the other I couldn't.

I dropped 4mpg on my f150. Went from 21mpg to 17mpg.
Interesting. That's a bit more than I'm willing to deal with. Thanks!

OP
OP

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
@the1mrb. Go through Duluth 2xyr to and from fishing in Canada. Duluth is hilly, significantly so. How are the OEM tires on your Ranger handling those snow-covered hills? Your evaluation would be a good measure of their snow performance.

New neighbor just moved from L.A. Newish CJ Jeep 4 door with large lug tires. Quarter mile in, slid off the road on a curve. He noted he was only going 10-15MPH Suggested those big tires are fine in the dry on rocks, not so good in snow, packed or otherwise. He said he already is saving for new, smaller tires/rims for next winter. Conditions were just right and the same day, four folks slid off on various curves and needed help. More than all winter to date.

Because Ford has chosen to put a different sized spare, wonder if that selection is a reflection of the confidence Ford has in the Hankook tires or are they just trying to lower costs. Customers are less likely to replace their tires with the same make when the time comes and you can't rotate the spare in the mix.

Deleted member 1634

@the1mrb. Go through Duluth 2xyr to and from fishing in Canada. Duluth is hilly, significantly so. How are the OEM tires on your Ranger handling those snow-covered hills? Your evaluation would be a good measure of their snow performance.

New neighbor just moved from L.A. Newish CJ Jeep 4 door with large lug tires. Quarter mile in, slid off the road on a curve. He noted he was only going 10-15MPH Suggested those big tires are fine in the dry on rocks, not so good in snow, packed or otherwise. He said he already is saving for new, smaller tires/rims for next winter. Conditions were just right and the same day, four folks slid off on various curves and needed help. More than all winter to date.

Because Ford has chosen to put a different sized spare, wonder if that selection is a reflection of the confidence Ford has in the Hankook tires or are they just trying to lower costs. Customers are less likely to replace their tires with the same make when the time comes and you can't rotate the spare in the mix.
The OEM Hankooks are good in the snow. We've gotten a few good snow filled storms already this season (one was 24" in 24hrs), and it hasn't had any problems with that. Used 4H some of the time, but mostly just 2H and a light foot. They are quite horrible in the ice and slush/churned up snow though. To the point where they've broken loose just trying to maintain speed (35-40mph) on a level straight a couple times. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone who has to deal with any "real" winter conditions. If you only see a couple storms a year, and don't do much driving anyways, then they'd get you by. I plan on getting a set of dedicated snow tires for next winter.

Yeah, big luggy mud type tires are not good in the snow, because they're usually pretty hard/tough at cold temperatures, don't have good siping, and there's less tread touching the road surface. Sure they're probably great in deep snow, but not ice or loose stuff.

I have a feeling the different sized spare is for cost and weight savings. The Hankooks are a good balance of high mileage, comfort, low road noise, and medium off-road ability. So I actually might end up getting another set once these wear down, especially if I'm getting a set of dedicated snow tires for winter. But we'll see what I decide in a few years when that time comes.

OP
OP

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Heading to San Diego for a couple of months with the Escape, leaving the Ranger in Wyoming. Because pure snow tires wear poorly, changed the Michelin Ice-X snow tires for the summer tires I had recently purchased - Goodyear Assurance all-season. Have rims for both sets so swapping is easy. It was the first time using the Goodyears in snow and on snow packed roads. Just got another foot of snow two days ago. VERY impressive. Although not as good as a pure snow tire, they are much better than I would have thought to the point there I may replace the OEM Hankooks on the Ranger when the time comes. Just another thing for consideration.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer

We are in the eastern Sierra with fairly steep roads, and now that we are further into winter, I've had more time to evaluate the tires. We're at 7,500-8,000 ft. and the temps are mostly between 22-32 deg. F during storms and cycles between the low teens and low 40s when it's clear, so we sometimes get icy conditions as well. After putting some more miles in, I now agree more with Matt (@the1mrb ) that these tires are actually not too bad in moderate snow. In deeper snow and on ice, I think the KO2s we have on the old truck are a little better, but the traction control (which the old truck does not have) does help compensate to some degree.

We do enough driving on bare pavement in the winter that it's hard to justify winter-only tires here, so I'm still thinking I will change them next winter, probably to KO2s, which have been a good compromise between noise, treadwear, winter traction and fuel economy in the past in our area, but I will keep the Hankooks and swap them back in during summer to get the rest of the utility out of them. They're fine for our normal summer activities.
Sponsored