Any Advise on Winter Tires

4TH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT +fX4
As someone who's run the Hankooks in the winter I'll just say that they're pretty good in the snow, but leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes to ice and slush and loose/churned up snow. I did run mine all last winter, and I survived without incident, but it came close a few times. I plan on swapping for dedicated snows this winter.

I would still recommend that you try it without swapping, as you plan on doing, first though. Just so you can experience them they way you drive and the conditions you see first hand. My experience is in no way an end all statement.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info concerning in the snow, I'm not too worried about the slush etc..I adjust to the conditions, (and have 4x4), in North Bay we get most of that all winter.Mixed bag in late fall early spring. As for ice,I've found only studded tires really work.
As the truck is leased I didn't pay for any extra's other than what it came with, base XLT supercrew (LT tires,box liner,fx4,tow pkg,running boards), would like a tonneau cover but they are still $$$ up here. So I guess the weight of the snow in the box will add to traction,lol. In Canada only 4x4's up here no 2x4 option as of yet. Would of loved heated seats but couldn't justify 3500.00 just for heated seats(301a pkg). Can't believe thats not standard up here as well as heated mirrors.

FYI- I guess the reason the LT tires were added as an option by the dealer here ,is that they are winter rated ( snowflake) as opposed to the p-metric version which is not winter rated. Not sure if many are aware of that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Thanks for the info concerning in the snow, I'm not too worried about the slush etc..I adjust to the conditions, (and have 4x4), in North Bay we get most of that all winter.Mixed bag in late fall early spring. As for ice,I've found only studded tires really work.
As the truck is leased I didn't pay for any extra's other than what it came with, base XLT supercrew (LT tires,box liner,fx4,tow pkg,running boards), would like a tonneau cover but they are still $$$ up here. So I guess the weight of the snow in the box will add to traction,lol. In Canada only 4x4's up here no 2x4 option as of yet. Would of loved heated seats but couldn't justify 3500.00 just for heated seats(301a pkg). Can't believe thats not standard up here as well as heated mirrors.

FYI- I guess the reason the LT tires were added as an option by the dealer here ,is that they are winter rated ( snowflake) as opposed to the p-metric version which is not winter rated. Not sure if many are aware of that.
I am from the Parry Sound area, and my daughter is in the Greater Sudbury area, basically the same winter conditions as North Bay. The Toyo Observes si5/6 are amazing. We both had them on our vehicles last winter. I had them on my MDX SUV and have now ordered them with new wheels for the Ranger.

I ordered the wheels with TPMS. I had a tire quickly go on me traveling 75 mph on a Phoenix highway and the warning from the TPMS gave me the needed time to slow down and stay in control.
The TPMS are extra money, I just think it is about safety.

Last edited:

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Went to the dealer today and ordered the “package” deal for their winters. Getting Firestone Winterforces (not sure if 1 or 2). Either way, they look like they’ll be over-capable for my majority southern Ontario winters (usually go up to Ottawa area twice during winter season).

I’m sold on the slush-handling capabilities from what I’ve read up on.

Yeah, we get snow, we get ice/freezing rain (more and more of over the last few years and I can see that continuing), so these look best considering that’s mostly what I’ be dealing with, especially with how they salt everything...

If there’s any “deep” snow, well, that’s what 4WD is for...

Deleted member 1634

Went to the dealer today and ordered the “package” deal for their winters. Getting Firestone Winterforces (not sure if 1 or 2). Either way, they look like they’ll be over-capable for my majority southern Ontario winters (usually go up to Ottawa area twice during winter season).

Yeah, we get snow, we get ice/freezing rain (more and more of over the last few years and I can see that continuing), so these look best considering that’s mostly what I’ be dealing with, especially with how they salt everything...

I'll be interested to hear your experience with the Firestones. I've been considering them. I have a buddy at work who runs them and recommends but I've always had Blizzaks on all my other vehicles before. From here on out my Ranger won't be going on long winter trips (my wife's new 2020 Escape Hybrid with Blizzaks will be for that), so I don't want to spend a bunch of money of snow tires that will really only be used for work commuting and taking my fatbike to the trails. The Firestone's seem like a perfect set for that use.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Nokian Tires by far the best imho. For price and quality. Blizzaks overPriced.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport

What included in the package?

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I've had Nokian's, Blizzak's, Michelin, Pirelli, Vredestein and all worked quite well in our New England winters.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of Firestone Winterforce 2, in stock sizing for the 18 inch wheels

They are an "LT/SUV" rated tire and considerably less money than the Blizzak.

I'd like to believe that simply because I invested the money in them, we'll have a dry winter. Fingers crossed!

fs_winterforce_2_uv_full.jpg

jhgr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
As someone who's run the Hankooks in the winter I'll just say that they're pretty good in the snow, but leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes to ice and slush and loose/churned up snow. I did run mine all last winter, and I survived without incident, but it came close a few times. I plan on swapping for dedicated snows this winter.

I would still recommend that you try it without swapping, as you plan on doing, first though. Just so you can experience them they way you drive and the conditions you see first hand. My experience is in no way an end all statement.

Good luck!
Sponsored