LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Show Hollywood we like car movies. Also, it's about Ford and it's good.
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a stupid grin on my face basically the whole time I was watching. Would recommend.

fast40s

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2013 Explorer Limited, 2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2
Occupation
Engineer
I had a stupid grin on my face basically the whole time I was watching. Would recommend.
Although I would categorize this movie as “historical fiction” (similar to the 1990s movie “Gettysburg”), it was very well done and it is very enjoyable.

Deleted member 1634

I was hesitant to go see it, since I already knew the real story and was worried they were going to dumb it all down for the casual American who doesn't know or understand how important Le Mans is, and turn it into a Fast and Furious type of car movie. But they did a really good job using real names and real places and sticking generally to the history. Would definitely recommend.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Some great footage. I heard over 100 million to make. Some cool cars in the opening scene.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
You guys realize that neither Ford nor Carroll Shelby "invented" the "Ford" GT40, right?

Shelby was a scam artist, a con man, and a criminal.

The "Ford" GT40 was in reality the British Lola Mk6, which already existed prior to Shelby coming onboard. The Lola Mk6 was chosen primarily because it already had a Ford V8 engine in it.

Even driver Ken Miles was British.

Shelby's scams could fill a book.

The "Shelby Cobra" was actually the British AC Ace. AC had lost their engine supplier, and was desperate. Shelby saw an opportunity to run a scam. He told AC that he could get them am engine supplier, if they gave him a free AC Ace, even though he had no engine supplier at that point. He also asked them to modify it to accept an American V8 engine. Then he tried to con Chevrolet out of an engine, but they saw through him and told him to go pound sand. Eventually he was able to con Ford out of two engines. So Shelby's role in the Cobra was simply installing a free engine in a free car, that had been modified by someone else for free, to accept that free engine.

Then there was the fake Cobra frames that he got busted for, when he fraudulently filed affidavits with the state of California to obtain "lost" titles, for cars that didn't exist. That one came unraveled when it was discovered that the frames had been stamped in the '90s, not in the '60s as Shelby had claimed.

And then there was the whole "Eleanor" Mustang Fiasco- altered VINs, stolen cars, two cars welded together in the middle, 50 pounds of bondo in each one, inmates of a local prison doing the work for free, and when the police started closing in, they started trying to hide the cars, by shuffling them around from warehouse, to barn, to storage units, until they finally got caught.

Anyone who idolizes Shelby, simply doesn't know much about him.

Last edited:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Geez, it’s just a movie and it was GREAT!

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Geez, it’s just a movie and it was GREAT!
Fair enough.

Tombstone was another excellent movie that was largely fictional, even though people tend to form a false understanding of the actual history of that incident, from watching that movie.

Wyatt Earp was not a famous lawman at that time. He was a gambler, pimp, and thief. He did not become famous until after his death, when his widow was involved in a largely fictional book about him, which was in turn the basis for numerous increasingly fictional movies.

Wyatt was not the central figure in that incident- his older brother Virgil was. Virgil was the town marshal, a Civil War veteran, and the only Earp with any actual combat experience.

Wyatt was also not a skilled gunfighter. He had been involved in only one gunfight prior to this incident, and he was fortunate to have survived that one.

And "The shootout at the OK Corral" did not even occur at the OK Corral- it occurred at a vacant lot, several lots away from the OK Corral.

Last edited:

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Did Carroll Shelby make chili?
Shelby sold his name to anyone who would buy it. Carroll Shelby deodorant, Carroll Shelby Saab wheels, you name it...

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
You guys realize that neither Ford nor Carroll Shelby "invented" the "Ford" GT40, right?

Shelby was a scam artist, a con man, and a criminal.

The "Ford" GT40 was in reality the British Lola Mk6, which already existed prior to Shelby coming onboard. The Lola Mk6 was chosen primarily because it already had a Ford V8 engine in it.

Even driver Ken Miles was British.

Shelby's scams could fill a book.

The "Shelby Cobra" was actually the British AC Ace. AC had lost their engine supplier, and was desperate. Shelby saw an opportunity to run a scam. He told AC that he could get them am engine supplier, if they gave him a free AC Ace, even though he had no engine supplier at that point. He also asked them to modify it to accept an American V8 engine. Then he tried to con Chevrolet out of an engine, but they saw through him and told him to go pound sand. Eventually he was able to con Ford out of two engines. So Shelby's role in the Cobra was simply installing a free engine in a free car, that had been modified by someone else for free, to accept that free engine.

Then there was the fake Cobra frames that he got busted for, when he fraudulently filed affidavits with the state of California to obtain "lost" titles, for cars that didn't exist. That one came unraveled when it was discovered that the frames had been stamped in the '90s, not in the '60s as Shelby had claimed.

And then there was the whole "Eleanor" Mustang Fiasco- altered VINs, stolen cars, two cars welded together in the middle, 50 pounds of bondo in each one, inmates of a local prison doing the work for free, and when the police started closing in, they started trying to hide the cars, by shuffling them around from warehouse, to barn, to storage units, until they finally got caught.

Anyone who idolizes Shelby, simply doesn't know much about him.
What about the Dodge Viper?

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
What about the Dodge Viper?
What about the Carroll Shelby Dodge Omni?

Carroll Shelby had nothing to do with the development of the Viper...
Sponsored