Go watch Ford vs. Ferrari

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
All celebrity is a scam to one degree or another.
I would rather build a car myself and put my own name on it.
Never thought much of Saleen's Mustangs either.
Personally I think Jack Roush has the most personal and professional credibility of the bunch, and even then you must keep it in perspective.
Sponsored

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
You guys realize that neither Ford nor Carroll Shelby "invented" the "Ford" GT40, right?

Shelby was a scam artist, a con man, and a criminal.

The "Ford" GT40 was in reality the British Lola Mk6, which already existed prior to Shelby coming onboard. The Lola Mk6 was chosen primarily because it already had a Ford V8 engine in it.

Even driver Ken Miles was British.

Shelby's scams could fill a book.

The "Shelby Cobra" was actually the British AC Ace. AC had lost their engine supplier, and was desperate. Shelby saw an opportunity to run a scam. He told AC that he could get them am engine supplier, if they gave him a free AC Ace, even though he had no engine supplier at that point. He also asked them to modify it to accept an American V8 engine. Then he tried to con Chevrolet out of an engine, but they saw through him and told him to go pound sand. Eventually he was able to con Ford out of two engines. So Shelby's role in the Cobra was simply installing a free engine in a free car, that had been modified by someone else for free, to accept that free engine.

Then there was the fake Cobra frames that he got busted for, when he fraudulently filed affidavits with the state of California to obtain "lost" titles, for cars that didn't exist. That one came unraveled when it was discovered that the frames had been stamped in the '90s, not in the '60s as Shelby had claimed.

And then there was the whole "Eleanor" Mustang Fiasco- altered VINs, stolen cars, two cars welded together in the middle, 50 pounds of bondo in each one, inmates of a local prison doing the work for free, and when the police started closing in, they started trying to hide the cars, by shuffling them around from warehouse, to barn, to storage units, until they finally got caught.

Anyone who idolizes Shelby, simply doesn't know much about him.
Your point? The history still happened and an iconic car/s was created - regardless of how it happened or what you think of the person responsible for it. If you want to talk about the questionable ethics of Carroll Shelby I'm all ears. I'm always up for learning historical backgrounds of people. But to say Ford got scammed an ended up with the AC Cobra? And then they were so stupid not to recognized how they were getting swindled that they fell for it again by development of the GT40 and winning Le Mans four times in a row? That's when you lost me.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
You guys realize that neither Ford nor Carroll Shelby "invented" the "Ford" GT40, right?

Shelby was a scam artist, a con man, and a criminal.

The "Ford" GT40 was in reality the British Lola Mk6, which already existed prior to Shelby coming onboard. The Lola Mk6 was chosen primarily because it already had a Ford V8 engine in it.

Even driver Ken Miles was British.

Shelby's scams could fill a book.

The "Shelby Cobra" was actually the British AC Ace. AC had lost their engine supplier, and was desperate. Shelby saw an opportunity to run a scam. He told AC that he could get them am engine supplier, if they gave him a free AC Ace, even though he had no engine supplier at that point. He also asked them to modify it to accept an American V8 engine. Then he tried to con Chevrolet out of an engine, but they saw through him and told him to go pound sand. Eventually he was able to con Ford out of two engines. So Shelby's role in the Cobra was simply installing a free engine in a free car, that had been modified by someone else for free, to accept that free engine.

Then there was the fake Cobra frames that he got busted for, when he fraudulently filed affidavits with the state of California to obtain "lost" titles, for cars that didn't exist. That one came unraveled when it was discovered that the frames had been stamped in the '90s, not in the '60s as Shelby had claimed.

And then there was the whole "Eleanor" Mustang Fiasco- altered VINs, stolen cars, two cars welded together in the middle, 50 pounds of bondo in each one, inmates of a local prison doing the work for free, and when the police started closing in, they started trying to hide the cars, by shuffling them around from warehouse, to barn, to storage units, until they finally got caught.

Anyone who idolizes Shelby, simply doesn't know much about him.
Wow I must destroy the signed Mustang and Cobra photos that I got from him ? He wa s one hell of a race car driver , salesman and promotion man . He also had a great charity for kids with heart ailments . Plus chevy turned him down , made me happy .
Sponsored

Last edited: