Gas Mileage @ 65mph

FirstRanger011

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD FX4
Last Friday I took a trip down to Galveston, TX for the entire week. While on the highway I decided to reset my trip and see what I was averaging for my MPG. After awhile, including some rush hour traffic, I decided to check where I was at and snapped this picture. 30 MPG! I think near the end of the trip after some stop lights and such I checked again and ended around 29 MPG.

IMG_3162.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Last Friday I took a trip down to Galveston, TX for the entire week. While on the highway I decided to reset my trip and see what I was averaging for my MPG. After awhile, including some rush hour traffic, I decided to check where I was at and snapped this picture. 30 MPG! I think near the end of the trip after some stop lights and such I checked again and ended around 29 MPG.

IMG_3162.jpeg
Nice to see a fellow Houston person on here. Maybe one day we can plan a trip to the beach or camp.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Hmmm. The best I seem to get on the highway at 65mph is 25-ish. I am lifted 2" in the front with 1" wheel spacers and 93 octane unleashed tune.... so maybe that's hurting my highway MPG.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Not bad considering you were going over 80! I would drive 65 all day if the speed limit was around 65. Most the speed limits where I drive in Texas are 75 so i'm typically not driving very fuel efficiently.
i get why there’s 75 mph speed limits here, it’s so wide open and the state is huge. But I do miss my comfortable, relaxed drives in NY with the 55 mph and amazing gas mileage in a truck.

When I drive back home, I exit I20 right around Sweetwater and make my way up to Lawton Oklahoma. In between there’s some amazingly smooth roads, two lane with virtually no shoulder, that anyone in any state would be jealous of. But man, even though not a lot of traffic travel it, it’s still sketchy, you can relax and next thing you know you’ve got car barreling on your ass. 75 is never fast enough either lol.

I always get a kick out of threads from people from the south west who travel at 80+ mph and then bitch about horrible gas mileage. Used to see those all the time on the F150 threads.

I would love test out the next gen Ranger in the North East on 93 octane. Can’t wait!

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
2021-04-02 17-33-32a.jpg

I've had several exceptional episodes, including this 75 mile trip that was mostly between 65 and 70.

This one included going up and down a mountain.

2021-04-02 17-33-41a.jpg
Those numbers are something to celebrate!

I just drove 200 miles with and avg speed of 75 and got 24.5 mpg in a FX4. My 2020 Ranger I had wtih 2WD would get 26-27 on that same trip going about 80. It's still hard to complain about 24.5 mpg in a truck with all terrians.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If anyone cares here's a comparison I just had....2019 xlt 4x4, stock tires lifted 1.8" in front an soft bed cover

Just drove from the Cleveland area to Louisville Ky area. 295 miles each way. cruise set on 75 most of the time. Dash showed 25.1 going south. Hand calculated was 25. Trip back showed 24.2. hit some rain an had some wind on the trip back.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
Just think, at 30 MPG on 17 gallons the range you'd have.
I just did 417 miles on 15 gallons of fuel, (27.8 mpg) and still had a solid 1/4 tank of fuel left. I'll take a range of 450 miles, I'm happy with that. Not sure, but the tank must be tweny gallons.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
True but the endless oil fields which bring massive 18 wheelers and heavy traffic.
Yep. Get me the fuck out of here. I’ve come to appreciate the beauty of the desert and the dryness, lack of humidity, but the flatness and lack of vegetation is killing me. I miss Appalachia. Not to mention exactly what’s described on here - good country driving, with relaxed speeds and good gas mileage (I wonder if I can train myself to look for deer again). You can’t even relax in a lot of places in West Texas. On some of these two way roads with virtually no shoulders, speed limit is 70 to 75 in some areas. Then you’ll have someone barreling up on your tail. I thought the South West was supposed to be slower lol.

I think if I ever move back down this way again I’m going to give New Mexico a try ?

By the way, some incredible gas mileage posted in this thread. I’ll be happy to see what my 2wd extended cab FX2 can do at 55-65 mph.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Average mpg on anything less than half a tank of gas doesn't tell you much.
My driving is mixed, I reset the mpg at every fill-up, and in slightly over a year of ownership I've never got less than 20 mpg on a tank. Literally almost 50% better than the Sport Trac I had before.
That said, highway mpg isn't much better. If I keep it under 70 mph I might see 23 mpg at best on a trip but then Pennsylvania has a lot of hills.
My work commute is about 18 miles, the first 12 of which are cow path roads that are very up and down hilly and you can go 50 mph at most.
I run 89 or E15 88.

Last edited:

KA5CVH

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ka5cvh.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Inspector
I have never reset Trip 1 since the day it rolled out of the dealership. That way I know what my lifetime MPG is. Right now its ~22MPG over ~8000 miles. Trip 2; I reset every time I fill up. That way I can see what I've done short term on just that tank. It hasn't been on a long trip yet and I usually don't reset that tank to tank until I get back home. I use the "Fuel Economy" view for day to day driving so I can see my instant fuel economy ... if I so choose.

YMMV

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
anytime i have reset mine, it continues to change for quite awhile

to me there is a fine line for accuracy on the average.
i don't reset it daily nor monthly.
i guess i do it more seasonally than anything, so every few months i start fresh.

to me its pointless to do it from day one and never reset it.
the mileage in those first few hundred miles gives you quite a deficit on the average.
and besides.....once ive driven the miles and recorded a mileage....its history never to be repeated so why hang onto it forever?
The only mileage gauge I pay attention too or trust is the one that tells me how many miles to empty..... :wink:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
The only mileage gauge I pay attention too or trust is the one that tells me how many miles to empty..... :wink:
Same here. I disabled the mpg reading as it's of no use to me.
There are so many variables, too many to list, that trying to keep track is useless. The "mpg at 65 mph" is one of them. Depends on load, road conditions, going up or down, % of grade, into wind or wind behind, what gas your using, even difference between gas brands. ect ect ect.
It becomes a moot point.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I would do a manual calculation in addition and compare the two.
Sponsored