2019 Ford Ranger Gas Mileage

Dextrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
HealthCare
what Kills me about this is that I traded in my 460 HP 2018 Mustang GT for this 4 banger and the mustang got 18mpg around town and 28 on the highway.
Me too! Had a 2014 mustang that was fun to drive and actually pretty good on gas. Traded it for a 2019 crewcab 2WD and avg about 22mpg on summer blend(mostly hwy & mostly light foot). I have a Livernois tune and a Big Mouth air intake with an upgraded Fast Bits BOV. The dash read 2mpg better than calculated until I corrected it. Anyway, I love the power this little truck makes. It's fun AND practical. Can't ask for much more. Enjoy it.
Sponsored

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
It seems to stay consistently at 21.1MPG for some reason. Never seen 22. Highway driving and pottering around town mainly...on Premium gas

Dextrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
HealthCare
Don’t go by the dash for mpg it’s way off! I have a 2019 xlt fx4 completely stock except for the bak flip tonneau cover during the summer I went upstate to the Catskills from Long Island drove up some steep hills too and got 25.3 going there and 25.8 true mpg coming back but my truck dash said I was getting 27.5mpg both times.
I have yet to see 25mpg & I have a 2x4! Why is it that the FX4s seem to get GREAT mileage on avg. Even better than the 2x4s. What makes the difference?

Reactions: Doc

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
My first 2 weeks of ownership I was getting 13.5 MPG. Stop light to stop light city driving and *maybe* a little too much fun with the Boost part. As I started driving more on the highway and stopped flooring it at every light (more like every third light) my MPG creeped up. On a trip to LA for my son's soccer game I was at 24.5 MPG driving 80/85. Right now my hand calculated average is 19.6 over 800 miles.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
At 35,250 miles, my mileage has improved over my last two oil changes. Went from 23.7 to 24.2Mpg. Not a huge increase, but consistent. I’m very pleased with my gas mileage, but if it wants to keep increasing….that’s fine with me too. :)

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Don't really keep track of the mpg...I need gas, I get gas. Maybe 19-20 mpg.
Ranger has almost the same power and performance of my old and gone 2007 Mustang GT, and like Ranger Pride, I drive it in a "spirited manner". Love the acceleration from stop signs and when entering interstate on ramps. Even at 72 years old, I still have fun driving, and the Ranger throws me back to my younger days.
It may be a truck, but it is sure fun to drive ! :like:
Oh, and I use 91 octane.

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
1 red line a day keeps the doctor away. I'm a big fan but have not really had many opportunities to use this concept since we bought the Ranger.
With 10k miles, 87, not driving hard, all tanks hand calculated.
At the beginning in January, I was getting about 17mph, slowly got better to 24 mpg
on a trip(best tank), last few tanks are down to 20mpg.
Will this be my average from now on, I think so??? I was hopping to see my average around 22.
I'll go with 60/40 h/c.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Looking for the most fuel-efficient midsize pickup? At 23 mpg combined 2019 Ford Ranger achieves exactly that and more...

If you've been following developments at Ford in recent years, the move away from traditional V6 gasoline engines to a future of turbocharged 4-cylinder engines is hard to ignore. The all-new Ranger was the latest to join, challenging the 'no replacement for displacement' crowd, with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine producing a V6 replacing 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 10-speed transmission.

It's close to the Colorado and Canyon, and even further from the 3.5-liter Tacoma, but still, no match to the Ranger as you factor in other essentials with the EPA-estimated rating. Combined MPG's of all mostly fluctuate from 21-23 mpg, influenced by their differences in city and highway mileage, and of course displacement. In the Rangers case that is 21 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined in 4x2 configuration.

The EPA-estimated rating to overall power output ratio is what gives the Ranger an advantage. Toyota's Atkinson-cycle 3.5-liter V6 barely beats the Ranger on power at 278 horses and takes a big dive on torque at just 265 lb-ft. GM's 2.5-liter 4-cylinder shared with the Cayon and Colorado drops even more to 191 lb-ft of torque and 200 horsepower. An available 3.6-liter V6 produces power and torque numbers closer to the Ranger.

These numbers also translate into another major positive, towing capacity. At 7,500 LBS the Ranger is the best in its segment, beating the Tacoma at 6400 LBS and Colorado/Canyon at 3,500 LBS. Upgrading to the V6 for just over $1,000 more in the GM products nets you 7,700 LBS. Its maximum payload of 1,860 LBS is also one of the best.

Ford set out to build a midsize pickup that largely reflects what the North Ameican public needs now and year into the future. If you're already sold on other aspects of the Ranger, the figures outlined here make it even more value packed.
Yeah, but it still needs a bigger fuel tank... :sunglasses:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Looking for the most fuel-efficient midsize pickup? At 23 mpg combined 2019 Ford Ranger achieves exactly that and more...

If you've been following developments at Ford in recent years, the move away from traditional V6 gasoline engines to a future of turbocharged 4-cylinder engines is hard to ignore. The all-new Ranger was the latest to join, challenging the 'no replacement for displacement' crowd, with a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine producing a V6 replacing 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 10-speed transmission.

It's close to the Colorado and Canyon, and even further from the 3.5-liter Tacoma, but still, no match to the Ranger as you factor in other essentials with the EPA-estimated rating. Combined MPG's of all mostly fluctuate from 21-23 mpg, influenced by their differences in city and highway mileage, and of course displacement. In the Rangers case that is 21 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined in 4x2 configuration.

The EPA-estimated rating to overall power output ratio is what gives the Ranger an advantage. Toyota's Atkinson-cycle 3.5-liter V6 barely beats the Ranger on power at 278 horses and takes a big dive on torque at just 265 lb-ft. GM's 2.5-liter 4-cylinder shared with the Cayon and Colorado drops even more to 191 lb-ft of torque and 200 horsepower. An available 3.6-liter V6 produces power and torque numbers closer to the Ranger.

These numbers also translate into another major positive, towing capacity. At 7,500 LBS the Ranger is the best in its segment, beating the Tacoma at 6400 LBS and Colorado/Canyon at 3,500 LBS. Upgrading to the V6 for just over $1,000 more in the GM products nets you 7,700 LBS. Its maximum payload of 1,860 LBS is also one of the best.

Ford set out to build a midsize pickup that largely reflects what the North Ameican public needs now and year into the future. If you're already sold on other aspects of the Ranger, the figures outlined here make it even more value packed.
This sounds like some kind of ad. :)

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
With my 285s + level + spacers + extra weight, I had accepted 17-18 MPG readings from dash read out...which doesn't account for actually miles traveled due to tire size and actual speed...however, my reading from OBD's GPS speed (and assuming distance calculated) + fuel flow sensor, it's calculation 21 MPGs...hmmm...wich do you guys think is more accurate?

img_8410-jpg.jpg

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
With my 285s + level + spacers + extra weight, I had accepted 17-18 MPG readings from dash read out...which doesn't account for actually miles traveled due to tire size and actual speed...however, my reading from OBD's GPS speed (and assuming distance calculated) + fuel flow sensor, it's calculation 21 MPGs...hmmm...wich do you guys think is more accurate?

img_8410-jpg.jpg
I'd go with the window sticker instead of those. :p