2019 Ford Ranger Gas Mileage

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
During my recent road trip I got 24.8 MPG. The majority of the trip was in a 55 MPH zone that often has a fair amount of police along the way looking for speeders. I set the cruise control at 58 MPH so I didn't have to be concerned with speed traps and just enjoy the drive. The route does have a lot of fairly steep hills along the way. So I was happy with the MPG considering my Ranger still has well under 1,000 miles on it.

Now back and mostly driving around town with a lot of short trips I'm showing 22.3 MPG. I'm a light footed driver though. My days of gunning a vehicle when the light turns green or merging on to the interstate are long gone as I have gotten older. Of course I did test my Ranger a few times shortly after I got it just to see what it could do. :)
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Of course I did test my Ranger a few times shortly after I got it just to see what it could do. :)
Yes, I too gun it occasionally...for...uh...testing purposes. These tests may be followed by my wife telling to wipe the silly grin off my face.

Khorus

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
20200628_095525.jpg

I have a very very heavy foot, also this trip was through a very curvy road with several steep hills and switchbacks. When I fill it up this go I'll hand calculate to make sure truck isn't lying to me.

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
Just bought 2019 XLT. 6 mo old w-12k in the ODO. Driving it home, 135 mile, all interstate at the speed limit, avg was 31 MPG!
Wow. I thought I did well on a trip from N Nevada to the Oregon Coast. I basically got 28 mpg down to the coast and 27 mpg on the way back up to Nevada. Someone said it best, it's eco or boost. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Very happy with my new STX.

Strider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I’ve been really curious about this topic as well. Bought my Ranger in November 2019. Usually I drive a 20 minute interstate work commute with basic small city driving otherwise. I haven’t been on a long mileage trip yet but haven’t cracked 18 mpg the entire time - per the dashboard number. Usually 17.5. Lately even seeing 16’s without the commute to work (WFH). Will be taking a 300 mile+ trip this weekend. Interested to see how it registers.
Update: I think it was a reset issue by yours truly. Just had 3 1/2 hour trip with half interstate half highway driving and got 25.7 mpg. All good in the hood and the Ranger is King again. :)

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
With just over 3,000 miles on my Ranger, I've yet to get anything higher than 21.5 mpg. This is with mostly highway miles at an average speed of 70 mph and completely stock so far. Truck has registered 22.5 mpg a couple of times after a tank, but when I do the actual math, it's always at least 1 mpg less. I have purposely driven it easy trying to get more, but it's just not happening. I do find it strange that mileage figures are all over the map for this vehicle.

I live in SoCal, so our roads are not nearly as flat as some areas of the country. One thing I think that does not help is the amount of throttle input that is required to maintain speed when encountering small inclines and changes in elevation along the road. The ECU should be detecting this increase much sooner to activate a downshift to the next lower gear so that the engine works easier. These trucks have 10 speed transmissions for a reason. It doesn't help that it will skip down 2 or 3 gears when it finally downshifts to speed back up. This is eating up mpg's.

My wife's Jag F-Pace has an 8 speed transmission with turbo 4 cyl. It reads the throttle input so much better and responds accordingly. It's a night and day difference to maintain speed for small changes in elevation.

Khorus

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
20200628_095525.jpg

I have a very very heavy foot, also this trip was through a very curvy road with several steep hills and switchbacks. When I fill it up this go I'll hand calculate to make sure truck isn't lying to me.
So finished out this tank of gas and at 24.6957 mpg, the dash was showing 25.4. So its not super far off.

White19Ranger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4
Occupation
Banker
Don’t go by the dash for mpg it’s way off! I have a 2019 xlt fx4 completely stock except for the bak flip tonneau cover during the summer I went upstate to the Catskills from Long Island drove up some steep hills too and got 25.3 going there and 25.8 true mpg coming back but my truck dash said I was getting 27.5mpg both times.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Don’t go by the dash for mpg it’s way off! I have a 2019 xlt fx4 completely stock except for the bak flip tonneau cover during the summer I went upstate to the Catskills from Long Island drove up some steep hills too and got 25.3 going there and 25.8 true mpg coming back but my truck dash said I was getting 27.5mpg both times.
Mine was the same and I recently adjusted it and got it to within .2 which is close enough for me. Just be aware it does take several tanks to get adjusted.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/

Okanagan Winemaker

Averaging 9.7L/100km (25 mpg) with a daily commute of 120 km 50/50 city/highway . Had our first major snowfall last week and I
can say the hankook’s suck! Getting Toyo GSI 6 winters installed
next week.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I have nearly 4,000mi of mixed driving, majority of which is 26mi round trip to and from work which is either 55 most of the way or 35 depending on pesky truck traffic. My Fuelly app says over those 4,000mi I'm at 22.8. Truck is on avg 1.0mpg+ off, so I pretty much use the Fuelly app exclusively for correct info. I'm no lead foot. Easy on easy off, unless I pull up next to a Taco at a stoplight :). I use 87 octane, mostly from Wawa, and have a soft roll tonneau. I also have the tailgate damper, so that's likely where the extra .8 came from.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Averaging 9.7L/100km (25 mpg) with a daily commute of 120 km 50/50 city/highway . Had our first major snowfall last week and I
can say the hankook’s suck! Getting Toyo GSI 6 winters installed
next week.
That’s pretty good. With a 2.5” leveling kit and bigger tires on the Hwy I’m getting 10.2L/100km city 12.7L/100km

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I am at 25.9 MPG and almost all around town driving...I have noticed that in the winter it takes that down and in summer it comes back up for two reasons I believe 1) Colorado has a winter mixture of fuel which does not seem to get as good of gas mileage and 2) until a vehicle warms in Colorado the engines revs up to get it up to temperature.
Sponsored