First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about silverflash. There were a few extreme cases in here where it would go well above the top hole in the dip stick within 2K miles. Fuel dilution in an oil analysis was coming back at 8%-10% with 2-3K of use. Direct injection motors seem to get a higher rate of fuel dilution so the standard of less than 2 or 3 percent might be a little low. With a Direct injected turbo motor just change it every 5K.

I had a similar experience when my truck was new with high oil level but my oil analysis came back at under 2% with just under 5K on the oil an 18K on the motor. My personal opinion is some are changing to pure synthetic too early. I waited until I had 3,500 on the motor to allow the rings an moving parts to seat. I hadn't had a high oil level since.
i hope so.

the dealer told me at that last oil change to drive it hard. I have been using sport mode in mountains and i love it. of course i do that only when she's warmed up good.

the oil looks dirty and it is thin. but if they don't care right now i won't. i am just trying to be proactive and maybe just maybe it will stop right below the top dot. if it does and i get thru the next 3000 miles or so without a rise, then i plan on going back to synthetic. by then, at 9000 miles it should be broken in. hopefully not just broken.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
i hope so.

the dealer told me at that last oil change to drive it hard. I have been using sport mode in mountains and i love it. of course i do that only when she's warmed up good.

the oil looks dirty and it is thin. but if they don't care right now i won't. i am just trying to be proactive and maybe just maybe it will stop right below the top dot. if it does and i get thru the next 3000 miles or so without a rise, then i plan on going back to synthetic. by then, at 9000 miles it should be broken in. hopefully not just broken.
My truck has been on the top dot or near it for 14,000 miles now. I've had it to the dealership 4 times the second time the HPFP was changed. Before the fuel pump change it was up to the twist on the stick, after it still would rise to the top dot. I was told it was ok at that point. It's been running with no problems so far. I change the oil every 5,000 miles since it has stabilized at the top dot. I use full synthetic!

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
My truck has been on the top dot or near it for 14,000 miles now. I've had it to the dealership 4 times the second time the HPFP was changed. Before the fuel pump change it was up to the twist on the stick, after it still would rise to the top dot. I was told it was ok at that point. It's been running with no problems so far. I change the oil every 5,000 miles since it has stabilized at the top dot. I use full synthetic!
i'd be totally happy with this. i will watch and pray.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Recently had my full syn oil and filter changed by my dealer. I asked my service advisor how they measured the new oil. Said it's programmed and the tech basically pushes a button. Assume that means 6.2 qts.

My oil level has always stayed ½ to ¾ up the distance between the hashmark top and top hole. I check after sitting overnight or longer after a good drive.

After this oil change, my SA had the tech check the oil level. After running a few minutes, then letting it sit 15 minutes, the level was near the top of the hashmarks. All within spec by the book.

I drove home (two hours), then checked the level two days later. Again ½ to ¾ up to the top hole.

In my case, the level difference between being near the top of the hashmarks or nearing the top hole appears to be whether it sits for 15 minutes or overnight.

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Recently had my full syn oil and filter changed by my dealer. I asked my service advisor how they measured the new oil. Said it's programmed and the tech basically pushes a button. Assume that means 6.2 qts.

My oil level has always stayed ½ to ¾ up the distance between the hashmark top and top hole. I check after sitting overnight or longer after a good drive.

After this oil change, my SA had the tech check the oil level. After running a few minutes, then letting it sit 15 minutes, the level was near the top of the hashmarks. All within spec by the book.

I drove home (two hours), then checked the level two days later. Again ½ to ¾ up to the top hole.

In my case, the level difference between being near the top of the hashmarks or nearing the top hole appears to be whether it sits for 15 minutes or overnight.
i have similar experiences. I do my own oil changes with a full synthetic oil. I add 6 quarts as not all typically drains out in my experience. Run the engine and check for leaks. Then check oil after cleaning up area etc. at least 15 mins pass. Checking the oil shows almost at hash mark upper.

I check the oil level in the morning before starting the engine. My experience has been the level increases on the dip stick about 1/4 inch from the time I checked it after oil service. Pretty much stays there for the life of the oil service. The oil level is always checked with truck in garage parked same location.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Fortunately, Blackstone found no fuel in the oil and everything is normal for the age of the truck, but just to watch for some of the readings in time to go down toward the averages, especially the Copper and Magnesium.

If there had been any fuel in the oil under <0.5, they would have indicated it with a TR for Trace. Any fuel in the oil above <0.5 would have been indicated with a numeral. The acceptable level of fuel in the oil is up to <2.0. Anything above this reading could be problematic.

Blackstone report (09-28-21).jpg

MTBranger

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4, 1994 Miata K-swap
Occupation
Design Engineer/ Racecars
Went till the oil life meter went to 15% 8700 miles. Fuel was just out of spec and wear was in line. Beginning of these miles were all over landing mtn passes in Colorado and a lot of highway hours.

A54EAE55-DAD9-4DF0-B6AD-36CBCFC5F72B.jpeg

kcoen

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 crew cab
I have stuck around this post for a while coming and going. I purchased my Ranger new in March of 2019, and have 11000 miles on it so far. I have done all of the oil changes myself with Ford semi-syn 5w30 and a FL910s filter.

I did not pay attention/notice the forum on the first oil change at approx 4300 miles.

Second oil change at approx 7775 miles I had done some reading here and noticed quite a bit of "extra oil" on my oil change, like quite a bit more than my 5qt empty jug+extra quart would hold filled to the brim. I was concerned. I purchased and added the oil on the change, it was not overfilled. Was going to send sample into Blackstone but never did.

Just did another oil change today at 10998 miles as it had been almost a year and computer said I was at 4% despite miles being low. I do not drive truck much.

This oil change was different though, I had read up on here and read the horror stories of the dealerships taking the trucks for extended periods of time just to change parts and make no difference.

I have an auto start stop eliminator installed since practically new with it set to not shut the engine off just for reference.

For this oil change I decided to drive the truck exclusively in sport mode and to make sure the truck is warmed up by the end of the drive whenever possible.

When doing the oil change today I noticed the oil level before changing the oil to be spot on to what it should be. when draining the oil and filling up the empty jugs, excessive oil was not noticed either. Oil did not reek of gas either. Measured in the exact 6.2qts and level looked to be where it was when drained on dipstick.

My opinion is that the stock tune for the truck/trans lugs the engine to achieve MPGS and in consequence allows the engine to run lean and not get up to temps to keep the excess gas out from the oil. Overtime diluting the oil.

I will continue to drive in S mode after these findings. Plus it is more fun. Hope this input from my own investigation is useful for you all.

PS: LETS GO BRANDON!!

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have stuck around this post for a while coming and going. I purchased my Ranger new in March of 2019, and have 11000 miles on it so far. I have done all of the oil changes myself with Ford semi-syn 5w30 and a FL910s filter.

I did not pay attention/notice the forum on the first oil change at approx 4300 miles.

Second oil change at approx 7775 miles I had done some reading here and noticed quite a bit of "extra oil" on my oil change, like quite a bit more than my 5qt empty jug+extra quart would hold filled to the brim. I was concerned. I purchased and added the oil on the change, it was not overfilled. Was going to send sample into Blackstone but never did.

Just did another oil change today at 10998 miles as it had been almost a year and computer said I was at 4% despite miles being low. I do not drive truck much.

This oil change was different though, I had read up on here and read the horror stories of the dealerships taking the trucks for extended periods of time just to change parts and make no difference.

I have an auto start stop eliminator installed since practically new with it set to not shut the engine off just for reference.

For this oil change I decided to drive the truck exclusively in sport mode and to make sure the truck is warmed up by the end of the drive whenever possible.

When doing the oil change today I noticed the oil level before changing the oil to be spot on to what it should be. when draining the oil and filling up the empty jugs, excessive oil was not noticed either. Oil did not reek of gas either. Measured in the exact 6.2qts and level looked to be where it was when drained on dipstick.

My opinion is that the stock tune for the truck/trans lugs the engine to achieve MPGS and in consequence allows the engine to run lean and not get up to temps to keep the excess gas out from the oil. Overtime diluting the oil.

I will continue to drive in S mode after these findings. Plus it is more fun. Hope this input from my own investigation is useful for you all.

PS: LETS GO BRANDON!!
Go post particularly the PS:

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
Does anyone notice that fuel dilution is worse after towing? I was fine until I towed a 6x10 enclosed trailer about 600 miles on a fresh oil change (400 miles when I started towing). At 1000 miles the oil smelled pretty bad and I took it to the dealer, and he though so too. I can tell I have an issue when the garage stinks like gasoline which to me is a safety and health issue. I wanted to run a sample but they already replace the oil as they were going to do a consumption test. It's back in after 1000 more miles, and now they say it has a bad purge valve, which is common with Fords. Parts will take 2 days so I'm driving a loaner. It's doesn't smell as bad but I only towed about 300 miles this time.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Does anyone notice that fuel dilution is worse after towing? I was fine until I towed a 6x10 enclosed trailer about 600 miles on a fresh oil change (400 miles when I started towing). At 1000 miles the oil smelled pretty bad and I took it to the dealer, and he though so too. I can tell I have an issue when the garage stinks like gasoline which to me is a safety and health issue. I wanted to run a sample but they already replace the oil as they were going to do a consumption test. It's back in after 1000 more miles, and now they say it has a bad purge valve, which is common with Fords. Parts will take 2 days so I'm driving a loaner. It's doesn't smell as bad but I only towed about 300 miles this time.
I've towed a 14' tandem, enclosed trailer approximately 3000 miles with no problem. At least to my knowledge. Sorry for your issue!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Yes, mine gets more dilution when towing my 4000 lb boat. Likely because it is in boost mode more.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
One more piece to the puzzle - the dealer replace the purge valve but I noticed (due to it being cold outside) my truck took a long time to warm up. Like 3 miles to get heat. That's a stuck thermostat and maybe the real cause of dilution as it's not getting hot enough. I wouldn't have noticed it in warm weather so that makes sense. Another appt next Friday to sort that out.

Are thermostats still mechanical or is there an electrical component to these now? Anyone else have this issue?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
One more piece to the puzzle - the dealer replace the purge valve but I noticed (due to it being cold outside) my truck took a long time to warm up. Like 3 miles to get heat. That's a stuck thermostat and maybe the real cause of dilution as it's not getting hot enough. I wouldn't have noticed it in warm weather so that makes sense. Another appt next Friday to sort that out.

Are thermostats still mechanical or is there an electrical component to these now? Anyone else have this issue?
Keep up updated on the thermostat!

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I thought the fuel in oil issue was fixed for newer models?
Sponsored