Fuel in oil

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Got my latest sample back after having my HPFP replaced under warranty and it seems to have remedied my fuel dilution problem! They only found trace amounts this go around and recommended i try a 6,000 mile interval this go round. So fingers crossed hopefully im on the up and up now!
Sponsored

Attachments

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Got my latest sample back after having my HPFP replaced under warranty and it seems to have remedied my fuel dilution problem! They only found trace amounts this go around and recommended i try a 6,000 mile interval this go round. So fingers crossed hopefully im on the up and up now!
How many miles did you have on the tested oil after the HPFP replacement? Mine lasted about 2 to 3 thousand miles then started up again. But is not near as bad of a issue as it was before the HPFP replacement.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I'm really struck by how quick these engines sheer down oil viscosity, even in engines that don't have the fuel in oil problem. I was planning on 5k oil change intervals but may have to lower that. There is no way I would go by the oil change monitor.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
I'm really struck by how quick these engines sheer down oil viscosity, even in engines that don't have the fuel in oil problem. I was planning on 5k oil change intervals but may have to lower that. There is no way I would go by the oil change monitor.
Yup I dont trust that oil life monitor AT ALL. And to answer the other question I put maybe 4,000 miles or so on this oil after hpfp replacement. This next interval will really let me know if replacing that hpfp did the trick or not but so far it is looking pretty good.

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Was it your dealer's idea to replace the HPFP? My dealer claims my 2.5-3.0 fuel dilution is not a problem and is due to short trips so there were no recommended actions on their end!!!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Was it your dealer's idea to replace the HPFP? My dealer claims my 2.5-3.0 fuel dilution is not a problem and is due to short trips so there were no recommended actions on their end!!!!
Hi Daniel,

Find another dealer....This dealer sucks....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Is there a reason why there isnt a tsb or some kind of lawsuit? I see this happening with way too many people, and zero mention on carcomplaints.com. Which is what i used to see if any known major issues were known when purchasing the truck.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Now the PCV system might be another issue. With a proper amount of fresh air turnover in the crankcase, the fuel vapor should be adequately removed. Could a restriction or improper valve switching be the cause ?
Hmmm....if your having this problem, why not try installing a catch can and see if that fixes the issue? Mind as well, right? I've had mine on for about 20K now and absolutely no fuel issues in the oil....<0.5% last Blackstone. (In all fairness, never had the problem)
Engine Build Date: 10/28/2019...Purchased 02/20/2020.
Just have to make sure and keep it emptied if it is a small can. Would recommend a large can...at least 7.5 oz.
Also, the UPR cans with the continuous vacuum are probably your best bet. I have a Mishimoto catch can and would definitely recommend there products, just get the XL can and the drain kit.....
Also, remember due to the chemistry of fuel when it is cold and wet you will need to empty that small 3.5 oz can every fill up. ;)
IMHO as always.....

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a reason why there isnt a tsb or some kind of lawsuit? I see this happening with way too many people, and zero mention on carcomplaints.com. Which is what i used to see if any known major issues were known when purchasing the truck.
I'm curious, since Ford obviously has not acknowledged this issue, has anyone with "fuel in the oil" or "an increase in oil volume between oil changes" actually had a problem that needed to be repaired or diagnosed? Has anyone had a noticeable decrease in power or some kind of sign the engine is not doing well? Just curious....this thread has been beat to death with stuff and I'm interested in long term data with this. I know a number of folks in here have been dealing with this issue for thousands of miles.....so how are your trucks running?

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I can only speak for myself. I am having issues in the morning with the truck slamming me in the back seat when it goes in gear. Also lately when I give it the gas going up a small incline, I have to push the pedal almost to the floor to get it to go.

Don’t know if it is related or not.

I now have a different dealer working on my issue since I moved out of state. Last time I had the oil changed with 5k on it they said they didn’t find gas in oil when they changed it nor was it overfilled. I asked for a sample to be pulled and they said they would be testing it themselves.

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Hmmm....if your having this problem, why not try installing a catch can and see if that fixes the issue? Mind as well, right? I've had mine on for about 20K now and absolutely no fuel issues in the oil....<0.5% last Blackstone. (In all fairness, never had the problem)
Just have to make sure and keep it emptied if it is a small can. Would recommend a large can...at least 7.5 oz.
Also, the UPR cans with the continuous vacuum are probably your best bet. I have a Mishimoto catch can and would definitely recommend there products, just get the XL can and the drain kit.....
Also, remember due to the chemistry of fuel when it is cold and wet you will need to empty that small 3.5 oz can every fill up. ;)
IMHO as always.....

Read the OPs 1st post

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
IMHO as always.....
You spend 30 to 40 thousand and have to come up with a fix on your own. Something is wrong with that picture. If that's what buying a new vehicle has come to better off fixing up an old one! NEW TECHNOLOGY I GUESS!!!

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
IMHO as always.....
Well, the thought had crossed my mind, but I don't want to do anything that could have any possibility, whatsoever, of Ford claiming it as a cause and denying warranty. Besides, it is Fords responsibility to honor their warranty.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
2000km & still good!

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
You spend 30 to 40 thousand and have to come up with a fix on your own. Something is wrong with that picture. If that's what buying a new vehicle has come to better off fixing up an old one! NEW TECHNOLOGY I GUESS!!!
Man I completely understand what you are saying. I feel very blessed not to have this issue! Just so you understand where I’m at on this...I’ll be honest, I had no idea these 2.3 L motors were the high performance machines that they really are until I bought the darn thing. Now I’m at that age where you get a little squirrely anyway at 57...you’ve got one foot still in your young side and 1.5 in the old bugger side. Saying that, ole papaw here never had a hot rod car or bike growing up so this is my first vehicle I can tinker with to make her go fast, then take her out and have some fun. I know this issue is very serious to some folks! I say this with ALL do respect but unless there is a mechanical problem from this, some folks may be overthinking this issue. That is why I asked about real problems associated with this fuel in the oil or expanding volume of oil issue.
Also, I am wondering if these motors were meant for regular driving? Seriously I wonder if you don’t drive it hard does it cause issues? Just my scientist hypothesis side showing up. Sounds like a study to me?
Who has a spreadsheet going on this for some real time data collection and analysis?
Sponsored