First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Can't figure this out went from the full mark to top hole in 342 miles and their telling me this is only 1% dilution what the hell is the rest of the rise in level . That's about 14 more ounces more in level rise!

View attachment 62455 View attachment 62455
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I am gong to keep an eye on you Sid as I plan on making mine a keeper. Probably would still be driving my 92 F250 that I sold in 2013 when we moved from Omaha to Dallas. Just didn't need the beast anymore. :thumbsup: Good Luck
Same here...no way to recoup what I've invested anyway...In 2003, I bought a brand new MINI Cooper S, join a forum and began modding the hell out of it...I still have it today even though most everyone who was on the party boat have long since sold or destroyed their MINI...no plan on selling her...lol...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Same here...no way to recoup what I've invested anyway...In 2003, I bought a brand new MINI Cooper S, join a forum and began modding the hell out of it...I still have it today even though most everyone who was on the party boat have long since sold or destroyed their MINI...no plan on selling her...lol...
Hi Sid,

My intro to a Mini was a 1071 Mini running in SCCA Road Racing. We converted it to 1275, but with a 3 main bearing crank...what a problem...Also, nothing was accessible with a wrench on the whole flippin' vehicle. Poor car overheated all the time. Driver was for sh*t. Glad to be way beyond this but my love for the original Mini is still there...just like the three wheel Morgan... Love/hate of British Engineering... Joe Lucas was the Prince of Darkness for example.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I have had no issues at all with my Ranger. I have had 4 oil changes. I have 23,000+ miles on it. I was curious whether or not I could smell gas in the oil. Checked it & the level was fine, but smelled like gas to me. Then I checked the oil in my Accent & it smelled exactly the same (noticed the level was a little high since the last oil change on it). This is not something I normally check, so I asked my husband to check behind me to see what he thought. He said no gas smell in either one (was mad about the techs overfilling the Accent). Anyway, I am relieved. I hope everyone having this issue finds a resolution and Ford does right by them.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Already had the HPFP replaced and engine scoped some time ago at 1,900 miles. At 3,423 dealer changed oil was almost up to twist. After 4,500 miles from the last oil change the level has reached the top of the overfull hole. Going to take it in for the third time and have it checked and the oil changed. Got a long road trip tomorrow and want to see what it checks when I get home. After the last long trip it actually went back down. We'll see.

Update: Checked my level last night a hour and a half after I got home. Level checked at top of overfull hole. Went back out this morning before my trip and it checks 1/8" below the overfull hole where it has been for the last 4,000 miles. Seems it does not get a good check unless you let it set overnight(that's when I normally check and record it). Well we will see what happen after the trip now.

Last edited:

jinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
From a deductive approach, it really sounds like previous suspicions by many are true--that it's caused by the cooler not letting the oil heat up enough. Does everyone's oil level go down back towards normal after long trips?

I'd imagine the problem isn't fixed in 2020's either; they aren't being driven as much on short trips because no one commutes due to covid. And the majority likely haven't had to change their oil yet in 2020 on their new vehicle.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
From a deductive approach, it really sounds like previous suspicions by many are true--that it's caused by the cooler not letting the oil heat up enough. Does everyone's oil level go down back towards normal after long trips?

I'd imagine the problem isn't fixed in 2020's either; they aren't being driven as much on short trips because no one commutes due to covid. And the majority likely haven't had to change their oil yet in 2020 on their new vehicle.
My oil has been changed twice on my 2020 (once at 465 miles and again at ~4300 miles). Yes, my oil level goes back down after a long highway trip. After the last oil change I've added ~800 miles of highway driving and the oil level on the dipstick was stable. Lately I am doing more town driving and I expect it is probably going to rise again.

If it was not for this thread i would probably be oblivious to the oil dilution issue and probably happier too.

Last edited:

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Already had the HPFP replaced and engine scoped some time ago at 1,900 miles. At 3,423 dealer changed oil was almost up to twist. After 4,500 miles from the last oil change the level has reached the top of the overfull hole. Going to take it in for the third time and have it checked and the oil changed. Got a long road trip tomorrow and want to see what it checks when I get home. After the last long trip it actually went back down. We'll see.

Update: Checked my level last night a hour and a half after I got home. Level checked at top of overfull hole. Went back out this morning before my trip and it checks 1/8" below the overfull hole where it has been for the last 4,000 miles. Seems it does not get a good check unless you let it set overnight(that's when I normally check and record it). Well we will see what happen after the trip now.
Update: Well didn't work out like I thought. Took my trip and checked the oil level next day and no change. But it was 30 degrees out and snowing that may have played a factor it the oil temp. But at least it didn't go up.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'll second this cool oil theory. An hour or so after a short trip I checked the oil. At first pull of dipstick it smelled like fuel and level was covering the twist in the dipstick. After a wipe and reinsert level was back down to just below the upper hole, where it was when changed some 2k miles ago. So it appears that small amounts of fuel may rise to the top then evaporate off with hot oil. FYI Most of my trips are of sufficient length to create a lot of heat in the engine.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

What would be a long trip? My daily commute is 50 miles round trip and I believe my fuel dilution is worse than most. I am about halfway to the 5000 miles that the Ford wants me to drive on this oil change and the level has been hovering around the top of the twist for a couple weeks now, Last time it was at that level, when the oil was changed, ~7.8qts was drained, so 1.6qts of fuel? On the bright side, the truck pretty much still runs like it did when it was new, although, I am worried for how long? That much fuel dilution must be slowly killing my engine?

jinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
What would be a long trip? My daily commute is 50 miles round trip and I believe my fuel dilution is worse than most. I am about halfway to the 5000 miles that the Ford wants me to drive on this oil change and the level has been hovering around the top of the twist for a couple weeks now, Last time it was at that level, when the oil was changed, ~7.8qts was drained, so 1.6qts of fuel? On the bright side, the truck pretty much still runs like it did when it was new, although, I am worried for how long? That much fuel dilution must be slowly killing my engine?
Yep sorry about that frustration friend, I read the whole entire thread conversation and saw your issue continue while others had fixes. Hang in there.

I wonder what the result would be for you and the levels if you used a dipstick or oil pan heater for a few weeks. Although 25 and then 25 miles should heat it really good...

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Yep sorry about that frustration friend, I read the whole entire thread conversation and saw your issue continue while others had fixes. Hang in there.

I wonder what the result would be for you and the levels if you used a dipstick or oil pan heater for a few weeks. Although 25 and then 25 miles should heat it really good...
I’m not sure if 25 miles is enough. You need enough miles to get the oil hot and then you need to drive some more to evacuate the fuel. Only speculation on my part.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I’m not sure if 25 miles is enough. You need enough miles to get the oil hot and then you need to drive some more to evacuate the fuel. Only speculation on my part.
Even if you're correct that it needs to be more than 25 miles, how can Ford justify that to consumers? It would be like Steve Jobs telling people they're holding their phone wrong because they screwed the pooch on their design. Not going to sit well with most owners.
Sponsored