OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Yes, I realize that. However, there is definitely a lot of water in some of the photos of these cans that are almost full to the brim. I've dealt with it myself in my Mustang, but not even close to the extent that is shown here. However, it looks just like what I have pulled from my car in the cooler months.
I had the same thought about the water myself. So as a test I put the c
Hello all, just registered here. Been reading a lot of posts to learn about my new ranger.

Just checked my oil. It is slightly above the grid and still below the dot. It definitely has a fuel smell. Also seems to have some wear, black when whiped onto towel.

Purchased the vehicle less than a month ago with a little over 600 miles. Been using it for trips, one long one, and some driving around town. It now has 1903 miles.

I just wanted to check in here. I hope everyone gets good results with their vehicles. I know we paid enough for them. I'm hoping this one is as good or better than the last two Rangers I've had. Keep us posted on the fuel in oil observations.

Thanks,

Bruce
If it's still below the top dot I'd say you're safe! Keep an eye on it though. And you'll naturally have more wear on that first oil change just from the engine break in.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Yes, I realize that. However, there is definitely a lot of water in some of the photos of these cans that are almost full to the brim. I've dealt with it myself in my Mustang, but not even close to the extent that is shown here. However, it looks just like what I have pulled from my car in the cooler months.
I had the same to thought about water, even though I was living in hot, dry, west Texas. So I put the concoction into a spray bottle and sprayed it onto an open flame. Sure enough it ignited about as well as anything. So I ruled out water as a primary ingredient in that mix.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hello all, just registered here. Been reading a lot of posts to learn about my new ranger.

Just checked my oil. It is slightly above the grid and still below the dot. It definitely has a fuel smell. Also seems to have some wear, black when whiped onto towel.

Purchased the vehicle less than a month ago with a little over 600 miles. Been using it for trips, one long one, and some driving around town. It now has 1903 miles.

I just wanted to check in here. I hope everyone gets good results with their vehicles. I know we paid enough for them. I'm hoping this one is as good or better than the last two Rangers I've had. Keep us posted on the fuel in oil observations.

Thanks,

Bruce
Due to the Fuel smell, Change it after break in.. 1000- 1500 miles..
Regards

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Mine was above the mark so I had the dealer change the oil at 2500 miles and note the level.

Now at 3600 miles and the level hasn't budged so I'm hoping it was just the break-in and rings seating.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Mine was above the mark so I had the dealer change the oil at 2500 miles and note the level.

Now at 3600 miles and the level hasn't budged so I'm hoping it was just the break-in and rings seating.
Found some interesting material on fuel dilution at Spectro Scientific, white paper!

Attachments

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Update: After dealer swapped out all new injectors and HPFP, the first 300 miles the oil level rose from just above the hash marks to the max level hole, for the next 700 miles it hovered around the max level hole and I was thinking I might be good to go, but the last 400 miles it has been creeping up again and is now 3/8in above the max hole. So in 1400 miles it went from just above the hash marks to 3/8in above the max mark which is about where the dealer had originally collected an oil sample that came back as 12% fuel dilution. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, but I don't know what there is left to try? I have no confidence this motor is going to last a while. Shame, I love the truck otherwise.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Update: After dealer swapped out all new injectors and HPFP, the first 300 miles the oil level rose from just above the hash marks to the max level hole, for the next 700 miles it hovered around the max level hole and I was thinking I might be good to go, but the last 400 miles it has been creeping up again and is now 3/8in above the max hole. So in 1400 miles it went from just above the hash marks to 3/8in above the max mark which is about where the dealer had originally collected an oil sample that came back as 12% fuel dilution. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, but I don't know what there is left to try? I have no confidence this motor is going to last a while. Shame, I love the truck otherwise.
I would like to know what makes this level hold at or around the upper hole. Mine held there for 1200 miles. I changed the oil because I had dilution from the full hash mark to the upper hole after HPFP change. I filled it to the full hash mark and in 200 miles I'm about an eighth inch from the upper hole. Drained 12ozs. of oil off today with 210 miles on the oil, it's black looks like 3000 on it. Has to be wearing the hell out of the motor!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I would like to know what makes this level hold at or around the upper hole. Mine held there for 1200 miles. I changed the oil because I had dilution from the full hash mark to the upper hole after HPFP change. I filled it to the full hash mark and in 200 miles I'm about an eighth inch from the upper hole. Drained 12ozs. of oil off today with 210 miles on the oil, it's black looks like 3000 on it. Has to be wearing the hell out of the motor!
You folks that are having "fuel in oil" issues, what fuel (Brand and Octane) are you using?

The reason I ask is I was reading up on how the knock detection system works in the ecoboost and I am wondering if the fuel in the oil has some connection with fuel grade.

I've been running 91 octane in our Ranger, with no fuel dilution issues.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
You folks that are having "fuel in oil" issues, what fuel (Brand and Octane) are you using?

The reason I ask is I was reading up on how the knock detection system works in the ecoboost and I am wondering if the fuel in the oil has some connection with fuel grade.

I'm using 91 octane ethanol free fuel. Occasionally 93 from other stations. Right now I'm hoping the injectors have fixed the issue for me. Finishing a road trip today and I'll feel confident after that.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I'm using 91 octane ethanol free fuel. Occasionally 93 from other stations. Right now I'm hoping the injectors have fixed the issue for me. Finishing a road trip today and I'll feel confident after that.
87 octane, Mobil 1 5/30 oil!!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Have you always used premium in your truck?

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

I have always run 87 octane. Truck runs great other than making it's own oil.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have always run 87 octane. Truck runs great other than making it's own oil.
Just for everybody's information on this thread, my oil was at top hole drained a little at a time got down to the top hash fill mark. Let sit and checked again right at fill mark. Drained in measured container and got 16 Oz's.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll throw my hat in this unfortunate ring. Oil change last week at 4,000.

Checked it today - wreaks of gas and is at slightly elevated levels. April 2019 engine build, if that’s still a consideration here.

Will keep checking, and our driveway isn’t the most level place to check, but I suspect it’s bound for another visit to the dealership.

Appreciate the insights above. May help in discussion with the dealership.

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I’ll throw my hat in this unfortunate ring. Oil change last week at 4,000.

Checked it today - wreaks of gas and is at slightly elevated levels. April 2019 engine build, if that’s still a consideration here.

Will keep checking, and our driveway isn’t the most level place to check, but I suspect it’s bound for another visit to the dealership.

Appreciate the insights above. May help in discussion with the dealership.
What brand and octane fuel are you running?
Sponsored