JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Im thinking the stop/start feature contributes to the fuel in the oil. Just a hunch, but when mine stops even after the restart feels like it kinda flooded acting for about a block and doesn't do that when i have it shut off. Going to change the oil at 1000 mile and keep the feature off and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for the info.
As diagnosed earlier in this thread, I am getting 25 MPG in the city/30 on hwy, have verified no increase in crankcase level, and never shut off my auto start/stop feature, with the majority of our travels within the city. Total mileage now at 9300, purchased in Aug, and third oil change done 2/24.
I believe fuel mileage is a very good indicator initially, to be watching the crank case level, and I agree, as many here suspect, the High Pressure Fuel Pump as the possible/ likely culprit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
As diagnosed earlier in this thread, I am getting 25 MPG in the city/30 on hwy, have verified no increase in crankcase level, and never shut off my auto start/stop feature, with the majority of our travels within the city. Total mileage now at 9300, purchased in Aug, and third oil change done 2/24.
I believe fuel mileage is a very good indicator initially, to be watching the crank case level, and I agree, as many here suspect, the High Pressure Fuel Pump as the possible/ likely culprit.
Thanks good info. Appreciate the help. Not really going to worry much till after the first oil change. Mines not over full but does smell like gas. But I believe I need to get through the break in period before I will really know.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Your gas mileage is insanely good. Your city miles must be quite different from mine...Hell even my good highway mileage is like 24-25mpg and that's on the interstate with cruise control on.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Your gas mileage is insanely good. Your city miles must be quite different from mine...Hell even my good highway mileage is like 24-25mpg and that's on the interstate with cruise control on.
Yours is a 4x4??? My truck is 4x2 I also found the mileage increased, when I added the Composite Tonnueau Cover--Weighs about 80 lbs, but the fuel mileage went up about 20%- Big surprise!! :clap: And I just bought it for added security!!

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Yours is a 4x4??? My truck is 4x2 I also found the mileage increased, when I added the Composite Tonnueau Cover--Weighs about 80 lbs, but the fuel mileage went up about 20%- Big surprise!! :clap: And I just bought it for added security!!
Interesting. I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and I didnt notice any significant difference really in fuel mileage. Yes mine is 4x4 so that hits me a bit.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
RANGER OIL SAMPLE.jpg

Sorry for the picture being sideways lol but anyways finally got my analysis back. 2.8% fuel dilution and it is causing the viscosity of the oil to go down prematurely. Also notice the flashpoint of the oil. And this is only 4k miles on Amsoil XL which I ran in my focus for almost 9kmiles with no issues. There is definitely something going on here. Having my service advisor write up another ticket and seeing how Ford is going to tell us to handle it. I'll update as I get more info.

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Thanks for the info. Im thinking the stop/start feature contributes to the fuel in the oil. Just a hunch, but when mine stops even after the restart feels like it kinda flooded acting for about a block and doesn't do that when i have it shut off. Going to change the oil at 1000 mile and keep the feature off and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for the info.
Why do you suspect the stop/start feature contributes to fuel in the crankcase. My ranger now has 4500 miles on it. Never had fuel in the oil I use the start stop feature. Oil change at 3k no issues. Last trip 2800 miles avg. 25mpg combined.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My oil is over full an smells like gas. I have 2400 miles on it, never use the start/stop an drive about 11 miles each way to work so it should get good an warm. Been avg around 18-19 combined with 87. I ran a tank of 91 an got 17 mpg but we had a cold snap. I rarely use the sport mode either. I'm just over a quarter tank into this tank an I tried 89 an it's been quite a bit warmer an so far it's a little over 20 mpg.

I made an appointment at the dealership svc department for next Fri. I asked if they had any complaints of gas in the oil an they said none at all. I'm hoping for a free oil change to get rid of the gassy oil an hope it goes away.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So I am now at almost 3k miles...Check oil weekly same time early morning and stone cold engine since the notice of gas smell...Oil level is steady but gas smell is there.. First oil change will be at 5k but sill keep checking my oil level...

autos top has been off for most of trucks life using night light and I make sure I get it up to temp when I drive it....So no short one mile treks... Gas mileage is steady in the 21/22 range for rural driving in winter with some picking up grand kids in school line...

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
So I am now at almost 3k miles...Check oil weekly same time early morning and stone cold engine since the notice of gas smell...Oil level is steady but gas smell is there.. First oil change will be at 5k but sill keep checking my oil level...

autos top has been off for most of trucks life using night light and I make sure I get it up to temp when I drive it....So no short one mile treks... Gas mileage is steady in the 21/22 range for rural driving in winter with some picking up grand kids in school line...
Send in a sample when you change at 5000.
regards

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
My oil is over full an smells like gas. I have 2400 miles on it, never use the start/stop an drive about 11 miles each way to work so it should get good an warm. Been avg around 18-19 combined with 87. I ran a tank of 91 an got 17 mpg but we had a cold snap. I rarely use the sport mode either. I'm just over a quarter tank into this tank an I tried 89 an it's been quite a bit warmer an so far it's a little over 20 mpg.

I made an appointment at the dealership svc department for next Fri. I asked if they had any complaints of gas in the oil an they said none at all. I'm hoping for a free oil change to get rid of the gassy oil an hope it goes away.
You need to tell them to check the fuel pump, you need to notify Ford Corperate, changing the oil will help BUT not if they dont do anything about fuel getting into the oil.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
what do I need to notify corporate about? If they don't find anything?

You need to tell them to check the fuel pump, you need to notify Ford Corperate, changing the oil will help BUT not if they dont do anything about fuel getting into the oil.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Pulled an oil sample about a week ago at around 2000 miles on my current oil. Got the sample back and 'surprise', there's fuel in the oil ?‍♂ The interesting thing this time around is that I didn't observe a noticeable increase in the oil level; it's consistently been right at the top hole on the dipstick, although measuring what is drained would be a better indicator. I also don't notice the fuel smell as much, but do catch a whiff every now and then...wonder if I'm just getting used to it.

I'm coming up on 3000 miles on the same oil now, so will go ahead and schedule with the dealership again to see if they can look further into the issue this time, and at a minimum, get the oil changed.

BlackStone_4March2020.JPG

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
what do I need to notify corporate about? If they don't find anything?
Really, you stated the crankcase is overfilled and oil smells of gas. I suggest you read this "fuel in oil" Thread from the first post. Also read your owners manual IE: The part about overfilling the crankcase

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought there might be a TSB to reference
Sponsored