First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
There in lies the problem for those of us with this issue. If it was more widespread, Ford would have to put some resources into figuring out what the problem is. I just wish I could speak to, or email, the person making the decision that I need to drive 5000 more miles with a crankcase overfull and rising. Heck, I would be satisfied with that person just giving me a printout directing me to do such, and what they feel is to be gained by doing so, and that it is safe to do. I have asked both the dealer and Ford Customer Care for that and they refuse to do so. I am stuck, I either do what they say or start changing my oil myself when it rises past the max mark, but an oil change every 2 weeks would get very expensive. Knowingly driving around a vehicle, you really like, with the oil level high and fuel diluted, is a very difficult thing to do.
Did your truck ever throw any codes with this problem? They tell me it's strange their were no codes stored for my problem. In all my trips no codes for this problem were ever mentioned.

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Did your truck ever throw any codes with this problem? They tell me it's strange their were no codes stored for my problem. In all my trips no codes for this problem were ever mentioned.
They keep telling me I should be throwing a code too.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Nope, never had any codes, even when there was 1.6qts of added fuel in the crankcase.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Nope, never had any codes, even when there was 1.6qts of added fuel in the crankcase.
Thanks, going back in in a couple of days when they have a loaner for me. I'll let you know what they do with mine this time. Of course they didn't even change my injectors yet, should be at least that this time and probably the leak down test! Kind of sounded like more of this is showing up the way they talked.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Have my truck at the dealership now there is a service bulletin out on this problem now. Oil rose about a half inch on the stick in 340 miles, we'll see what their next step is going to be now!
If there is a TSB, I think that could be very helpful for me. Can you ask your dealer what the TSB # is?

I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership that has been working on my truck. I am not allowed to contact the Field Service Engineer, so I asked him if he could relay some questions I had about about the Engineer requiring me to run 5000 miles before doing anymore service. My oil level is currently up to the twist and I have 4800 miles yet to go. Of course, most of my questions went unanswered, but the Engineer replied (the manager read me the email) that my oil samples, although they had high fuel dilution and oil was out of spec viscosity wise, that the wear metals were low, so I should not worry. He went on to say that he believes that the fuel in oil issue may be a characteristic of the Ford Ranger 2.3L.

The wear metals were low, but so were the miles on the oil, heck one sample only had 500 miles on it. The manager seemed to think it was possible that they want me to keep putting miles on it to see how bad it gets, to get some real world data on an issue they are starting to see. If that is the case, they should "experiment" with a truck they own, and not one that I own. It really feels like I am being stolen from, as I have no real choice in the decision. I do feel this is a breech of the warranty, so I will be contacting a lawyer. From what I have gathered online, these lemon law attorneys, if they feel you have a case, will represent free of charge to the customer, as Ford has to foot the bill if they lose? Being a lifelong Ford guy, I hate even considering that route, but Ford is not giving me many options.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
If there is a TSB, I think that could be very helpful for me. Can you ask your dealer what the TSB # is?

I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership that has been working on my truck. I am not allowed to contact the Field Service Engineer, so I asked him if he could relay some questions I had about about the Engineer requiring me to run 5000 miles before doing anymore service. My oil level is currently up to the twist and I have 4800 miles yet to go. Of course, most of my questions went unanswered, but the Engineer replied (the manager read me the email) that my oil samples, although they had high fuel dilution and oil was out of spec viscosity wise, that the wear metals were low, so I should not worry. He went on to say that he believes that the fuel in oil issue may be a characteristic of the Ford Ranger 2.3L.

The wear metals were low, but so were the miles on the oil, heck one sample only had 500 miles on it. The manager seemed to think it was possible that they want me to keep putting miles on it to see how bad it gets, to get some real world data on an issue they are starting to see. If that is the case, they should "experiment" with a truck they own, and not one that I own. It really feels like I am being stolen from, as I have no real choice in the decision. I do feel this is a breech of the warranty, so I will be contacting a lawyer. From what I have gathered online, these lemon law attorneys, if they feel you have a case, will represent free of charge to the customer, as Ford has to foot the bill if they lose? Being a lifelong Ford guy, I hate even considering that route, but Ford is not giving me many options.
I asked the service manager for the TSB # when I went back to get my truck . They had given me mis_ information according to her their is none! That was a let down when she told me that. I will keep you informed on anything I find out!

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
I have a brand new Ranger, 200 miles on it and love it so far. I was reading this thread and decided to check the smell of the oil on the dip stick. Mine had a smell on it similar to gas, not sure if the new oil had a strong smell or not but was a strong smell. The feel and look of the oil seems ok. I have attached a picture of the paper towel I used to wipe the dip stick a few times. Does this seem like the same issue?

0.jpg

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have a brand new Ranger, 200 miles on it and love it so far. I was reading this thread and decided to check the smell of the oil on the dip stick. Mine had a smell on it similar to gas, not sure if the new oil had a strong smell or not but was a strong smell. The feel and look of the oil seems ok. I have attached a picture of the paper towel I used to wipe the dip stick a few times. Does this seem like the same issue?

0.jpg
I wouldn't worry about the smell, and just keep an eye on the level. If it is not rising past the max level mark and beyond, I would not be concerned. After a lot of researching, it seems a little fuel dilution is the nature of the beast for these DI, turbo'd engines and nothing to worry about unless the oil level continues to climb, then something else would be amiss.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Same trend here. Three oil changes in 1500 miles and its above max fill dot again. 7000 miles total.

Dilution was 1.5% at 600 miles of use; high for the duration. I will test again at 2000.

Dealership claims Ford won’t allow additional testing or a fix because it’s not throwing a code. The dipstick level isn’t enough.

Keep calling Ford...more the merrier.

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
I wouldn't worry about the smell, and just keep an eye on the level. If it is not rising past the max level mark and beyond, I would not be concerned. After a lot of researching, it seems a little fuel dilution is the nature of the beast for these DI, turbo'd engines and nothing to worry about unless the oil level continues to climb, then something else would be amiss.
Thank you for the reassurance Moto! I love this truck and just picked it up and haven't driven more than 30 miles. I'm guessing that nothing major has happened to these trucks as a result.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Same trend here. Three oil changes in 1500 miles and its above max fill dot again. 7000 miles total.

Dilution was 1.5% at 600 miles of use; high for the duration. I will test again at 2000.

Dealership claims Ford won’t allow additional testing or a fix because it’s not throwing a code. The dipstick level isn’t enough.

Keep calling Ford...more the merrier.
I wouldn't be worried at all about 1.5% at 600 miles, I was at 12% at 500 miles. Just keep an eye on the level. Mine would rise very quickly to the max level, about a 1/10in every 50 miles, then it would slow down until it was near the twist, and then it would start rising quickly again. I can only guess it has something to do with the shape of the engine cavity and how it fills? I've been thru 6 oil changes since this started and it has been very consistent, although I have noticed that when the weather was very hot, back in mid summer, it seemed to rise a bit slower.

Also, I have never thrown any codes, what code do they think should show up. The dealer should at least acknowledge that an oil level above the max mark could cause engine damage, at least that is what it states in the owner's manual. My advice would be, if the oil level keeps rising, open a case# with Ford Customer Care and keep very good records of all service visits.

Good luck moving forward, let us know what the 2000 mile check comes in at.