Fuel in oil

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Somejoe, FYI the newer Tacos have bad fuel pumps also and they wont be available for months.
Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Subaru all have recalls owing to low pressure denso fuel pump failures. Not many have actually failed but can cause the vehicle to stall.
Sponsored

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is very similar to my experience. Received my 2020 XLT in mid August (February build). Wife only does daily short drives which really doesn’t get the engine hot. In late September after reading this I checked the oil for the first time. Mileage was just over 600km (400 miles). Oil level was about at the twist or 3/8in above top hole. Also seemed diluted but that is subjective. Took the truck for a couple of hour highway run, about 400km. Recheck of level had it go back to just about the top hole, maybe 1/16in above. After another week of short drives oil level is back up to about 1/4in above top hole.
Am I concerned, yes. I will shut off the auto start/stop for short drives, as a precaution. I also expect to be replacing the oil at far less than 8000km (5000 miles) since it probably won’t see half that in a year. But I have faith in Ford Engineering over a dealership and will watch for a TSB. I’ve had bad dealership experiences in the past and it will be only be my choice to go there if forced to.
In my past career working for a tier one supplier, I had a number of dealings with Ford Powertrain and they do take warranty pretty seriously. If they identify a problem a TSB will be issued. If the problem appears after five years, I would doubt it unless it is safety related. But what is strange is I have yet to see a failure relating to this posted anywhere.
In my case, I never use the auto/start stop, as I added a nightlight very early on to circumvent it. I never take short drives, as I live out in the country and it is 12 miles to the nearest small town and 25 miles to where I work. While I don't think this is a widespread problem, I believe if you have the issue and it is rising as far as the twist, you have a bigger issue than just short trips. The issue is even worse when it is cold out. For reference, I (dealer) had 2 oil tests done, both were just below the twist, and they came back 12% and 13% fuel dilution and viscosity was way under spec. As far as failures go, I believe there was one person on one of the Facebook groups who had an engine failure. I believe he replaced it with another Ranger.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
Well Im back to 3.0% fuel dilution and just checked my dipstick after coming to work this morning and letting it sit about 20 minutes and it was almost to the twist on the dipstick. Having one of my advisors write me a ticket so the tech can write to Ford Hotline. I want to keep documenting the issue that way if something does happen to my motor I will have something to fall back on like them telling me its "normal operation" for these motors. Blackstone still says I should be fine as long as I keep the intervals for oil change around 4k. Because the fuel dilution is killing the viscosity on the oil they don't recommend me going much over 4k. Im at just under 16k miles on the truck and just averaged 20.25mpg on this last tank of gas. The most concerning thing about all this is the crankcase being over full and causing harm to my motor.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Subaru all have recalls owing to low pressure denso fuel pump failures. Not many have actually failed but can cause the vehicle to stall.
I think Toyota, while still maintaining healthy sales volume has been on a decline with respect to overall value and reliability, the latter despite being notoriously slow to incorporate newer technologies. Couldn't convince my son of that though as he plunked down $30k for a 2016 TRD Taco with 60k miles on it, I enjoyed showing him my 2019 Ranger Lariat, pretty well equipped that I picked up for $34.2 with 700 miles on the odo. But in Colorado Toyota remains the overall sales leader, I see many many Tacos and a good many Tundras.
Also see a lot of the FJ cruisers - which Toyota quit making but a lot of makers back in the specialized off road segment (Bronco) , wonder if they'll bring it back .

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Update..........I am very unhappy. Dealer called, told me to pick up the truck, they did not fix anything. The Ford Engineer recommended I drive the truck until the next oil change (at least 5000 miles) and that they wanted an oil sample with at least 5000 miles on the oil. Mind you, I already have 2 samples, taken by the dealer, that show 12% & 13% fuel dilution at as little as 500 miles. I was told not to worry about the rising level and to not even check the oil. Supposedly from the Ford Engineer, "tell the customer not to worry, his warranty goes out plenty far enough". WTF, I said I need to get it in writing that the truck is safe to drive no matter how high the fuel dilution or oil level gets. The dealer would not give me that. In fact, since it is an "open" line, they refused to give me any paperwork. I got pretty steamed, and made them print off the email from the Ford engineer stating I should drive the vehicle for at least 5000 miles before bringing it back in. They deleted the contact information, but copied the one line that stated the above.

To boot, they said they changed the oil, but I did not get the typical window cling sticker, or the oil reset, and when I got home to check the oil, it is about a 5/16in above the max mark, very thin, and darker than expected, very close to the level it was at when I dropped it off? I contacted the dealership and they guaranteed me it was changed and that it goes dark after just running the engine a little while. I told them they were talking to a guy that has been checking his oil daily for the past 7 months, thru 6 oil changes in that time, and that I knew what a fresh oil change looked like on the Rangers dipstick.

I contacted Ford Customer Service and explained that I will need something in writing that indicates that the truck will not become a fire hazard or a stalling hazard, as I am not willing to put myself or my family in danger. I am sure it probably is not much of an issue when the level rises to where it has been rising in the 500 - 1000 mile range, but 5000 miles seems ludicrous at this point? Not to mention, the oil level is well over the max level, just below the twist, as it sits.

Oh and they said they fixed the AC, it was only low on Freon, which made me wonder why I didn't have AC all summer, when the fix was that easy (I have been asking them to fix it for quite some time)? Well, the AC still does not work, had it on max all the way home, 20+ miles, and it was 59F outside, I don't think it even reached that temp? Not a good day, hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Wow and the owners manual says do not over fill the crankcase else engine damage will occur and they have no problem with that. I would definitely demand documentation to protect your interests. Don't give up and good luck.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Update..........I am very unhappy. Dealer called, told me to pick up the truck, they did not fix anything. The Ford Engineer recommended I drive the truck until the next oil change (at least 5000 miles) and that they wanted an oil sample with at least 5000 miles on the oil. Mind you, I already have 2 samples, taken by the dealer, that show 12% & 13% fuel dilution at as little as 500 miles. I was told not to worry about the rising level and to not even check the oil. Supposedly from the Ford Engineer, "tell the customer not to worry, his warranty goes out plenty far enough". WTF, I said I need to get it in writing that the truck is safe to drive no matter how high the fuel dilution or oil level gets. The dealer would not give me that. In fact, since it is an "open" line, they refused to give me any paperwork. I got pretty steamed, and made them print off the email from the Ford engineer stating I should drive the vehicle for at least 5000 miles before bringing it back in. They deleted the contact information, but copied the one line that stated the above.

To boot, they said they changed the oil, but I did not get the typical window cling sticker, or the oil reset, and when I got home to check the oil, it is about a 5/16in above the max mark, very thin, and darker than expected, very close to the level it was at when I dropped it off? I contacted the dealership and they guaranteed me it was changed and that it goes dark after just running the engine a little while. I told them they were talking to a guy that has been checking his oil daily for the past 7 months, thru 6 oil changes in that time, and that I knew what a fresh oil change looked like on the Rangers dipstick.

I contacted Ford Customer Service and explained that I will need something in writing that indicates that the truck will not become a fire hazard or a stalling hazard, as I am not willing to put myself or my family in danger. I am sure it probably is not much of an issue when the level rises to where it has been rising in the 500 - 1000 mile range, but 5000 miles seems ludicrous at this point? Not to mention, the oil level is well over the max level, just below the twist, as it sits.

Oh and they said they fixed the AC, it was only low on Freon, which made me wonder why I didn't have AC all summer, when the fix was that easy (I have been asking them to fix it for quite some time)? Well, the AC still does not work, had it on max all the way home, 20+ miles, and it was 59F outside, I don't think it even reached that temp? Not a good day, hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Does Ford still want to sell vehicles, it doesn't look that way because if this this is how your going to treat your customers you will end up not selling many in the future. I am getting pi__ed just reading your posting. If my situation is handled similarly I will not be very happy either.This is not a few dollars these vehicles are very costly and this is a big investment we're talking about and should be viewed that way by Ford motor company.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I took mine in this morning for its 1000 mile checkup after getting the HPFP replaced due to fuel dilution.

Oil level has not risen at all so it appears that mine is (hopefully) resolved.

@MotoWojo, I hope you get your situation resolved soon.

It sucks when you spend your hard earned $$$ for a vehicle and then get the runaround when a problem crops up.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Does Ford still want to sell vehicles, it doesn't look that way because if this this is how your going to treat your customers you will end up not selling many in the future. I am getting pi__ed just reading your posting. If my situation is handled similarly I will not be very happy either.This is not a few dollars these vehicles are very costly and this is a big investment we're talking about and should be viewed that way by Ford motor company.
Yes, this whole ordeal is really troubling. Because Wisconsin's lemon law requires everything to happen in the first year of ownership, it looks like I am SOL there. Per the dealership, the Field Service Engineer wants me to put 5000 miles on the truck before bringing it back in for service, even though the oil level is just at the start of the twist now. Ford Customer Care says they cannot do anything and the Field Service Engineer calls the shots. I am not allowed to speak with or contact the Field Service Engineer and no one will give me anything in writing that indicates that Ford is directing that I drive the truck with an oil level that is substantially above the max mark, even though the Owners Manual states:

"Note: Do not add oil further than the
maximum mark. Oil levels above the
maximum mark may cause engine damage."

The dealership told me that the Field Service Engineer wants to have the oil tested after it has had at least 5000 miles on it. I asked why, does he know the 2 oil sample tests the dealer has already taken are quite alarming at 12% and 13% fuel dilution and oil viscosity out of spec? The 12% was at 500 miles! The dealer claimed the Field Engineer has all that information and this is what he is instructing. I get no say in the matter?

I've tried to find out if there is another Ford department I can contact, but I am coming up empty. I did speak with a supervisor in the Ford Customer Care department, and while she was very nice and understanding, there wasn't anything they could do further. She did suggest I could go to another dealership, but it would have to be quite a drive to get out of the territory that the current Field Service Engineer is responsible for. Unreal, I am not going to drive a couple hundred miles to a dealer in Minnesota to start this all over again?

I am spent, I guess I will just continue to slowly ruin the engine, at Ford's direction, in my 40k+ truck and hope that it does not become a safety concern. This is tough, every new vehicle I have ever purchased in my life time has been a Ford, 3 new F150s, a new Mustang, a new Focus, and now this Ranger Lariat, which, ironically, was the most expensive.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Yes, this whole ordeal is really troubling. Because Wisconsin's lemon law requires everything to happen in the first year of ownership, it looks like I am SOL there. Per the dealership, the Field Service Engineer wants me to put 5000 miles on the truck before bringing it back in for service, even though the oil level is just at the start of the twist now. Ford Customer Care says they cannot do anything and the Field Service Engineer calls the shots. I am not allowed to speak with or contact the Field Service Engineer and no one will give me anything in writing that indicates that Ford is directing that I drive the truck with an oil level that is substantially above the max mark, even though the Owners Manual states:

The dealership told me that the Field Service Engineer wants to have the oil tested after it has had at least 5000 miles on it. I asked why, does he know the 2 oil sample tests the dealer has already taken are quite alarming at 12% and 13% fuel dilution and oil viscosity out of spec? The 12% was at 500 miles! The dealer claimed the Field Engineer has all that information and this is what he is instructing. I get no say in the matter?

I've tried to find out if there is another Ford department I can contact, but I am coming up empty. I did speak with a supervisor in the Ford Customer Care department, and while she was very nice and understanding, there wasn't anything they could do further. She did suggest I could go to another dealership, but it would have to be quite a drive to get out of the territory that the current Field Service Engineer is responsible for. Unreal, I am not going to drive a couple hundred miles to a dealer in Minnesota to start this all over again?

I am spent, I guess I will just continue to slowly ruin the engine, at Ford's direction, in my 40k+ truck and hope that it does not become a safety concern. This is tough, every new vehicle I have ever purchased in my life time has been a Ford, 3 new F150s, a new Mustang, a new Focus, and now this Ranger Lariat, which, ironically, was the most expensive.
I don't even know how to answer this, it's the most asinine thing I ever heard. Maybe almost time to contact your local TV station complaint help line! Very bad customer service. I hope something happens for the better for you. Please keep up posted!

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT

Ken Stern, who's office is handling many of the DPS6 transmission cases who opted out of the class action, is licensed to practice in Wisconsin. First call's free. Given how many opportunities you've given Ford to make it right, that sure sounds like your next step to me. You could also try the state AG's office, but they may well have no authority in a case like this.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I don't even know how to answer this, it's the most asinine thing I ever heard. Maybe almost time to contact your local TV station complaint help line! Very bad customer service. I hope something happens for the better for you. Please keep up posted!
I found it strange and amusing (but more in the not so much funny haha as queer sort of way, as a felllow DPS6 sufferer) that a couple of mystery Ford employees showed up at the house of a woman with a POS Fiesta, diagnosed her (current) problem in her driveway and went with her to the local dealership to get a warranty replacement TCM. But that only happened after the Detroit Free Press broke the story last summer about how Ford employees hid information about the transmission, which also featured her story. https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/08/08/ford-fiesta-transmission-dps-6/1945995001/

With stories like this and now with the 6.0l diesel, it sometimes seems that the integrity that @P. A. Schilke demonstrated as a lead engineer is as much exception as rule. With our 2.3l being the base engine on the upcoming huge deal Bronco, @MotoWojo's problem seems like an opportunity for Christopher Kwasniewicz' peer to have staff look closely into why some of these engines are experiencing this problem. Of course, it's only a handful of us, right?

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Of course, it's only a handful of us, right?
There in lies the problem for those of us with this issue. If it was more widespread, Ford would have to put some resources into figuring out what the problem is. I just wish I could speak to, or email, the person making the decision that I need to drive 5000 more miles with a crankcase overfull and rising. Heck, I would be satisfied with that person just giving me a printout directing me to do such, and what they feel is to be gained by doing so, and that it is safe to do. I have asked both the dealer and Ford Customer Care for that and they refuse to do so. I am stuck, I either do what they say or start changing my oil myself when it rises past the max mark, but an oil change every 2 weeks would get very expensive. Knowingly driving around a vehicle, you really like, with the oil level high and fuel diluted, is a very difficult thing to do.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Have my truck at the dealership now there is a service bulletin out on this problem now. Oil rose about a half inch on the stick in 340 miles, we'll see what their next step is going to be now!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Do you have the TSB number for the bulletin?

I can't find it.
Sponsored