First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
God I hate to be "that guy" but I have to ask...can this possibly be another mfg possibly setting a group of lawyers after Ford since they are doing so well?

Not that I'd EVER believe that would happen...cough cough...?
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I was under the assumption it was normally car buyers getting their first pickup then realizing they don't get 35-40 mpg like they did in their fiesta. I want to see the look on their face when they tow their first trailer and see like 12 mpg.
Probably never will because they bought the truck to replace the family sedan because one day they might need to haul one bag of mulch.

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
This is the most ridiculous lawsuit I've seen in a long, long, long, long time.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with holding a company accountable if its found they were being shady. If it comes out as unfounded then its over and everyone moves along.

Did some of you pick up on the fact that Ford's own employees initially brought this to light?

I'm still trying to figure out why I get 17mpg with a level and larger tires, but someone else on here has the same setup and gets 24mpg. We both use premium fuel and we both grandpa the acceleration.

If anything maybe it will be found that there were erroneous program tuning errors coming out of the factory leading to a sporadic result in mpg when the driver variables are somewhat identical.

At the end of the day do I dislike my truck because of MPG? Hell no. I'd still want to know why results between similar setups/drivers give odd discrepancies.

Then again, I have an appointment for the TSB's next week for both the cold start jerking problems / sluggish tranny and the low speed jerking / tranny problems. Maybe they fix that and in the process my MPG goes up? haha

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
Location is key to these different figures methinks. In the flat north Texas its easy to get 24mpg however in Williamson County south 21 is more like it due to the steep hills and stop signs. just my 5 cents imo

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Location is key to these different figures methinks. In the flat north Texas its easy to get 24mpg however in Williamson County south 21 is more like it due to the steep hills and stop signs. just my 5 cents imo
Honestly there is so many factors in mpg it basically not even worth comparing. Its just as bad as comparing auto insurance quotes.
Weight, wind, acceleration, tires, tire pressure, coasting amount, altitiude etc etc. That and I swear some people literally do not know how to drive. Ive ridden with some people and its constant Gas brake gas brake gas brake. Then I say "why are you doing that?" and they look at me like I am on quaaludes.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Honestly there is so many factors in mpg it basically not even worth comparing. Its just as bad as comparing auto insurance quotes.
Weight, wind, acceleration, tires, tire pressure, coasting amount, altitiude etc etc. That and I swear some people literally do not know how to drive. Ive ridden with some people and its constant Gas brake gas brake gas brake. Then I say "why are you doing that?" and they look at me like I am on quaaludes.
agreed.
even sometimes my own fuel mileage is all over the place and I have no idea why. Just the other day, I was driving north/up on the highway around 65mph, and was averaging a little over 25mpg. Then on the way back it dropped down to around 23mpg, even though I should have been going slightly down in elevation. I'm guessing likely there was a bit of headwind that I didn't notice or something.
Also my truck is lifted, 32" tires, a ton of weight of camping gear always in the back, with a softopper and roof rack around it which likely doesn't help with aerodynamics.

I've also had times when I struggle to average 20mpg on the highway, and I've also seen upwards of 27mpg.

I will say, the one thing that is consistent, if I push closer to 75-80mph on the highway or faster, i can count on losing at least a couple mpg over cruising 67-70mph.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Whenever I buy a vehicle I usually do a couple runs to see what its capable of on the hwy (27 for me). Then I drive however I see fit and gas it up when its empty, hardly ever looking at the mpg again.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
I bought a midsize truck for a bunch of reasons, however gas mileage was NOT one of them. I drive it and when I get to a 1/4 of a tank I fill it up with Shell 93 and drive it until it has a 1/4 tank left, fill it up and drive some more. I just don't care about gas mileage!!! Do electric car owners care about kilowatts? Let's hear from them, hell there may be a lawsuit brewing with them. :facepalm:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a midsize truck for a bunch of reasons, however gas mileage was NOT one of them. I drive it and when I get to a 1/4 of a tank I fill it up with Shell 93 and drive it until it has a 1/4 tank left, fill it up and drive some more. I just don't care about gas mileage!!! Do electric car owners care about kilowatts? Let's hear from them, hell there may be a lawsuit brewing with them. :facepalm:
Hi Tiny,

We have a neighbor with a Tesla. He was up in Colorado at his summer home. Storm hit and there was power loss for 3 days. Tesla was stranded as he could not take a electron basket to the local "filling station" and get a fresh supply of electrons..

I have no idea what my fuel economy is on my Ranger...never look and never check....When it needs fuel...I fill it up! No clue what fuel economy is...not on my radar screen. My neighbor just got his 1965 Crysler Newport running and filled it up for the 2nd time...his fuel mileage for this big old boat. 6.7 mpg!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
Hi Tiny,

We have a neighbor with a Tesla. He was up in Colorado at his summer home. Storm hit and there was power loss for 3 days. Tesla was stranded as he could not take a electron basket to the local "filling station" and get a fresh supply of electrons..

I have no idea what my fuel economy is on my Ranger...never look and never check....When it needs fuel...I fill it up! No clue what fuel economy is...not on my radar screen. My neighbor just got his 1965 Crysler Newport running and filled it up for the 2nd time...his fuel mileage for this big old boat. 6.7 mpg!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

The good old days, Sunoco 260 and cars that gulped gas and not sipped it. I had a new 1970 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 in it, was 19 with a lead foot and gas was, if I remember correctly, about 35-40cents a gallon. Yup, every penny I had went for gas and when I was broke car sat in the driveway until the next paycheck or friends kicked in for gas because I had the cool car for cruising.. Fond memories for sure.

Tiny

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
The lawsuit does seem frivolous but it's probably a good thing. makers have to get called out on lies now and then to keep them honest.
If it's frivolous, they're not getting called out on a lie; they're being harassed because the plaintiff (or at least their lawyers) has a financial incentive to do so. There's nothing good about that unless you're a lawyer. If it's not frivolous, it's good for exactly the reason you stated.
Well... It's frivolous to me, but maybe not frivolous to others. I never cared too deeply about mileage. But I can imagine someone who picked this truck over another truck based only on the MPG number on the sticker to be a little angry. So, ok, I'll call it not frivolous. But that doesn't mean the lawyers aren't greedy bastards.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I always want to know what my fuel economy is. It's not my only criteria when choosing a vehicle, or even necessarily the most important one, but it does rank highly. No, I don't expect a Ranger to get Prius fuel economy, but I do want to optimize what they Ranger can get.

At minimum, it gives me an idea of how far I can go on the gas I have in the tank, and gives me an idea of whether I CAN actually draw it down to 1/4 of a tank before I find a filling station, or whether I ought to top it up at 3/4 of a tank because I won't be seeing one for awhile.

In a truck, I think that's even more important because the fuel economy can vary so much depending on what you're doing with it. Knowing your fuel economy (or at least keeping track of how far you've driven when the fuel gauge hits the different marks - same difference) helps with planning.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I always want to know what my fuel economy is. It's not my only criteria when choosing a vehicle, or even necessarily the most important one, but it does rank highly. No, I don't expect a Ranger to get Prius fuel economy, but I do want to optimize what they Ranger can get.

At minimum, it gives me an idea of how far I can go on the gas I have in the tank, and gives me an idea of whether I CAN actually draw it down to 1/4 of a tank before I find a filling station, or whether I ought to top it up at 3/4 of a tank because I won't be seeing one for awhile.

In a truck, I think that's even more important because the fuel economy can vary so much depending on what you're doing with it. Knowing your fuel economy (or at least keeping track of how far you've driven when the fuel gauge hits the different marks - same difference) helps with planning.
I think a huge variable for the Rangers is HOW you drive it, which many people don't understand. If you drive it like you stole it, the MPG is going to be significantly worse than EPA estimates. If you hypermile it, it can be better than the MPG estimates. I like having the power on tap when I want/need it - I just have to resist the urge to tap that power too often to kill my MPG.

I read this quite a while back and it is very true - You can have ECO or you can have BOOST, but not both. And which you get depends on how heavy your right foot is.
Sponsored