RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
There is a guy local to me who has done the Dana FDU upgrade to the M210. He's taken a lot of measurements for me to try and do an OE M210 swap but nothing lines up. That tube you think can be replaced is 1" shorter than the M190 version, so it won't line up. I really wish the M190 would have a gear upgrade, but it looks like we are stuck with what we have. He's in the M210 upgrade almost $10,000, which I can't justify in any way.
Just wait for my confirmation. My mission is to maintain the M190.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes, I already know what the front and rear sizes are. Aside from the rear, which 98% positive should be compatible, there's no verification for the front. You know how sometimes a certain size ring and pinion won't fit certain housings even though they're the same "size"? We also already know that the Bronco mounting is different. It's not a direct swap. As I said, I'm waiting on word for an idea I have. People are looking to the M210 up front but that requires custom axles. I'm looking to stay with the M190 and retain all factory mounts, axles, etc. If my idea pans out it will be a pretty lower cost way to get a gear swap done up to 4.46 and stay with the M190. The rear has 2 ways to go. HD you have ELD you can do a traditional gear swap. If you have an open you'll have to swap the differential in order to change gears since those are welded.
So the housing won't be the problem here. It comes down to the diff carrier for what ring and pinion will and won't fit. Been that way for years with many manufacturers

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
A great deal about how the trans picks what gear to be in.. is based off of vehicle speed, throttle input, and engine load.

Changing gearsets literally won't make 2 shits a difference in what your complaining about.

Well.... possibly one shit of a difference....

Instead of lugging at cruising speed in *insert gear here*... it'll just lug at cruising speed in a higher gear.

Again.... the tranny chooses when to shift based on information it gathers from different parts of the vehicle. Simply switching gearsets isn't going to make the transmission forget its shift strategy lol.

Really...... just listen to @D Fresh

He's an angry little elf.... but he sure knows his trannys 🤭😋

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
A great deal about how the trans picks what gear to be in.. is based off of vehicle speed, throttle input, and engine load.

Changing gearsets literally won't make 2 shits a difference in what your complaining about.

Well.... possibly one shit of a difference....

Instead of lugging at cruising speed in *insert gear here*... it'll just lug at cruising speed in a higher gear.

Again.... the tranny chooses when to shift based on information it gathers from different parts of the vehicle. Simply switching gearsets isn't going to make the transmission forget its shift strategy lol.

Really...... just listen to @D Fresh

He's an angry little elf.... but he sure knows his trannys 🤭😋

This isn't all true. Gears will make a difference, but you have to tell the truck, through forscan or another method, that the gears in the diffs are different. Then the truck will accommodate those gears.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
This isn't all true. Gears will make a difference, but you have to tell the truck, through forscan or another method, that the gears in the diffs are different. Then the truck will accommodate those gears.

Without a programming change to the transmission shift strategy... it's forever and always going to want to be in the highest gear possible at a steady cruise for maximum fuel economy.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Without a programming change to the transmission shift strategy... it's forever and always going to want to be in the highest gear possible at a steady cruise for maximum fuel economy.
Let's say you decide to put bigger tires.on your Ranger(Wich most of us have). After programming the PCM/BCM with the new size the PCM will have a similar shift strategy to OEM but will be a little different thanks to the load change of the tires. Decide to change the Final Drive and you will do the same thing. If it's a shorter gear set(example a 4.11 vs a 3.73) will have a lighter load on the transmission thanks to more torque multiplication to the drive tires.

No matter what yes the PCM will want the transmission in a higher gear for cruising, but a change in RPM can help depending.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
have you ever geared an automatic? I have, and it makes a world of difference.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
have you ever geared an automatic? I have, and it makes a world of difference.

Yeah... on a automatic that has half (or less than half) the gears that these do.. with ratios spaced much further apart..

Swapping gears to bring your cruising rpm up or down is gravy on a mechanical 3..4..5 speed auto... not so much with an electric trans that decides how to shift based on an algorithm.

An additional 300rpm would solve most people's complaints about lugging at cruising speed, no?

Relatively easy to get by swapping gears, yes.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT........ when the truck wants to upshift every 300rpm........ as I said..... instead of lugging in 8th.... your now lugging in 9th 🤷‍♀️

Shift strategy change. Simple as that.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It's called mechanical advantage with gears. It's simple math. It mechanically over comes larger tires, etc. You stick with what you have and I'll get my gears swapped when I can verify what works.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I wasn't trying to pick a fight.

There are merits to both. And really, for somebody who wheeled a lot both would be ideal.

I just like low hanging fruit. For me, with 10 forward gears it seems much easier to start there. I work full time or more, have two kids, multiple hobbies with multiple projects in each, and a wife. I'm not trying to "advance the platform" personally. That said, I can appreciate those who do.

No doubt the mechanical advantage of gears has more benefits than simply not lugging the motor. But for the vast majority of us it's just not necessary. Also, I've seem enough broken Dana 30s to be hesitant to trust our front diffs when pushed much beyond factory.
Sponsored