Rear Differential Size?

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Does anyone know the size of the locking differential? I want to order the ford performance rear diff cover but they offer two versions and I cannot find an exact spec for the diff. Also, does anyone know if synthetic diff oil can be used with the e-locker?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
It looks like an 8.8 rear to me. The 7.5 diff cover always looked a little flatter on the top and bottom edge.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
From my understanding, they only come available with one differential, a Dana 44, front and rear. The only option is either a locking or open differential.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I have found the typical dana 44 is a 10 bolt cover. Where the ranger has 12 bolts like the f150 diff's do.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
That workshop manual shows Dana M220 at the top. It is close in size to the older 8.8

Isn't that the same one being used in the new Wrangler and Colorado?

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That workshop manual shows Dana M220 at the top. It is close in size to the older 8.8

Isn't that the same one being used in the new Wrangler and Colorado?
Yeah it looks to be the same as the rear on the JL Wrangler Rubicon. I might buy one of those since there are so many options just wonder if the clearances inside are the same. Would be nice to get a fluid capacity increase to aid in cooling.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Please explain to me how increasing fluid capacity in the rear differential aids in cooling.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a great series for anyone that wants to add a rear diff cover...very interesting to see what actually happens inside. It's about 30 min, but he really gets into the reality of rear diff covers. Bigger and more fluid isn't always better. 3 part series by Gale Banks....he knows a thing or 2.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
Please explain to me how increasing fluid capacity in the rear differential aids in cooling.
Fairly simple. The extra fluid takes more energy to heat to the same temp. There is also more fluid to absorb and move heat away from the gears and bearings to the housing.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Fairly simple. The extra fluid takes more energy to heat to the same temp. There is also more fluid to absorb and move heat away from the gears and bearings to the housing.
I suggest you watch the videos posted above......

Last edited:

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I suggest you watch the videos posted above......
Which answered a different and slightly more complex question.

There is method to add capacity to the stock housing and stock cover without altering the fill level.

Last edited:

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Coming from the diesel world I have to take Gale Banks with a grain of salt (typically way overpriced for what you get). BTW, Banks just came out with a diff cover after posting those videos.

May hot shot owners run Mag-Hytec covers on Dana's and AAM axles for hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues.

Last edited:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Coming from the diesel world I have to take Gale Banks with a grain of salt (typically way overpriced for what you get). BTW, Banks just came out with a diff cover after posting those videos.

May hot shot owners run Mag-Hytec covers on Dana's and AAM axles for hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues.
Yes, I saw that but if you look at Banks cover design it's not adding much (if any) capacity and it's not changing the fill level, and, most importantly, it has the same internal curve for the ring gear to maximize oil flow.

Regardless, I'm not purchasing his cover either.

---

Look, 2 cups of water takes longer to boil than 1 cup but it still boils. Adding capacity just delays the inevitable max temp of the oil but once it's heated it is the same situation as with lower capacity - IOW, changing the capacity does not change the heat produced by the differential - it may take a bit longer to reach it's "operating temp" but it's still going to get to the same temp even with more oil. Changing the fill level, or using the covers shown in the video, is going to work against heat transfer out of the differential because more aeration and viscous loses occur (as seen in the videos), hence more heat and poorer heat transfer because the air entrapped in the oil makes it a poorer conductor of heat. The fancy aftermarket cover manufacturers don't care - they just want to sell stuff regardless of whether or not it helps or hinders oil temp. IMO, they're fine as bling but no way in hell I buy "better cooling" as a result.
Sponsored

Last edited: