Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So Ford Performance is coming out with an install kit... does this mean we are getting new gearing for the Ranger?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4210-R
Hi Marc,

Stuff should be orderable thru the normal parts department. What is special about FP parts??? Hopefully there is a new ring and pinion gear or two available in the future.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Abjectwoe

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Hi Marc,

Stuff should be orderable thru the normal parts department. What is special about FP parts??? Hopefully there is a new ring and pinion gear or two available in the future.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I believe that FP offering this kit means that they have something in the pipline in regards to some gearing. Would make sense for them to offer it all together.

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RACE RED RANGER XLT, 2021 TESLA MODEL Y
Maybe the front? But the rear is the same as the new jl Jeep’s. Two wheel guys are good to go but the 4x4 nothing for the front Yet.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Someone on here said that the ring gear is welded to the carrier?
Hi Bret,

I doubt this is true as there are ring bolts in the "kit". Danger of these forums is one person can toss something out there and things go viral.... There are a few here that removed the rear dif cover and replaced with a FP dif cover. Anyone see bolts of the ring carrier? So I will be curious to see how they handle both front and rear diff of the 4x4. Gotta be $$$$.... If you have to replace the carrier due to welding of the ring gear....Yikes! Granted that all Rangers have the same 3.73 ratio. A pox on Dana for this if is true.... Sheesh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To my understanding if you do not have a locker in the rear you do not have ring gear bolts because Ford was so kind to weld the ring gear to the differential. If you have a locker from the factory then you should have ring gear bolts. What I am suspecting from this is they are getting ready to release a rear Locker for those who do not have a locker installed from the factory. It's possible they're going to be partnering with ARB from the looks of it. That's just my guess here

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
To my understanding if you do not have a locker in the rear you do not have ring gear bolts because Ford was so kind to weld the ring gear to the differential. If you have a locker from the factory then you should have ring gear bolts. What I am suspecting from this is they are getting ready to release a rear Locker for those who do not have a locker installed from the factory. It's possible they're going to be partnering with ARB from the looks of it. That's just my guess here
Hi Chris,

I hope you are wrong on non lockers. What a stupid idea.... Who on earth thought this was a prudent cost reduction if it is true. I will sit on the sidelines on this. Wonder how we can verify if the ring gear is indeed welded to the diff carrier on non lockers. Will have to see if I can get this darn shop manual cd to work. Maybe this will tell. If true...this totally sucks!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Chris,

I hope you are wrong on non lockers. What a stupid idea.... Who on earth thought this was a prudent cost reduction if it is true. I will sit on the sidelines on this. Wonder how we can verify if the ring gear is indeed welded to the diff carrier on non lockers. Will have to see if I can get this darn shop manual cd to work. Maybe this will tell. If true...this totally sucks!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Unfortunately itnis true for non lockers. When you go to stage 3 they mention that it is that way when getting a rear locker by ARB. Is it a stupid thing Ford did? Absolutely!!

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RACE RED RANGER XLT, 2021 TESLA MODEL Y
It’s not welded. Any ratio for the Jeep jl 2018 and newer will bolt to our differential carrier.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s not welded. Any ratio for the Jeep jl 2018 and newer will bolt to our differential carrier.
Do you have a locker in your truck? As stated before the trucks without a locker have a welded ring on the diff. While working at Ford I confirmed it while looking in the workshop manual and it even showed the trucks with a locker did bot have it welded. This isnt a thing by Dana but a thing by Ford because as the saying goes Ford has better ideas than anyone else.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Someone will come out with a separate carrier and ring and pinion. There just has to be demand. Or just do a axle swap if you really want different gears. Yes it would be expensive, but possible.

Besides, when the Broncos come out there will be a ton of people swap out axles for Dana 60's, and then you could swap that in and do your gears. You can't tell me Ford would be stupid enough to do the same on the Broncos

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Someone will come out with a separate carrier and ring and pinion. There just has to be demand. Or just do a axle swap if you really want different gears. Yes it would be expensive, but possible.

Besides, when the Broncos come out there will be a ton of people swap out axles for Dana 60's, and then you could swap that in and do your gears. You can't tell me Ford would be stupid enough to do the same on the Broncos
Well if you don't have a locker in your truck you can get one by ARB and you can get a ring and pinion as well. I want to say there is a rebuild kit with all bearings and shims as well available through Stage 3 at this time. So without doing an entire axle swap you can do that.

OP
OP
Abjectwoe

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
What gear ratios are available ?
Regards
On jeeps (JLs to be specific) with the same M220 rear, a lot go 4.56/4.88 with 33s-35s. 4.1 is an option for those guys too.

While we use the same axle, I don't think it's quite that easy to the JLs case as a facsimile.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc