RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
That's perfectly fine. I don't offroad a ton. I'm not worried about the strength. So, gears are the option I'm looking for. I've got multiple hobbies, cars, etc as well but I always like to get things done no one else has. I've installed gears on my Mustang and tons of former customers. Aside from parts it's my time and labor.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
They've been slow in verifying info for me but I've ordered the rear gears so far.

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
Hey guys, little update here. Gearing is now possible as noted but requires an m210 upgrade. Specs on 4.56's look like they clear the m190 but the ring gear just contacts the housing. A few trucks have been done using the Bronco Sasquatch m210 but there's a bunch of custom work to make it fit, axles are different length, etc. I'm hoping to go under the knife in November and will report back.

For the folks arguing about the effectiveness of changing gears. Maybe break down what it is you're trying to articulate into a more specific context.
1.) axle gear ratio
2.) transmission gear ratio
3.) software and its behavior in choosing a transmission gear

Maybe think about it this way. A lower axle gear acts as a torque multiplier and results in more torque per transmission gear. This in no way influences the software controlling gear selection to maintain a lower transmission gear selection. So, even with 4.56's, if you're running stock software or even some aftermarket software and are in "D", you're still going to wind up in 10th pulling 1000 RPM and lugging in some situations. The magic will be either leaving it in "S" or running aftermarket tuning that holds your transmission gear longer before upshifting.

So yeah, for best results, re-gear and fix the software or drive in "S" and shift manually as needed. Separate transmission gear selection behavior from static axle gear ratios and this is easier to envision. God I hate automatic transmissions. Maybe that's why I love driving my manual '02 Taco as much as my over the top APG built Ranger.

Personally, I can't wait to pair 4.56's with my 35" tires. And when I do, you'll find me in Sport mode.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Not looking for M210. As stated in the beginning I'm going M190 gear swap. Waiting for final verification on what I'm working on.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I'm tuned with Torrie. So, in order for me to be at those rpms I would have to manually shift because it does what an automatic transmission does, it upshifts. This post is trying to verify if a gear swap with these part numbers is possible. A gear swap may not be what you want to do but others might. Again, not asking for alternate solutions. And writing multiple paragraphs? I'm responding to this offering alternate solutions.
I’m not laughing at you but this thread is entertaining. It’s like asking what coffee everyone drinks and you get responses how you should be drinking tea. Best of luck getting your question answered.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I’m not laughing at you but this thread is entertaining. It’s like asking what coffee everyone drinks and you get responses how you should be drinking tea. Best of luck getting your question answered.
You completely got it. Lol

Tricky Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
It does look highly likely the Bronco M190/M220 gears should be a direct swap but I hope you find the confirmation you need. I'm thinking about building a Ranger M220 to put in a 66 Bronco. The width is a good match for a 70s F150 D44. It looks like for about 2k all in I can buy a locked Ranger axle and gear to 5.13, hard to beat that value and the disc brakes and 6 lug is a perk.

I'm seeing a lot of different sites listing the M-4209-470, M-4209-446, etc, gearsets as compatible with both Bronco and Ranger.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It does look highly likely the Bronco M190/M220 gears should be a direct swap but I hope you find the confirmation you need. I'm thinking about building a Ranger M220 to put in a 66 Bronco. The width is a good match for a 70s F150 D44. It looks like for about 2k all in I can buy a locked Ranger axle and gear to 5.13, hard to beat that value and the disc brakes and 6 lug is a perk.

I'm seeing a lot of different sites listing the M-4209-470, M-4209-446, etc, gearsets as compatible with both Bronco and Ranger.
The rears are the easy part. It's getting front fitment confirmation that's been the main part.

Tricky Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
The rears are the easy part. It's getting front fitment confirmation that's been the main part.
I see multiple sites that say the install kit fits both M190s so my gut says you're good with gears too.

You're definitely trying to do this the right way so I'd like to see you succeed. A tune may be a way to get by but gears + tune is even better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I see multiple sites that say the install kit fits both M190s so my gut says you're good with gears too.

You're definitely trying to do this the right way so I'd like to see you succeed. A tune may be a way to get by but gears + tune is even better.
That doesn't completely verify they will fit the housing. On real dana 44's there can be a break in a certain gear and higher will fit or a certain gear and lower will fit. I'm waiting on confirmation before I spend the money on the front.

20XLRangerFraptor

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Occupation
Jet Mechanic
I'm tuned with Torrie. So, in order for me to be at those rpms I would have to manually shift because it does what an automatic transmission does, it upshifts. This post is trying to verify if a gear swap with these part numbers is possible. A gear swap may not be what you want to do but others might. Again, not asking for alternate solutions. And writing multiple paragraphs? I'm responding to this offering alternate solutions.
You don't have to manually shift to keep it out of 9 or 10 gear. You can hit the +/- to lock out 9 and 10 if you're only going like 60mph.

But on your post, I'm not 100% on it but I'd be willing to put money on it. The bronco and ranger diffs as far as internals are going to be the same. As far as the M190 front and M220 rear. Obviously, some bronco models have the M210 front option(which will bolt into the ranger). I can't see ford/spicer changing the internals between the bronco/ranger for the same axles. I will be changing gears out in mine since I've went to 35s. If I can find the M210 I'm just going to make that swap but if not, I will order the gear sets labeled for the Bronco M190 when I do regear.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Hope you figure it out. I'm probably gonna order a custom 9" with either a truetrac or a full spool. Probably going 5.13's. I need the beef. 🍖

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
You don't have to manually shift to keep it out of 9 or 10 gear. You can hit the +/- to lock out 9 and 10 if you're only going like 60mph.

But on your post, I'm not 100% on it but I'd be willing to put money on it. The bronco and ranger diffs as far as internals are going to be the same. As far as the M190 front and M220 rear. Obviously, some bronco models have the M210 front option(which will bolt into the ranger). I can't see ford/spicer changing the internals between the bronco/ranger for the same axles. I will be changing gears out in mine since I've went to 35s. If I can find the M210 I'm just going to make that swap but if not, I will order the gear sets labeled for the Bronco M190 when I do regear.
It's auto. I don't want to push buttons to manually shift. The defeats the point of having an automatic. Again, gear swap is the point of the thread.
Sponsored