Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
BS, the air dam doesn't make 1 MPG increase!
Hi David,

I agree it is like picking fly Sh#t out of the pepper, but how much air flow do you loose going across the Radiator, Intercooler, A/C evaporator? May not be important in VA, but here in SW Arizona it could be critical... I have no CFD data, just wondering.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I agree it is like picking fly Sh#t out of the pepper, but how much air flow do you loose going across the Radiator, Intercooler, A/C evaporator? May not be important in VA, but here in SW Arizona it could be critical... I have no CFD data, just wondering.
I'd guess not enough to matter since it doesn't affect the rating for the fx4 with no air dam. (As opposed to the gm trucks, where gm warns that taking it off can mess up air flow and down rates the models which come without one.) Maybe the non-decorative vents in the ranger are important?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
On my TC they used a belly cover in lieu of a chin spoiler with the addition of little wing chin spoilers in front of the tires.
It is supposed to be as effective and necessary as a chin spoiler.
My 2WD Ranger has a full chin spoiler but has no cover under the engine.
Could it be that the bash plate serves that same purpose and should be added if the chin spoiler were to be removed, in order to improve air flow as well as protect the underside?

Point of interest...
My STX has the tow hooks but they do not have the attachment points for the bash plate.
It does appear to be a part which could be added though.

Last edited:

bltfrdtgh

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Ford Service Manager
I really like the look of the FX4 package, so since Ford doesn't offer a FX2 package on 4x2 Rangers, I think I’m going to remove the front air dam and install a factory skid plate.

From what I can tell, it looks like the front air dam is held on by a few bolts, and the skid plate looks easy to install yourself as well.

Who else doesn’t really care about fuel efficiency as much as improved ground clearance and looks?

DSC_3945.JPG
DSC_3948.JPG
I think they offer the FX2 option now. I just noticed a new fleet ranger that got brought in today. I've been wanting to take the air dam off of my ranger and was checking it out. Now that I saw it in person I see how easy it is to replace the skid plate! My STX has a skid plate with a big gap with the air dam removed, I still really like the look of it without the air dam just want to cover the gap.

Before:
IMG_1968.jpeg

After:
IMG_1969.jpeg

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I think they offer the FX2 option now. I just noticed a new fleet ranger that got brought in today. I've been wanting to take the air dam off of my ranger and was checking it out. Now that I saw it in person I see how easy it is to replace the skid plate! My STX has a skid plate with a big gap with the air dam removed, I still really like the look of it without the air dam just want to cover the gap.

Before:
IMG_1968.jpeg

After:
IMG_1969.jpeg

Can I see a more under the truck view of this gap? I also took my air dam off and am looking into a skid plate.

bltfrdtgh

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Ford Service Manager
Can I see a more under the truck view of this gap? I also took my air dam off and am looking into a skid plate.
4B2287E3-E774-48D0-BA2E-1E6C7BEBD6C5.jpeg

It’s really not that bad I just don’t like how the underbody skid plate has that drop down. I did notice a huge difference on the highway though. It’s annoying as shit at high speeds. I saw a black out package FX4 XLT package at another dealer. I’m gonna pull the part # for that skid plate since it’s blacked out.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

It will be interesting to see if any of you that pulled off your air dam start experiencing overheating in the high ambient areas of the Country. I hope you do not have any problems, but just in case, do not throw the air dam away. You may need to put it back on the vehicle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Before:
IMG_1968.jpeg

After:
IMG_1969.jpeg
My XLT has the same gap but it looks like you can easily mod the air dam to fill the gap and make it look a lot like the full length skid plate. I'm never putting the air dam back on, so I'll give it a shot. If it works out well, I'll post pics. If it doesn't work out, you never saw me here!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Before:
IMG_1968.jpeg

After:
IMG_1969.jpeg
My XLT has the same gap but it looks like you can easily mod the air dam to fill the gap and make it look a lot like the full length skid plate. I'm never putting the air dam back on, so I'll give it a shot. If it works out well, I'll post pics. If it doesn't work out, you never saw me here!
Did a quick mod of the old air dam today and closed that gap nicely. Will post a step by step with pics soon.

IMG_1403.JPG

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Chalupajones

First Name
John-Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Facility Technician
You still have those? I’d be interested in taking them off your hands.

I have those plastic pieces by each wheel, with brackets and bolts, if you’re interested. I removed them shortly after I got the truck.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Hi, @bltfrdtgh what did you mean by the following statement you made when you were talking about removing the front air dam?

.... I did notice a huge difference on the highway though. It’s annoying as shit at high speeds. ....

I like the look of what DukeCanBuildit has done by tucking(?) the air dam into the skid plate lip.

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
I removed my air dam almost a year ago and i've had no drop in fuel efficiency and the truck does not drive any differently that I can tell. Also, I'm in Florida and have gone through a full scorching summer without the air dam and no issues at all with cooling or performance. I also went on a vacation back in October with my family in the truck and the bed packed with our stuff. Over 600 mile trip each way and again no issues and no reduction in gas mileage that I can tell. Go ahead and pull those ugly air dams off!
Sponsored