Non FX4 Air Dam on FX4

bostonburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4 hot pepper red metallic
Has anyone tried adding the full factory air dam on an FX4? I was thinking of seeing if I could throw the factory air dam from a non-FX4 on my FX4 to try to pickup a few mpg while commuting since I'm only going offroad a few times a year I could remove it as needed.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Would probably work...just don't modify OEM wheels/tires/suspension...thase are MPG killers...

Onemig

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
I’ve done it on my Tremor.

There are existing mounts/bolt holes inside the front bumper that the non FX4 air dam can mount on to.
I took the FX4/Tremor tire spats out, and reused the bolts from it to mount the non FX4 air dam. The Center section of the inside of the bumper/air dam has three holes on it where you can bolt it up to the bumper. I decided not to bolt it up since the used air dam I bought did not come with the threaded clips where the bolt screws in, so I just used some plastic push clips to secure the middle portion of the dam to the bumper.

Next is you’ll have to notch the bolt holes of your FX4 skid plate. I notched it length wise by about half an inch towards the front of the plate, and followed the width of the hole so that it would not look hacked up. You need to notch it because the air dam rests agains the plate. Once the dam is on, without notching the skid plate, you won’t be able to put it back on.

OP
OP
bostonburner

bostonburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve done it on my Tremor.

There are existing mounts/bolt holes inside the front bumper that the non FX4 air dam can mount on to.
I took the FX4/Tremor tire spats out, and reused the bolts from it to mount the non FX4 air dam. The Center section of the inside of the bumper/air dam has three holes on it where you can bolt it up to the bumper. I decided not to bolt it up since the used air dam I bought did not come with the threaded clips where the bolt screws in, so I just used some plastic push clips to secure the middle portion of the dam to the bumper.

Next is you’ll have to notch the bolt holes of your FX4 skid plate. I notched it length wise by about half an inch towards the front of the plate, and followed the width of the hole so that it would not look hacked up. You need to notch it because the air dam rests agains the plate. Once the dam is on, without notching the skid plate, you won’t be able to put it back on.
Thats enough for me! I'm going to locate an air dam and go for it!

Philanderer, I pm'ed you but I'm guessing shipping will cost me more than the price of a new air dam or finding one from someone in my area. Either way thank you for the offer!

OP
OP
bostonburner

bostonburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update, I modified and installed the air dam that Philanderer sent me. I will follow up with pictured but it only took minor modifications. I had to trim the sides as the fx4 air dams that are in front of the tires use different mounting brackets but the full size air dam will extend out to the fx4 mini air dams. The only other thing is the fx4 skid plate touches the mounting lip of the air dam and takes a good amount of force to get back into position.

Overall, this took me about an hour and then the next day I took a 680 mile road trip with an average speed of 85mph, this mod upped my gas milage from 22.5 to 24.7 mpg on shell v power 93 with the ford performance tune, the fox 2.0 level kit and 265/70r17 ko2's

OP
OP
bostonburner

bostonburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait, you’re putting an air dam on your truck? Interesting. 😂
Yeah I know, it will only take me about 20 minutes to remove it for offroading but for the 95% of its life spent commuting make it worth it to pick up any mpg I can.
Sponsored