Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem. It's recognizes the USB Drive asks if I want to update, etc then there is a brief notice (1-2 seconds) that it's 'Installing System Update' then that disappears and nothing apparently happens. I see no indications that anything is happening (tho I have not waited one hour to find out). No restarts in 25-30 minutes before I aborted the "loading".

Is there some indication that it's actually loading software? Or are we mushrooms in the dark?

As far as I can tell my USB Flash file structure conforms to the requirements and my license file appears to be fine. I used this flash drive to load 118 (my truck came with 117) so I can rule that out.

I received that email after downloading the Update. Checked to name of the License File they reference and I had actually gotten the CORRECT License file from the Download the first time! My system actually recognizes the date when I insert the Thumb Drive, I get all the Update Prompts and when it gets to "Installing System Update" it stops doing anything! So, no errors, no rejection of the Update file, just never completes updating. No restarts, no nothing!
Sponsored

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Please remind me as to how to access the Diagnostic Menu and what I'm looking for?
It sounds familiar but I haven't found the Diagnostic Menu.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Please remind me as to how to access the Diagnostic Menu and what I'm looking for?
It sounds familiar but I haven't found the Diagnostic Menu.
Hold down the seek forward buttons on the wheel and the IP for 10 seconds. Make sure the radio is on prior. You’ll end the speaker walk around and you’ll be in the diag menu. Select the APIM item then the IVSU Versions.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
So it took me almost 4 hours to download - then warned by the instructions that it could take an hour to install and having a 30 min trip, I started mine and let it run for 30 min before my trip only to come out and find that the truck had shut itself off. When I started it the screen said installation failed and had some error code, but I took off and then it started to download again and within about 25 minutes it successfully installed...now if I only knew what was added and updated :) My question would be is the file I downloaded somehow tied to my VIN and Sync code??? If not I could give the thumb drive to my buddy who has a new F-150??

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it took me almost 4 hours to download - then warned by the instructions that it could take an hour to install and having a 30 min trip, I started mine and let it run for 30 min before my trip only to come out and find that the truck had shut itself off. When I started it the screen said installation failed and had some error code, but I took off and then it started to download again and within about 25 minutes it successfully installed...now if I only knew what was added and updated :) My question would be is the file I downloaded somehow tied to my VIN and Sync code??? If not I could give the thumb drive to my buddy who has a new F-150??
Check your packages to make sure it actually did finish and not only the first part like some of the others have run into. No, you can’t share the drive. It’s linked to your APIM.

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hold down the seek forward buttons on the wheel and the IP for 10 seconds. Make sure the radio is on prior. You’ll end the speaker walk around and you’ll be in the diag menu. Select the APIM item then the IVSU Versions.
I seem to be missing the hash image of the upper file. Is that the problem?

15957197637673493215505567598402.jpg

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I seem to be missing the hash image of the upper file. Is that the problem?

15957197637673493215505567598402.jpg
No that’s no problem. Looks like you have everything installed. If the nav voice stuff still isn’t working, run that master reset. That *should* clear it up.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem. It's recognizes the USB Drive asks if I want to update, etc then there is a brief notice (1-2 seconds) that it's 'Installing System Update' then that disappears and nothing apparently happens. I see no indications that anything is happening (tho I have not waited one hour to find out). No restarts in 25-30 minutes before I aborted the "loading".

Is there some indication that it's actually loading software? Or are we mushrooms in the dark?

As far as I can tell my USB Flash file structure conforms to the requirements and my license file appears to be fine. I used this flash drive to load 118 (my truck came with 117) so I can rule that out.
I noticed quite by accident that my USB had a little light on it, and while the message did disappear, but only because the NAV was running and had to do a recalc, I did notice that the little light on the USB was going crazy most of the time.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Check your packages to make sure it actually did finish and not only the first part like some of the others have run into. No, you can’t share the drive. It’s linked to your APIM.
Thought so. Thanks. Not sure about package check - don''t use voice and if I'm using nav it's probably Waze so not sure if it all finished other than it said it had :)

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I noticed quite by accident that my USB had a little light on it, and while the message did disappear, but only because the NAV was running and had to do a recalc, I did notice that the little light on the USB was going crazy most of the time.
Thanks for the reply. My USB drive has no LED but the Sync system wasn't acting slow like it does when it is updating SW. I'm pretty sure it was not loading SW.

I remade the USB drive - quick format (again) then loaded the files onto the USB drive using drag and drop. The first time thru I used copy and paste commands (after a quick format). I'm not sure what made the difference here but the first time trying to load the "Updating system software" came and went but this second time through it stayed on. That said, I have no voice navigation files so I tried this:

Will this work? I don't really need the Mexican Spanish or Canadian French.

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = 4U5T-14G422-CAF
Open1 = SyncMyRide\4U5T-14G422-CAF.tar.gz
Options = Autoinstall
The odd thing here is the system said it was successfully updated but there is still no CAF file installed according to the diagnostic menu.

Bottom line is this is becoming a bad joke. Almost 2 hours of engine run time and I still have an incomplete install to show for it.

I'm giving the full install one last shot.....

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the reply. My USB drive has no LED but the Sync system wasn't acting slow like it does when it is updating SW. I'm pretty sure it was not loading SW.

I remade the USB drive - quick format (again) then loaded the files onto the USB drive using drag and drop. The first time thru I used copy and paste commands (after a quick format). I'm not sure what made the difference here but the first time trying to load the "Updating system software" came and went but this second time through it stayed on. That said, I have no voice navigation files so I tried this:

The odd thing here is the system said it was successfully updated but there is still no CAF file installed according to the diagnostic menu.

Bottom line is this is becoming a bad joke. Almost 2 hours of engine run time and I still have an incomplete install to show for it.

I'm giving the full install one last shot.....
FAILED - AGAIN
Nothing I've tried has been successful in getting the CAF file loaded.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought so. Thanks. Not sure about package check - don''t use voice and if I'm using nav it's probably Waze so not sure if it all finished other than it said it had :)
In that case, if it was missing it shouldn't impact you. :)

FAILED - AGAIN
Nothing I've tried has been successful in getting the CAF file loaded.
How long did it run while installing the one file? Should take ~10 minutes.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In that case, if it was missing it shouldn't impact you. :)

How long did it run while installing the one file? Should take ~10 minutes.
I'd guess it took closer to 15 minutes to complete.
Nothing seemed abnormal and the message indicated the software loaded okay before it rebooted itself. I do not understand why that file did not load....

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd guess it took closer to 15 minutes to complete.
Nothing seemed abnormal and the message indicated the software loaded okay before it rebooted itself. I do not understand why that file did not load....
OK, that sounds like it should have installed correctly then. Doesn't show in the IVSU Versions and nav voice is still down? Have you gone the master reset route post-installing the CAF? I've not run across a case of the file not showing post install before.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OK, that sounds like it should have installed correctly then. Doesn't show in the IVSU Versions and nav voice is still down? Have you gone the master reset route post-installing the CAF? I've not run across a case of the file not showing post install before.
Yes, I tried the master reset and it's still not showing up in the IVSU menu.

I wonder if I should try reverting back to 118 (I have those files saved if that is even possible). Or will the voice commands get loaded when I update to 3.4?
Sponsored