Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

Discussion in 'Electronics, SYNC, Audio, Nav, Phone, FORScan' started by j0shm1lls, Nov 20, 2019.

1. j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    #1 Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Hey Guys,

While looking at the 'about sync' page in my Ranger, I noticed I was on map version 'NA117' and I know a 'NA118' is available. A quick search for 'sync map update' brought me to an official Ford Navigation Map update page here https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home. I put in my Ranger's VIN and Sync ESN and voila - a free map update is available!

You can find your Sync ESN at the bottom of the 'About Sync' page:
    esn-location.png

Place your order for the 'free download' and grab a 32gb (USB 3.0 fast read/write preferably) thumb drive and format it exFAT. Follow the instructions to create your own update thumb drive and about an hour later you'll be on NA 1 18! Install speed depends on the speeds of the thumb drive so if you have a slow one be prepared to take a drive while this is installing.

The root of your thumb drive should look like this:
    qTPcV7r.png

And the SyncMyRide folder should look like this:
    8oeNemp.png

Update warning 1:
    zVEve91.jpg

Update warning 2:
    4Hj4Ni6.jpg

Here's my before:
    uQpIDj7.jpg

And after:
    S3zu6Hd.jpg

Good luck and happy updating!

EDIT: This will also work for any other 2018 and newer Fords that are still on '17 maps. Doing the wife's '18 Edge next!

2. FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
    Thanks, I’ll do this when I get some free time!

j0shm1lls likes this.
  3. Murphie

Murphie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2020 Hyundai Sonata
    Retired Financial Auditor
    Fantastic. I've wondered how map updates would be provided since there's not the typical SD card slot. One question... one of your screen prints notes it could take up to an hour. How long did your update take?

4. VAMike

VAMike Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
    why do these things even have wifi update capability, since you seem to have to do everything via usb anyway? and why make us jump through these stupid hoops with magic numbers instead of just linking it to the information on owner.ford.com? I swear, automakers really suck at IT.

5. OP
    OP
    j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
    Garage Profiles:
    Past a certain date cutoff, map updates turn into a paid update. For my '16 Focus RS they're asking $104 for the download... lol no thanks. Regarding the time it took to update, it was well over an hour. I turned off the "auto engine off" in settings so it wouldn't shut down while idling in my driveway and let it sit there for what was maybe an hour n a half. Also, the install is broken up into 3 portions, so you'll see one update complete and start another one right away. Don't pull the USB out or shut off the truck until either you see the "remove USB and restart your truck" screen, OR the little download icon in the upper right corner that indicates an update has completed.

6. RANGER PRIDE

RANGER PRIDE Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
    for shitzngiggles, i went out to my truck this morning to check my status. I'm NA117

Then i thought, lets see if this wifi hookup has gotten better. I have had a new home modem since so why not reconnect and see.

well fawkinchickennuggets, wouldn't you know it. froze my screen more solid than an oak tree in january.

Dicked around for about half an hour trying to do a soft reset. then finally, I must have aligned all the planets and hit those two buttons at the same time.
    Stupid wifi.
    Ford, can you be nice for xmas and fix the problems please.

I'm now too afraid to download and update something.

7. Murphie

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Well, going to the site doesn't work for me. I entered my VIN and ESN, told me the ESN was invalid. OK, there's an ambiguous character, could be zero or an O. Tried them both, and both are invalid. So I tried calling the 800 number that's posted on the site, and I get a sales pitch for either a medical alert system or roadside assistance, then immediately hangs up. So I dialed again, same thing. Tried one more time, and it tells me that the number is invalid for my calling area. Thanks FORD! I'll continue to use maps via CarPlay. :(

8. Murphie

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Except for the phone number issue, that was my fault. I was entering the wrong ESN - entered the onboard modem number. But my issue about the phone number is valid.

9. VAMike

VAMike Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
    ah, I see now--the business model is to make a few bucks by designing a download process so obnoxious that people are willing to pay $40 to avoid it

10. BHunted

BHunted Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
    Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    Just checked mine. Already latest but when I checked, kept saying the esn was invalid even though it was correct. Tried other to be sure and it was invalid. So no idea with that.
    Sad part is I had this prob with my Fusion and went through a couple map updates. Its BS because roads that were there for years where never corrected nor were new ones that were there for years were never added. While they may update them somewhat, for the individual it would be like poke and hope. I mentioned in another thread that the only company I really seen did updates that actually showed was Garmin... Ford should take lessons from real people involved in cartology....... they were $70 a pop back then....

11. svache

svache Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
    Garage Profiles:
    Did you make sure you used the Sync ESN and not the modem ESN? The Sync one only shows when you scroll down on the "about Sync" page.

sjasheRanger likes this.
  12. MT19RANGER

MT19RANGER Well-Known Member

First Name:
    JERRY
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat
    Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
    Garage Profiles:
    Ford SYNC 3 Map Update Support Line at 800-900-8458 (ALOM)

13. SandBaja

SandBaja Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
    Almost retired
    Thanks for notification Josh. Headed to Mx this Friday and curious to see how the maps work south of the border.

This is a very large file. 10.9GB zipped. By comparison a W10 packed image is 3-5 GB's. Unless you have a high speed connection AND are comfortable with unzipping, formatting, copying and pasting or are easily frustrated, don't start this.

This is not a file for OTA updates...maybe with 5G.

If you really want the update then $40 is not unreasonable for a USB stick and files to be sent to you. As best I can tell it is specific to your vehicle due to the ESN and license agreement. There are fine print notices in the TWO guidance documents.

I'm currently at the 1hr mark and it is still installing.

If I weren't travelling later this week I would wait to start the process until I had a 2 hour drive somewhere. As it is I have the truck running, half out of the garage.

j0shm1lls likes this.
  14. Murphie

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    The phone number that was listed on the site was 800.392.3653.

15. BHunted

BHunted Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
    Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    Yep, tried both just in case. Maybe cause it was up to date? dunno.