First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
if u could have a stick shifter u wouldnā€˜t have the problem. Iā€˜m pretty shure if the engine turns less rpm u have no issues. AFAIK with my limited knowledge...
Lugging A Motor

I had a friend who always drove automatics. He bought a brand new '85 4 banger stick shift Ranger. Every time I road with him I noticed he shifted it to soon, lugging the motor.

In the end he needed a new motor after driving it that way for years.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
It appears they have released the new tune... because now it states
Wouldn't their dyno results make more sense to compare the non-tune stock with 93 octane vs tune using 93? I get most non-tune guys will only use 87, but it would still be interesting to see stock with 93 oct. Probably be in the middle of the two.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Wouldn't their dyno results make more sense to compare the non-tune stock with 93 octane vs tune using 93? I get most non-tune guys will only use 87, but it would still be interesting to see stock with 93 oct. Probably be in the middle of the two.
It would make the tune look a lot worse. Most people only look at gains, but there is a lot of refinement in the tune

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
I can tell you as a retired rep for another car company as soon as I heard lawsuit or attorney the conversation was over.
Yup.

And I never heard from a single one of them again...

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
So I assume the OP of this thread got his refund or settled on the new version of the program?? Aside from reading two pages that had nothing to do with the OP, it was very entertaining :crackup: :clap::giggle:
Anyone want to give us the TLDR?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
My .02 is just get the Livernois tune which has a tow tune and be done with it. For $500 you'll get 5 tunes on A++ customer service. I'm all for trying to get a company to "do the right thing" but when you're trying to take on a big corporation you're going to spend more than it's worth. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a bad experience and move on. :)
HERE..HERE....
Well said Dave!!
And for all those who purchased the Ford Performance Tune package because of the 3/36 warranty.....WELL...I've got twice that mileage on my Livernois Tune with ZERO issues....and I can tow with it ALL DAY LONG....and I've definitely got more available power.....;)
BTW....I still want to meet up with some of you other Colorado folks that are running other tunes besides Livernois....Figure this "who's got the most power thing" out somewhere in the country....lol.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This thread is OBE, Ford has revised their tune to optimize it for towing and it is stated in their description of the tune on the FP web site.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
HERE..HERE....
Well said Dave!!
And for all those who purchased the Ford Performance Tune package because of the 3/36 warranty.....WELL...I've got twice that mileage on my Livernois Tune with ZERO issues....and I can tow with it ALL DAY LONG....and I've definitely got more available power.....;)
BTW....I still want to meet up with some of you other Colorado folks that are running other tunes besides Livernois....Figure this "who's got the most power thing" out somewhere in the country....lol.
Lifetime powertrain warranty for me. But only valid with the tune from Ford Accessories and when installed by the dealer.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
So I assume the OP of this thread got his refund or settled on the new version of the program?? Aside from reading two pages that had nothing to do with the OP, it was very entertaining :crackup: :clap::giggle:
I didn't read all the post in this tread but the original post showed a screenshot that said "Towing not recomended." , Ford never said you couldn't , lol .

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
My thoughts ā€¦

Donā€™t mention lawyer, counsel, legal ā€¦ they will stop talking to you and no offers, understanding , deals, etc will happen. If you pull the gun, you have to be ready to shot.

better to explain you are a loyal customer and all you want is fairness and reasonable treatment. Buy it back, give you a Ford store credit, free oil changes for years, something of reasonable benefit and value.

I am not a lawyer .. but I hire them ?

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Playing the Devils advocate...

I bought a Ranger for several reasons. One was because an equivalent F150 would not fit in my garage. Yes, I threw a put of hard-earned cash under the hood to make it run like an F150, but in the end I got what I wanted, or asked for as the case may be. I don't tow anything but my butt, save for a few boxes taken to the recycle bin. Fact is, no one has sat in the back seat. Ever!

If I were still working for myself, and needed to pull a trailer 24/7 and/or load the bed with a 1,000 pounds of tools, I wouldn't have bought a Ranger in the first place. In other words, buy what fills your daily needs, and weekend chores.

Yes, you can run 87 octane with the tune installed, and you can even tow light trailer loads. However, your driving experience will not be rewarding. But please! Don't complain about what YOU did, as if the rest of us are to blame.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Lifetime powertrain warranty for me. But only valid with the tune from Ford Accessories and when installed by the dealer.
I thought the same thing, no, I called Ford, anything past 36k miles, if they think the failure is due to the tune they can deny the repair.

The guy said "our tune is not very aggressive like some of the other ones out there"
Sponsored