Ford Performance Tune (M-9603-REB)

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Tremor - Cactus Gray
Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Tune for the Ranger (M-9603-REB) is the same regardless of truck year, assuming the Ranger is a 2019-2023?

For instance, I’ve seen the tune advertised at a slightly lower cost for the 19-20 Ranger, but the part number is exactly the same as it is for the 2021-2023 Rangers.

I would imagine the procal unit is the same regardless of model year, and the tune you get is based on registering the voucher you get in the box and your VIN number.

So, I guess what I am asking is, is there any reason why I should not buy the Ford tune as advertised for 19-20 models if I own a 2023 Ranger?

Thanks. Hope this makes sense.
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
When I got my truck, I had to wait for the ‘21 version of the tune to be released and was told by Ford that prior versions would not work. My understanding is that the ‘23 version would be backward compatible to all years, but older versions are not forward compatible.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
It should be the same, the issue can be the market originally sold, or maybe registered in, for 22-23 models. No Cali legal tune for 22-23 years. Since the kit does not include the tune when bought, it has to downloaded after getting the VIN from the target vehicle, there should be no difference, but if it's a 22-23 and they think it's Cali based, good luck.

OP
OP
Scott_Anderson_

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should be the same, the issue can be the market originally sold, or maybe registered in, for 22-23 models. No Cali legal tune for 22-23 years. Since the kit does not include the tune when bought, it has to downloaded after getting the VIN from the target vehicle, there should be no difference, but if it's a 22-23 and they think it's Cali based, good luck.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the CA issue sounds like a real PITA but won’t affect me.

OP
OP
Scott_Anderson_

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I got my truck, I had to wait for the ‘21 version of the tune to be released and was told by Ford that prior versions would not work. My understanding is that the ‘23 version would be backward compatible to all years, but older versions are not forward compatible.
Interesting. It’s odd that a ‘21, as in your case, would not be backwards compatible with 19-20 but ‘23s would.

Thanks for the help.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Interesting. It’s odd that a ‘21, as in your case, would not be backwards compatible with 19-20 but ‘23s would.

Thanks for the help.
in other words, the current version sold by Ford is backward compatible to all years. After the ‘21 was issued, it worked with all years. The important point is that the ‘20 version would not work with a ‘21 and I assume that remains the case.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The versions are different in that not all models have the same standard equipment. The basic tune is perhaps the same, but even if it isn't, the end result is essentially identical.

Saucy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor, 2019 Hyundai Kona
Occupation
Software Slave
Mine did not come preloaded with any maps. They provide the performance calibration that you download after providing the vin and backing up your factory map to the tuner. My understanding is that the module/part itself is all the same.

I purchased a display unit FPT from a dealer, must have been sitting on their shelf for at least a couple years. Flashed to a 22' tremor and it was already calibrated for the tire size and everything. Very easy install-

Another member can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain the tuner itself is backwards and forwards compatible through the model years. You're downloading the maps that they release to you (based on your VIN) when connecting to their server through their proprietary software.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers

Thanks for the help.
It's not that the kit wouldn't support newer trucks, but the database didn't have those new year model VINs added to know which tune to download for it. Until Ford/EPA/CARB approves a tune for a year model the VIN is not in the database. I'm not 100% sure how the VIN part is managed in their database, it could be just the make, engine and year part that they validate if there is a tune available for download. I'm sure once you download the tune for your VIN, the full VIN is logged, but you still have to manually inform them for any warranty coverage. That is why you can't download the tune until you've connected the tuner to the target vehicle and loaded the VIN into it. Once back at the computer it will "ask" the server at Ford Performance if there is a tune available for the loaded VIN, if so and you have a tune credit (from the voucher code) to download the tune you'll be able to so.

In theory the 22 and 23 could have a less aggressive tune than 19-21 in hopes that CARB would have approved it, but the kit you buy is still the same across all years. The tune is just software/config.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scott_Anderson_

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not that the kit wouldn't support newer trucks, but the database didn't have those new year model VINs added to know which tune to download for it. Until Ford/EPA/CARB approves a tune for a year model the VIN is not in the database. I'm not 100% sure now the VIN part is managed in their database, it could be just the make, engine and year part that they validate if there is a tune available for download. I'm sure once you download the tune for your VIN, the full VIN is logged, but you still have to manually inform them for any warranty coverage. That is why you can't download the tune until you've connected the tuner to the target vehicle and loaded the VIN into it. Once back at the computer it will "ask" the server at Ford Performance if there is a tune available for the loaded VIN, if so and you have a tune credit (from the voucher code) to download the tune you'll be able to so.

In theory the 22 and 23 could have a less aggressive tune than 19-21 in hopes that CARB would have approved it, but the kit you buy is still the same across all years. The tune is just software/config.
That is how I am understanding it. The Power Pack Calibration kit is simply the delivery tool, and the tune you receive is based on your VIN, and it is location-dependent (at least for CA residents). So, in theory, it shouldn't make a difference if the kit you purchase is the same year as your truck.

Just curious is anyone has had experience with this scenario. But I'll probably need to call Ford to verify. Not exactly a cheap mod.

Scottlane1171

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
calibration tech
This good info. I have a 2022 ranger and would like to tune it. Can someone assist with what programmer I should buy and where to get the tune?

please and thanks in advance

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Tune for the Ranger (M-9603-REB) is the same regardless of truck year, assuming the Ranger is a 2019-2023?

For instance, I’ve seen the tune advertised at a slightly lower cost for the 19-20 Ranger, but the part number is exactly the same as it is for the 2021-2023 Rangers.

I would imagine the procal unit is the same regardless of model year, and the tune you get is based on registering the voucher you get in the box and your VIN number.

So, I guess what I am asking is, is there any reason why I should not buy the Ford tune as advertised for 19-20 models if I own a 2023 Ranger?

Thanks. Hope this makes sense.
When I bought my MY22, the FP site only showed MY19-21 available. Had to wait till they released a MY22 version. Speaking with FP each MY FPT has to go thru the CARB BS. i guess you could buy a FPT now and wait with an understanding FP may not release a MY23 tune. Worth a call to FP to see if they plan on releasing a MY23 FPT.

redneck wrencher

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Super Crew FX4
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Shop Foreman
When I bought my MY22, the FP site only showed MY19-21 available. Had to wait till they released a MY22 version. Speaking with FP each MY FPT has to go thru the CARB BS. i guess you could buy a FPT now and wait with an understanding FP may not release a MY23 tune. Worth a call to FP to see if they plan on releasing a MY23 FPT.
MY23 FPT has already been released. I got mine back in April. At the time, it wasn't California emissions legal. Since I am in Texas, it was a non issue. Not sure if it was ever released for the Cali bunch yet.
Sponsored