Ford Performance pack warranty? What does it cover?

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Like the title says, wha does the FPP cover? If I install myself, what am I missing out on or hurting? Thoughts and facts if you got ‘em! Thanks in advance! If already covered, my apologies.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To put simple it brings the Factory Powertrain warranty from 5 year 60,000 miles down to 3 years 36,000 miles from the original sale date.

One downside is with the Ford Performance tune is you cant use ForScan for some reason.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Like the title says, wha does the FPP cover? If I install myself, what am I missing out on or hurting? Thoughts and facts if you got ‘em! Thanks in advance! If already covered, my apologies.
Great tune, been running it for 8k miles now, no issues.

OP
OP
RangerAJS

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Problem Solver
Great tune, been running it for 8k miles now, no issues.
Good to know. I found a download of the Ford performance pack program warranty information and it appears that what the reference is 30,000 miles for the tuner. It’s unclear if there is any impact to the manufacturer powertrain limited warranty if I choose to install it myself. I’ll have to call the dealership to see what they have to say. I think I already know the answer to that…

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
To put simple it brings the Factory Powertrain warranty from 5 year 60,000 miles down to 3 years 36,000 miles from the original sale date.

One downside is with the Ford Performance tune is you cant use ForScan for some reason.
I don't think any of this information is correct.

Reading through the warranty docs on the FPP website, the gist seems to be that the FPP warranty covers any damage to the vehicle that is found to be caused by the FPP parts or software added to the truck. The FPP 3yr/36k warranty starts from the date of sale of the vehicle, not the date of install of the parts/software. The original OEM 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper and 5yr/60k powertrain warranties are left intact.

I have the FPP tune installed on my 2019 and FORScan works perfectly for me.

OP
OP
RangerAJS

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Problem Solver

Reading through the warranty docs on the FPP website, the gist seems to be that the FPP warranty covers any damage to the vehicle that is found to be caused by the FPP parts or software added to the truck. The FPP 3yr/36k warranty starts from the date of sale of the vehicle, not the date of install of the parts/software. The original OEM 3yr/36k bumper-to-bumper and 5yr/60k powertrain warranties are left intact.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I read it in a similar way, but you stated more clearly. Did you install yourself or have the dealership do it?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Starkey's of the sale that they are talking about for the warranty is on the factory warranty from when the truck first got sold on the lot brand new. It does not start when you buy the Ford performance tune. This has already been confirmed at the Ford dealership I worked at while talking to my upper management. With that said it still gives you a warranty from the factory but your powertrain warranty becomes the same as your bumper to bumper warranty. Don't get me wrong it's still better than no warranty but that's all it does.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the detailed reply. I read it in a similar way, but you stated more clearly. Did you install yourself or have the dealership do it?
As Ford performance States and needs to be installed by either an authorized Ford dealer or an ASE mechanic. Which way you decide to go is up to you. I myself decided to go with livernois's which does not come with a Ford factory warranty whatsoever but something to keep in mind is if something catastrophic happens with the engine Ford still has to prove that my Livernois tune caused it.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
With that said it still gives you a warranty from the factory but your powertrain warranty becomes the same as your bumper to bumper warranty. Don't get me wrong it's still better than no warranty but that's all it does.
This just isn’t true and please nobody listen to this misinformation. Before purchasing I checked several times with Levittown Ford, Ford Corporate, Ford Performance, as well as two of my local dealers and the 5/60k powertrain is still intact with the tune, as well as any extended warranty (as in my case). Please do more research, Frenchy, because you are spreading false information on more than one thread.

Imagine all the Rangers out there with extended warranties. You think Ford wants to reimburse all of those in exchange for a $600-800 tune? Imagine the headache and back and forth the dealers who sold extended warranties AND the tune to the same owner if something went wrong after 3/36k.

Reactions: Far
OP
OP
RangerAJS

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Problem Solver
This just isn’t true and please nobody listen to this misinformation. Before purchasing I checked several times with Levittown Ford, Ford Corporate, Ford Performance, as well as two of my local dealers and the 5/60k powertrain is still intact with the tune, as well as any extended warranty (as in my case). Please do more research, Frenchy, because you are spreading false information on more than one thread.

Imagine all the Rangers out there with extended warranties. You think Ford wants to reimburse all of those in exchange for a $600-800 tune? Imagine the headache and back and forth the dealers who sold extended warranties AND the tune to the same owner if something went wrong after 3/36k.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf

this is the website I found the warranty on. Didn’t mean to start a controversy but as you can see, it’s not always clear. When I check the pdf at Ford perfomance, it implies that your factory bumper to bumper and power train warranty stays intact.

5098F527-255E-45DB-AE44-F7335AA29C4E.jpeg

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
Anyone know how they know an ASE tech installed it? My dads a ford tech I wonder if I could call him up and have him put it in the system but I install it

OP
OP
RangerAJS

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Problem Solver
Anyone know how they know an ASE tech installed it? My dads a ford tech I wonder if I could call him up and have him put it in the system but I install it
Probably would be ok if he “did everything” ? but I wonder what the paperwork looks like to register the warranty after install. I was thinking the same thing. I have an acquaintance who works at local Ford...does anyone have experience on that...now that the warranty issue is ‘settled’?

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf

this is the website I found the warranty on. Didn’t mean to start a controversy but as you can see, it’s not always clear. When I check the pdf at Ford perfomance, it implies that your factory bumper to bumper and power train warranty stays intact.

5098F527-255E-45DB-AE44-F7335AA29C4E.jpeg
It's perfectly fine to start controversy where it needs to be, but that's just my opinion. You are delivering what the OP asked for.

The 5/60k warranty is still valid even in Frenchy's truck with a Livernois tune. It is up to the dealer (if something goes wrong) to say it isn't valid BECAUSE of said tune. I went with the Ford tune because if something did go wrong I believed it would be harder for Ford to point their finger at their own tune rather than a 3rd parties.

The 3/36k warranty for the ASE installed Ford tune is if something awry goes wrong with the Procal or tune itself once in the truck's memory, the warrantee can take it back to the ASE shop or any Ford dealer and get the tune reinstalled or the Procal replaced in that timeframe. After that 3/36k you are on your own tune-wise, not drivetrain-wise.

Say OP bought the calibration and installed himself/herself. Later on, hypothetically, the tune fudges up in the computer and is constantly recalculating shift points rather than adhering to a set. OP cannot take the tune back to where he/she bought to get it fixed under warranty. He/she would have to pay to have the tune reinstalled. If this second fix was either at an ASE shop or Ford dealer then OP can take it back under warranty if it fudges up again.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So here is a nice little thing to back up my so-called missed information that I'm spreading. Strait off the Ford Performance Website that confirms that the Powertrain warranty goes from 5 year 60,000 miles down to 3 years 36,000 miles. Is it backed by Ford? Yes and no. It is really backed by Ford Performance but you still keep a warranty of sorts wich is still better than nothing.

Screenshot_20210124-220017.png

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
So here is a nice little thing to back up my so-called missed information that I'm spreading. Strait off the Ford Performance Website that confirms that the Powertrain warranty goes from 5 year 60,000 miles down to 3 years 36,000 miles. Is it backed by Ford? Yes and no. It is really backed by Ford Performance but you still keep a warranty of sorts wich is still better than nothing.

Screenshot_20210124-220017.png
Nowhere on the website, or in the warranty, or in what you just posted does it state the powertrain warranty gets “downgraded” or replaced. You are not understanding what the warranty is, and then fabricating information to fit your fabricated conclusion. The 3/36k warranty is on the tune, device, and install. Did you even attempt to read the warranty or look at the above post where it explicitly states that the 5/60k powertrain warranty is still intact? You are not being helpful to OP.
Sponsored