First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Sport FX4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
I just bought the Ford Performance power pack. Ended up going this route because I would like to maintain my warranty. So, I have an appointment to have it installed on Friday. To those who had this dealer installed did you register it and install the updates before taking it to the dealer? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

jlewand3

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
My dealer asked for me to bring in my laptop and we used it to install and do the updates. This way it isn't tied with their computer / accounts.

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Wow! That is a lot better service than my dealership. I dropped it off and was just going to wait because I figured it wont take longer than an hour or two, but they were having issues downloading the actual tune on my truck. Said something about it being incompatible. But long story short they called FP and they sorted it all out. The process took all day, maybe because I have a 21’? Not sure

Reactions: Doc

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Is anyone aware of a best minimum mileage on the truck prior to installing the Ford Tune? Is it best to have say 1000 miles on before tuning?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Is anyone aware of a best minimum mileage on the truck prior to installing the Ford Tune? Is it best to have say 1000 miles on before tuning?
I would send an email to Ford Performance and maybe they could answer it pretty well. I know I tossed it on around 600 miles. I ran the truck hard after the tune was installed. Still run it hard to this day, and when I mean hard I mean always throttle when I can safely. Still running like a charm after 17k miles. I also ran 91 octane since first fill up even before the tune. After transmission learned my craziness after 1k miles it smoothed out like butter whenever WOT. It almost saddened me when it didn't have any abruptness changing gears, just zooming. I'm odd I know.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I just bought the Ford Performance power pack. Ended up going this route because I would like to maintain my warranty. So, I have an appointment to have it installed on Friday. To those who had this dealer installed did you register it and install the updates before taking it to the dealer? Thanks in advance.
I did everything but the final step of transferring the tune to the truck. All steps take no more than a few minutes of time where you are actually actively doing things - 90% of the time is unattended uploads and downloads. There is no reason to have to take your computer to the dealer, just do the next to the last step yourself which downloads the tune to the tool yourself, then take the tool to the dealer. Last step can take as little as 20 minutes. THERE IS NO REASON they need to do any of the rest of the process, actually there is no real reason they need to do any of it, NONE. I was lucky - small town dealer who I drive auction and dealer trades for and know them all - they were actually glad to have minimal involvement. They put it the K/N for me and charged my $6 total.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I did everything but the final step of transferring the tune to the truck. All steps take no more than a few minutes of time where you are actually actively doing things - 90% of the time is unattended uploads and downloads. There is no reason to have to take your computer to the dealer, just do the next to the last step yourself which downloads the tune to the tool yourself, then take the tool to the dealer. Last step can take as little as 20 minutes. THERE IS NO REASON they need to do any of the rest of the process, actually there is no real reason they need to do any of it, NONE. I was lucky - small town dealer who I drive auction and dealer trades for and know them all - they were actually glad to have minimal involvement. They put it the K/N for me and charged my $6 total.
My install today was very much the same, but $6 better on the price. FedEx dropped it off about 14:00, I opened it up, connected the tuner to the Laptop and installed the updates. Took it to the truck and downloaded the stock tune (that took a while). Then I connected back to the laptop and downloaded the tune. Finally put the new parts and the laptop in the truck and drove to the dealer and they pulled it right in, started the flash and while it flashing did the air filter. Just a little after 16:00 was driving out of the dealer lot with a tuned Ranger. Only reason I brought the laptop was incase things didn't go smoothly. Mileage when installed 3335.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
My install today was very much the same, but $6 better on the price. FedEx dropped it off about 14:00, I opened it up, connected the tuner to the Laptop and installed the updates. Took it to the truck and downloaded the stock tune (that took a while). Then I connected back to the laptop and downloaded the tune. Finally put the new parts and the laptop in the truck and drove to the dealer and they pulled it right in, started the flash and while it flashing did the air filter. Just a little after 16:00 was driving out of the dealer lot with a tuned Ranger. Only reason I brought the laptop was incase things didn't go smoothly. Mileage when installed 3335.
We are so much more tech savvy than your average dealer :)
Sponsored