First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I found this video helpful, regarding the trim work.
howdy!

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I installed the Ford controller, but not without some pain. Everything went good until I got to the part where I had to use the grey or black connectors for the third brake light connections. In short, the I had a hard time getting the wires to fit inside the cheap connectors and ended up breaking it. I called Ford and they would not sell me replacement connectors. Therefore, I cut the factory connectors off and put my own butt connectors on and all good. I towed over 1500 miles and the brake controller worked great. I even tested the auto braking and that worked too.

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab
I am almost done adding OEM hitch and Ford Redarc TBC to my 2020 XL 4x4. Only issue is I cannot find the wires under the dash. I had read here that all Rangers have the wires, tow package or not but I have looked and they do not seem to be there on my non tow package truck. This leaves me with a blue and yellow wire to connect. The Redarc instructions simply say to connect them to the corresponding blue/yellow wires under the dash. Any idea what these wires connect to?

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I am almost done adding OEM hitch and Ford Redarc TBC to my 2020 XL 4x4. Only issue is I cannot find the wires under the dash. I had read here that all Rangers have the wires, tow package or not but I have looked and they do not seem to be there on my non tow package truck. This leaves me with a blue and yellow wire to connect. The Redarc instructions simply say to connect them to the corresponding blue/yellow wires under the dash. Any idea what these wires connect to?
Here’s a video installing a (non-Ford kit) TBC when the wires do not exist. They show where the wires would normally be. I don’t know if this would work properly with the Ford kit but you may want to take a look at it.

Also, here’s a thread discussing what Ford is doing for the 2019s without the wires. You may need to check with your dealer service department to see what they can do for you.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...trailer-tow-missing-trailer-tow-wiring.11108/

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s a video installing a (non-Ford kit) TBC when the wires do not exist. They show where the wires would normally be. I don’t know if this would work properly with the Ford kit but you may want to take a look at it.

Also, here’s a thread discussing what Ford is doing for the 2019s without the wires. You may need to check with your dealer service department to see what they can do for you.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...trailer-tow-missing-trailer-tow-wiring.11108/
Thanks for the info and links. I had seen that video but not the Ford letters. I'm trying to find an image of part # KB3Z-15A416-C to see if that helps. My biggest issue is I am down to connecting the last 2 wires - a blue one and a yellow one - and need to figure out what they are. Videos like this and others showing a Redarc (non Ford part) install have different colored wires shown.

I'm thinking blue is the trailer brakes wire - there is also a blue one of similar gauge running from the hitch wiring connector forward that disappears into the loom. Yellow might be 12v power??

Without knowing for sure, I think I will schedule an appointment with the dealer.

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on this: Finally got it into the dealer who told me that as the truck did not come with a tow package, there is no way to tow more that 1000 lbs with the vehicle or any way for them to complete the install of the TBC.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Update on this: Finally got it into the dealer who told me that as the truck did not come with a tow package, there is no way to tow more that 1000 lbs with the vehicle or any way for them to complete the install of the TBC.
I do not believe that is correct on the 1,000 lbs limit. I believe it is 3,750 lbs, but do not quote me on that. I could easily be misinformed.

For a TBC, go with a Curt Echo (once you have a functioning 7 pin connector installed.

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not believe that is correct on the 1,000 lbs limit. I believe it is 3,750 lbs, but do not quote me on that. I could easily be misinformed.

For a TBC, go with a Curt Echo (once you have a functioning 7 pin connector installed.
I think the 1000 lbs is because the dealer says there is no way to add the Ford Redarc brake controller to my truck, there for restricting me to the lower un-braked trailer limit.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase

I think the 1000 lbs is because the dealer says there is no way to add the Ford Redarc brake controller to my truck, there for restricting me to the lower un-braked trailer limit.
Non-towing package trucks are limited to 3,500lbs even on the bumper.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Ranger_r1_Jan29.pdf

You either have 3,500lbs or 7,500lbs as your maximum depending on if you have the tow package or not. A dealer telling you 1,000lbs is blowing smoke and I would likely not trust much they have to say.

PhilG

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I just bought and took ownership of a brand-new Ranger XLT 2021. The salesman told me it could tow 7500 lbs, so I chose that truck over other similar ones. When I got home, my son asked me if it had a brake controller. I told him I bought the tow package, but wasn't sure if the brake controller came with the tow package. To my dismay, it didn't. I promptly called the dealer, and asked them how much I would have to pay to get one installed. They said that they would call me back after they had a price. The next day they called, and said they couldn't install it, because they didn't know how to do it (same statement I have been hearing from all of you!). After arguing with them for weeks, they sold me the Ford authorized controller, and I installed it myself in less than 5 hours. Most of the time was spent carefully removing the trim so I didn't damage it. The other tricky part was finding the connector to the 3rd brake light. It was hidden in the roof behind the top covering. That alone took me an hour. I got it all together, and the truck still works, so I think I did it correctly. I will get my trailer this week once I get the registration from the RMV, and then I can test it.

Thank you everyone for all the advice, videos, spec sheets, etc. I couldn't have done it without all that information. If I had to do another installation, I think I could do it in less than 3 hours. If anyone needs help installing their own unit, I'd be glad to share my new-found knowledge.
UPDATE: It has been almost a year since I installed the brake controller. I have pulled my 16 foot trailer with a compact tractor on it (about 5000 total weight) multiple times, and have had absolutely no problems with the controller. It worked perfectly. Braking was very smooth. I really like the way I can set the amount of braking, and then forget about it.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: It has been almost a year since I installed the brake controller. I have pulled my 16 foot trailer with a compact tractor on it (about 5000 total weight) multiple times, and have had absolutely no problems with the controller. It worked perfectly. Braking was very smooth. I really like the way I can set the amount of braking, and then forget about it.
Yep. It has been fascinating to me how Ford still has yet to include this controller as an option (my Ranger is a '19). After being one of the 'early adopters' and having installed the thing myself, I am not surprised that dealers shy away from the install. ...and after all this, the TBC is just perfect.