Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Mo
This popped up on my YouTube feed the other day (not really sure why as I haven’t even been in the market for a TBC), but figured maybe it’s worth a watch for some of you trying to do an install. He talks about installing on a Ranger without the factory tow package installed and the differences. Also has some other good info for trucks with the factory tow package and why it might not be a good idea to splice into the brake wire from the brake peddle.

Sorry if it’s already been posted...

Mother fucker. Wow. I really need to find someone knowledgeable to install mine. Really knowledgeable
Sponsored

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
My local dealer said if I buy it from them at list price, they will install it for $75. I am just going to go with it. Not worth the risks to me.
The dealer guys worry me. They do the shirt cuts like connecting to the switch and so on. They don't know specifically about the issue in the video, they just work where they can get a job. Many dont know about cars they just know how to work on cars. So now after the video i understand the importance of the center high mounted brake light. Only because i researched it. The ford guys have to work on every ford car out there so they are only familiar with common problems. They are not dumb or stupid (lazy some of them), but it is just impossible to know in every detail every ford make model and trim level. Not with the modern day turnover rates on mechanics

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Sorry, venting here, i was under the assumption they where all created equal. Tore my panel off, and only 4 pin wiring to the trailer module. Great. I installed the 7 pin wiring harness cut the hole put the factory 7 pin plug. Well its just a 4 pin still, with 7 plugs. Great. Thats ok. Just more wiring that i have to throw in. Any of you do an outstanding pro job? Ill travel to your state to get it done. I dont trust the area im in. Everywhere i go i get "rangers cant do that. Do you have a six cylinder engine?" Well no. Its a 4. So that is usually my starting point. Got my work cut out for me.

Rocinante

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4 302A, '99 BMW K1200RS
Sorry, venting here, i was under the assumption they where all created equal. Tore my panel off, and only 4 pin wiring to the trailer module. Great. I installed the 7 pin wiring harness cut the hole put the factory 7 pin plug. Well its just a 4 pin still, with 7 plugs. Great. Thats ok. Just more wiring that i have to throw in. Any of you do an outstanding pro job? Ill travel to your state to get it done. I dont trust the area im in. Everywhere i go i get "rangers cant do that. Do you have a six cylinder engine?" Well no. Its a 4. So that is usually my starting point. Got my work cut out for me.
Not an expert here and I haven’t purchased one to install yet, but if you’re close to Fayetteville, AR I believe that’s where the guy in the video is located. As for the dealer, if you purchase through the dealer and install there, the tech should be following the Ford procedure for the install which (I’m assuming of course) would require it to be wired to the 3rd brake light and not just under the dash.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
My local dealer said if I buy it from them at list price, they will install it for $75. I am just going to go with it. Not worth the risks to me.
that is a install great price...I am now curious to what is their list price?
I would definitely ask and make sure they are not splicing in at the fuse panel.
It took me about 3 hours pulling panels carefully with trim tools in order to not break any clips.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'd make sure it's in writing--more than one person has been quoted a low number (where the dealer thought they were screwing you, and it was just a plug-in like the F150 and would take 2 minutes tops) but then when the dealer found out how much work it was, they tried to back out.

NoleDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I currently have the kit on order from Ford Accessories and picked the option to install for $120 with a specific local dealership. I’m assuming there will be some back and forth once they realize the amount of labor associated with doing it right.

PhilG

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I just bought and took ownership of a brand-new Ranger XLT 2021. The salesman told me it could tow 7500 lbs, so I chose that truck over other similar ones. When I got home, my son asked me if it had a brake controller. I told him I bought the tow package, but wasn't sure if the brake controller came with the tow package. To my dismay, it didn't. I promptly called the dealer, and asked them how much I would have to pay to get one installed. They said that they would call me back after they had a price. The next day they called, and said they couldn't install it, because they didn't know how to do it (same statement I have been hearing from all of you!). After arguing with them for weeks, they sold me the Ford authorized controller, and I installed it myself in less than 5 hours. Most of the time was spent carefully removing the trim so I didn't damage it. The other tricky part was finding the connector to the 3rd brake light. It was hidden in the roof behind the top covering. That alone took me an hour. I got it all together, and the truck still works, so I think I did it correctly. I will get my trailer this week once I get the registration from the RMV, and then I can test it.

Thank you everyone for all the advice, videos, spec sheets, etc. I couldn't have done it without all that information. If I had to do another installation, I think I could do it in less than 3 hours. If anyone needs help installing their own unit, I'd be glad to share my new-found knowledge.

Last edited:

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I have not yet installed one but I finally got my hands on the instructions that come with it... They suck by the way.
this is great, but isn't there an accompanying instruction sheet (Part L)?

Anyone any ideas about these:

What's the cable in step 17 for?
Why is the under seat storage bin removed in step 20?

PhilG

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
this is great, but isn't there an accompanying instruction sheet (Part L)?

Anyone any ideas about these:

What's the cable in step 17 for?
Why is the under seat storage bin removed in step 20?
The cable is for picking up the 3rd brake light above the truck bed. It sneaks under the left side trim, up the driver's side in back, and along the top of the truck. You need to remove the pins holding the storage bin so that you can remove that vertical trim in back of the back seat door. You don't have to remove the rest of the storage bin ... just the pins that capture that trim.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The cable is for picking up the 3rd brake light above the truck bed. It sneaks under the left side trim, up the driver's side in back, and along the top of the truck. You need to remove the pins holding the storage bin so that you can remove that vertical trim in back of the back seat door. You don't have to remove the rest of the storage bin ... just the pins that capture that trim.
I know I'm late to this (and I haven't looked at the TBC install instructions) but you can catch the CHMSL wire under the dash: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/chmsl-3rd-brake-light-strobe-module.13282/

pocket_geek

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Nerd

Fomocodt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 tremor
Occupation
Automotive technician
The dealer guys worry me. They do the shirt cuts like connecting to the switch and so on. They don't know specifically about the issue in the video, they just work where they can get a job. Many dont know about cars they just know how to work on cars. So now after the video i understand the importance of the center high mounted brake light. Only because i researched it. The ford guys have to work on every ford car out there so they are only familiar with common problems. They are not dumb or stupid (lazy some of them), but it is just impossible to know in every detail every ford make model and trim level. Not with the modern day turnover rates on mechanics
Not sure where you are in Texas, but I'd be willing to install for you if you wanted.

You don't have to tee it off near the CHMSL as the wire that you need to connect routes from the BCM over to the rear on right side of vehicle, you can splice in outside of the BCM and run it along the dash harness and put the switch where you want it.

I do not personally plan to put one in my truck when it arrives, but I have installed several for our customer's without any issues including relocating the control knob wherever they wanted it. Not a tough job at all.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Not sure where you are in Texas, but I'd be willing to install for you if you wanted.

You don't have to tee it off near the CHMSL as the wire that you need to connect routes from the BCM over to the rear on right side of vehicle, you can splice in outside of the BCM and run it along the dash harness and put the switch where you want it.

I do not personally plan to put one in my truck when it arrives, but I have installed several for our customer's without any issues including relocating the control knob wherever they wanted it. Not a tough job at all.
South texas, near Brownsville
Sponsored