Ford Authority: Next-Gen Ranger Rumored To Get Twin-Turbo V6 Engine

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Authority: Next-Gen Ranger Rumored To Get Twin-Turbo V6 Engine

If there is one thing that many fans of the 2019 Ford Ranger can agree on is that more power than the EcoBoost four that comes in the truck would be welcome. A new rumor is making the rounds that claims the next-gen Ranger trucks are testing in Australia with a couple of new engines under the hood.

The most exciting rumor is one that might turn up stateside as it has to do with the next-gen Ranger Raptor. Ford is said to be testing a Ranger Raptor with a V8 engine under the hood, it has been rumored that the Ranger Raptor will come to the U.S. with the next-gen Ranger. The lesser Ford Ranger trucks are also tipped to be testing new engines.

At Australia’s You Yangs proving grounds, a Ranger pickup is said to be testing with a turbo 3.0-liter Powerstroke V6 engine under the hood. Another Ranger is tipped to be trying out the Biturbo 2.7-liter V6 engine that is currently offered in the Ford F-150 truck. In F-150 trim the engine makes 325 horsepower and 375 pound-feet of torque.

The current Ford Ranger offered in the States uses a 2.3-liter turbo-four that makes 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. Cramming the Ford 2.7-liter V6 under the hood would make for a nice power boost. The gas V6 is said to be testing specifically for the North American market. The diesel would likely be for the European market.

Ford might choose to bring the diesel engine to North America for the Ranger, Chevy offers a diesel for the Colorado, and perhaps Ford is wanting to compete. Cramming that gas V6 under the hood would make the Ranger the most powerful in its class according to Autocar. Ford recently added an FX2 package for the Ranger that adds off-road skills to the basic rear-wheel-drive Ranger truck.
Sponsored

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
I had to pull my thoughts together over a 2.7 in the next gen Ranger. In the words of Tim The Tool Man Taylor "we need more power ERRRUH." I would get just so I can tow my camper easier might even get better gas mileage while towing vs the 2.3

Hllll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 XLT 302A with Sport package
Yessss...if priced right, this would tip me over from a F150.

another powertrain option that would fit like a glove here would the be 3.3V6 hybrid focused on mpg - boy this would be perfect for me.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
More power? Maybe it’s because my last truck was a 85’ F-350 diesel na but I thought this truck had more than enough power
For what I'm using it for it's plenty enough for me too. Besides the 2.7 is only 65hp more,not enough to make me want to switch and I'm sure I can spend a lot less modifying mine to gain 65hp or very close to it. For those who tow or haul heavier loads this will definitely be a nice option with the add hp and torque. Now if the Raptor version rumors come true I might be interested! :D

Here's another write up basically stating the same as the one above:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/09/ford-ranger-v6-ecoboost-engine/?yptr=yahoo

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
For what I'm using it for it's plenty enough for me too. Besides the 2.7 is only 65hp more,not enough to make me want to switch and I'm sure I can spend a lot less modifying mine to gain 65hp or very close to it. For those who tow or haul heavier loads this will definitely be a nice option with the add hp and torque. Now if the Raptor version rumors come true I might be interested! :D

Here's another write up basically stating the same as the one above:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/09/ford-ranger-v6-ecoboost-engine/?yptr=yahoo
It's all about the torque numbers, HP is just math, torque is where it's at. And you start at a baseline 400tq with the 2.7L, with a full factory warranty, and 0$ in modifications. With some tuning, you are now at an uncontrollable 425ft/lbs and 370+HP no hard parts at all.

The engine in it is adequate, but some people just wanna watch the world burn (tires).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I remain convinced that if you need more power you should just get the f150. Yeah, the ranger can tow 7500, but if you're doing that with any regularity the bigger truck is going to make it a lot more comfortable, in a way that no engine upgrade will.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I really like my Ranger but I hope this is more than rumor. I would have gladly paid more for a 2.7L or 3L engine when I bought it.

I traded my 09 Malibu that had the V6 engine. When we were looking to buy a new Malibu, about 5 years ago, GM only offered a 4 cyl engine even in the highest Malibu trim. We test drove one and hated it. The car felt underpowered, cost a lot more and was noisier than the old one. We were already getting 25-28mpg so decided to keep the 09 longer. In the US, I think, 400hp and 400lbs torque is perfect for a 4000lb vehicle. My 04 Vette gets me 17 city and 30 hwy in normal driving. I like having the power when I need or just want it. I'm not a tire burner or street racer.

I hope Ford is listening now that a new generation mid-size truck is coming. It's about taking some risk, giving the customer options at a reasonable cost, and gaining market share and profit from it. Oh, I forgot; and keeping the EPA happy at the same time. If we're being honest, didn't many of us decide to take some risk when deciding to buy a 2019 Ranger at its US introduction?

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I agree with VAMike, if I wanted more power or was towing 7500 lbs often a F-150 would be necessary. I have a 6500 lb trailer I tow rarely and the 2.3l had more than enough power even in the mountains.

My last comment would be I plan to have this truck a long time and that 4 cylinder single turbo is tight enough in there as it is, a twin turbo v6 would be horrendous to work on

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
My last comment would be I plan to have this truck a long time and that 4 cylinder single turbo is tight enough in there as it is, a twin turbo v6 would be horrendous to work on
I hope they don't shorten the front seat leg room. They could add a couple of inches to the overall length.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to roast the tires at will.....no such thing as too much power :rockon::sunglasses:

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
It's all about the torque numbers, HP is just math, torque is where it's at. And you start at a baseline 400tq with the 2.7L, with a full factory warranty, and 0$ in modifications. With some tuning, you are now at an uncontrollable 425ft/lbs and 370+HP no hard parts at all.

The engine in it is adequate, but some people just wanna watch the world burn (tires).
Not so fast, it's actually the opposite, torque is largely a meaningless figure. To find out how much "work" something can do you need to account for time....aka RPM. You are right in that we use equation/math that utilizes torque and RPM to calculate HP....but at the end of the day, 500 hp is 500 hp, weather that means 1500 ft/lbs at low RPM or 300 ft/lbs at high rpm, they both have the same ability to do the same amount of work. This isn't taking into consideration NVH, durability, longevity, fuel consumption, etc...

It's the reason all large diesel engines are rated based on "HP", torque is largely irrelevant from an application perspective.

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I remain convinced that if you need more power you should just get the f150. Yeah, the ranger can tow 7500, but if you're doing that with any regularity the bigger truck is going to make it a lot more comfortable, in a way that no engine upgrade will.
+1....it's pretty dang quick as it stands, I can't imagine needing any more horsepower at the expense of mileage....