Next-Generation Ford Ranger To Get Plug-In Hybrid Model.. 362 HP

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
Did you figure in the cost of the electricty to charge and replacment batteries?
1. Electricity is more efficient than gasoline. The method from obtaining this is how much work can be done by a gas engine with "x" joules of gasoline compared to an electric motor of similar output using the same joules of electricity. Even with the battery, it still is more efficient. Furthermore, calculate the cost per joule of gasoline against a joule of electricity... Electricity is cheaper (local power costs assumed equal)
2. The batteries in most hybrid cars are rated for 100K-150K miles.

As for the emissions: this will depend on your locality. In West Virginia, coal reigns supreme, so your electricity is worse than gas in terms of pollutants (but still more efficient) but in California, most power is Nat gas or solar/wind... Cleaner. On the other hand, gasoline is more expensive in CA than in WV.
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
1. Electricity is more efficient than gasoline. The method from obtaining this is how much work can be done by a gas engine with "x" joules of gasoline compared to an electric motor of similar output using the same joules of electricity. Even with the battery, it still is more efficient. Furthermore, calculate the cost per joule of gasoline against a joule of electricity... Electricity is cheaper (local power costs assumed equal)
2. The batteries in most hybrid cars are rated for 100K-150K miles.

As for the emissions: this will depend on your locality. In West Virginia, coal reigns supreme, so your electricity is worse than gas in terms of pollutants (but still more efficient) but in California, most power is Nat gas or solar/wind... Cleaner. On the other hand, gasoline is more expensive in CA than in WV.
Are you aware that, if not plugged in for a charge, some of that gasoline usage in a hybrid is charging the batteries? Even when plugged in the electricity is probably being generated by fossil fuels.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Are you aware that, if not plugged in for a charge, some of that gasoline usage in a hybrid is charging the batteries? Even when plugged in the electricity is probably being generated by fossil fuels.
I think most people are aware that a lot of electricity is generated by fossil fuels, what I'm curious about is which is more efficient, generating electricity or running a car off gas.

Arch Stanton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4x4 Ingot Silver 301A
Occupation
V.P. of Research and Development; Telemetry and Guidance Testing Facility at Aerodytech Corporation, Reno, Nevada
I think most people are aware that a lot of electricity is generated by fossil fuels, what I'm curious about is which is more efficient, generating electricity or running a car off gas.
I too wonder how it shakes out in the end since 81% of electricity is from fossil fuels. Am I paying less at the pump but giving it back to the power company?

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
I too wonder how it shakes out in the end since 81% of electricity is from fossil fuels. Am I paying less at the pump but giving it back to the power company?
Once again. Electricity is more efficient than gasoline. On a mile per joule comparison, electricity is more.efficient. it is also cheaper per joule.

And the 81% is mostly natural gas. There are a few hold out coal stations and a few more oil stations.

But some states offset different fossil fuels, so every state will be different InTerms of cost. I'd estimate that states with established nuclear stations will have the cheapest.

The answer is roof solar for true cost efficiency.

Arch Stanton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4x4 Ingot Silver 301A
Occupation
V.P. of Research and Development; Telemetry and Guidance Testing Facility at Aerodytech Corporation, Reno, Nevada
Once again. Electricity is more efficient than gasoline. On a mile per joule comparison, electricity is more.efficient. it is also cheaper per joule.

And the 81% is mostly natural gas. There are a few hold out coal stations and a few more oil stations.

But some states offset different fossil fuels, so every state will be different InTerms of cost. I'd estimate that states with established nuclear stations will have the cheapest.

The answer is roof solar for true cost efficiency.
GOV website say 38% NG and 43% coal and nuke. Guess it depends on Kw/hr rate where you live. The roof solar would be great if I could install a dedicated system just for my garage. My wife and I only drive about 3000 miles a year 95% in town, so a hybrid might be the answer? Still not comfortable with all electric vehicles just yet though.

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
GOV website say 38% NG and 43% coal and nuke. Guess it depends on Kw/hr rate where you live. The roof solar would be great if I could install a dedicated system just for my garage. My wife and I only drive about 3000 miles a year 95% in town, so a hybrid might be the answer? Still not comfortable with all electric vehicles just yet though.
I'm still not down with 100% electric.

Too much weird shit going down and I need to know if I can drive for hundreds of miles at a time with spare fuel in the back if I have to.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Most people who want everybody to spend trillions of dollars switching to a different power system have a monetery gain for themselves. And like all salespeople they throw out unproven BS to make the sale. And scientist who also have a monetery gain in mind can tweak the numbers and throw out fancy words to reel in the sheep. It is and will be the biggest con ever. ?

Deleted member 1634

Did you figure in the cost of the electricty to charge and replacment batteries?
Ours is not a plug-in hybrid, so the electricity is coming from running the engine and regenerative braking, which are included in the fuel from the pump and purchase cost of the vehicle respectively, not plugging it into the wall. We've already bought the vehicle so that's covered, and the cost of fuel was considered in my calculations. As far as the battery life, the battery is designed to last 100k+ miles, more if you take care of it. And given the kind and amount of miles we'll put on it, we'll likely be looking for a replacement before or around then.

No energy is free, that's just science. But I think we are saving money in the long run given what the vehicle is being used for. A hybrid isn't the right answer for every need, but neither is the Ranger or any other vehicle. And if it ends up costing us more in the end, I'm fine with that, because no vehicle is perfect, unexpected things happen, and at least we tried.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I'd have to see the system. Dodge has "passive hybrid" trucks. High voltage battery packs that feed and get regenerative braking charge from a belt belt driven generator/electric motor. This thing gives the engine belt driven boost in high power demand, and charges the drive batteries back up with regen deceleration and braking.

I bought my Ranger for the towing torque. Most hybrids I know have a syn drive with a CVT. ..good for mileage, not so good for torque or extended high power requirements. Once the drive battery is on it's knees, it all petrol to pull the load and charge up the battery.

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
I'd have to see the system. Dodge has "passive hybrid" trucks. High voltage battery packs that feed and get regenerative braking charge from a belt belt driven generator/electric motor. This thing gives the engine belt driven boost in high power demand, and charges the drive batteries back up with regen deceleration and braking.

I bought my Ranger for the towing torque. Most hybrids I know have a syn drive with a CVT. ..good for mileage, not so good for torque or extended high power requirements. Once the drive battery is on it's knees, it all petrol to pull the load and charge up the battery.
They stated it'll be tied to the 10 speed.
Sponsored