First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Hot Pepper Red with Black Package
Occupation
Public School Administrator
My question is: "What changes have there been to the drivetrain?"

The reason I ask is that you usually only see exhaust like that when they are doing drivetrain testing due to changes, updated drivetrain, new drivetrain, etc. Those pipes allow easy attachment of instruments, etc. The current drivetrain is already certified, so what are they changing? New tuning, new emissions equipment, maybe a 2.7 Ecoboost V6, maybe a hybrid drivetrain? Interesting to see that...

Advertisement

Texasota

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2015 Fusion Hybrid
My question is: "What changes have there been to the drivetrain?"

The reason I ask is that you usually only see exhaust like that when they are doing drivetrain testing due to changes, updated drivetrain, new drivetrain, etc. Those pipes allow easy attachment of instruments, etc. The current drivetrain is already certified, so what are they changing? New tuning, new emissions equipment, maybe a 2.7 Ecoboost V6, maybe a hybrid drivetrain? Interesting to see that...
Automotive articles from last May timeframe say a plug-in hybrid is planned for this next generation Ranger.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I think the reason the 5g came out with so little at the beginning, and added as the years have gone on, was because it was essentially a rush place holder generation for North America with the intent of getting something fresh and new in a few years. Ford realized they screwed up taking it away in the first place, and needed to get back into the game quickly. So they just American-ized an existing generation to get their foot in the door before it fully closed on them.

I think the fact that the Tremor package is now across the whole truck lineup (Ranger, F-150, and Superduty) means it'll be around for awhile. And that it was a full Ford Trucks decision, not just a Ranger one. Plus the new F-150 is coming out of the gate in it's first year with a Tremor package, and that also has a Raptor trim. I would agree that having an FX4, Tremor, and Raptor trims/packages seems to saturate the off-road options though in my opinion.

I think they added some different options to it afterwards once they saw that it was actually selling pretty good. Moved up to 2nd place in only a couple years of existence. So might as well put some money into it to get more out.

Also, I'd hope they roll it out better than the Bronco launch because that has been wrought with issues and delays for years. But we shouldn't get into that here.
I 100% agree with pretty much everything you just stated. Can you imagine if Ford brought the 5th gen Ranger to the NA market back when it hit the other global markets? With the Tacoma not getting an update until ‘16, the Ranger would have definitely shook up the midsize market. So foolish of Ford to not offer the 5th gen Ranger sooner!!!

While the Tacoma is a nice truck I don’t understand why is has remained so dominant? The seating position alone is horrible and the crew cab feels far more cramped than a Ranger SuperCrew. I think the 5th gen Ranger beats it in almost every category except for the available options (no crewcab/longbed, no sunroof, etc...). Now with a Tremor package coming, it has a chance in competing with the TRD-Pro.

I’m definitely holding out for the 6th gen Ranger with the hopes of a SuperCrew/longbed? If so, I’d be all over a Lariat with Tremor package too.

2.7EcoBoost

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I agree. The current ranger weighs almost as much as the current F-150:

1610544951334.png
With the price of the current gen bloating, I too wish they'd use aluminum. I read somewhere that the Bronco is using an all new high strength steel ( thinner/lighter ) to save weight, so I think Ford will likely go that route. It's a great concept. Thinner, lighter and yet stronger. But to me, thinner means faster rust through so unless it has some sort of advanced corrosion resistance thinner high strength steel is a farce. I really like my Ranger, but the paint quality is terrible. I love to take the first really nice spring day and detail my vehicle. Except with this thing it means a day of touching up rock chips from the anti skid the past winter.

Lost19Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I like the idea of the new ranger look! However, practicality is best and for me to replace the headlight housing or the bumper or the grill etc. looks like it will be a fight. So although aesthetically pleasing it will be cool to see how easy mods are and price wise!

Craig

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
CSA
Vehicle Showcase

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
That’s a shame. I’ll be looking at a Tacoma or Frontier for my next truck then.
Why? Both employ a V6 with less total output and capability than the 2.3T, get worse mileage and still can't tow as much and have lower cargo capacities. Not to mention that Toyota still thinks drum brakes are acceptable in a modern pickup truck and Nissan hasn't updated the Frontier since Bush II was in office.

I'm assuming it's a pride issue then? 🤷‍♂️

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Why? Both employ a V6 with less total output and capability than the 2.3T, get worse mileage and still can't tow as much and have lower cargo capacities. Not to mention that Toyota still thinks drum brakes are acceptable in a modern pickup truck and Nissan hasn't updated the Frontier since Bush II was in office.

no replacement for displacement???

I dunno. seems like a poorly thought out decision.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL

A pride issue? You know what they say about making assumptions...

Try the lack of port injection. I own a 2020 Ranger and have had nothing but good experiences. Doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the 2.3L longterm.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
A pride issue? You know what they say about making assumptions...

Try the lack of port injection. I own a 2020 Ranger and have had nothing but good experiences. Doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the 2.3L longterm.
Asking a question is not an assumption. 🙄

However, if you're suggesting that port injection is superior to direct injection, well that explains why you're okay with purchasing a new truck in the 21st century that still uses drum brakes yet costs over $40,000. Enjoy your Taco.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Asking a question is not an assumption. 🙄

However, if you're suggesting that port injection is superior to direct injection, well that explains why you're okay with purchasing a new truck in the 21st century that still uses drum brakes yet costs over $40,000. Enjoy your Taco.
You literally said yourself you are making an assumption.

I can upgrade the brakes on a tacoma with ease, can you add port injection to the 2.3l easily?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Reaction score
Website
www.coroflot.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified, 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo Modified (sold)
Occupation
Mack Trucks Senior Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mariner 2017 Suzuki DL650 1980 Kawasaki KZ750
Occupation
Vagabond

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Reaction score
Website
www.coroflot.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified, 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo Modified (sold)
Occupation
Mack Trucks Senior Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Advertisement

Advertisement