Very first next-gen 2023 Ford Ranger prototype!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That almost guarantees the 2.7 will be available, even if only on some type of high level performance package
Yes, IMO that's why they had to bloat up the front end--serving the people who can't live without a V6 at the expense of people who liked a truck with decent visibility and a front end that wasn't the giant box that has become so trendy on pickups these days.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

rossagge

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
I do stuff...
It's gonna be a nice truck. As much as most here like the look/design of the current Ranger, that doesn't fit into Ford USA's branding and marketing scheme. This truck was originally meant for the Asian & Pacific market. Now that they will remake it and it's already here (US), they are gonna make it follow their brand design. So, yes, it will look like a mini-F150. Don't think that's a bad thing. I get everyone wants a unique vehicle that stands out from the herd, but automakers don't follow that line of thinking. It won't be as big as an F150 and the size will only be slightly bigger than what it is now. Makes no marketing sense to make it "much" bigger.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's gonna be a nice truck. As much as most here like the look/design of the current Ranger, that doesn't fit into Ford USA's branding and marketing scheme. This truck was originally meant for the Asian & Pacific market. Now that they will remake it and it's already here (US), they are gonna make it follow their brand design. So, yes, it will look like a mini-F150. Don't think that's a bad thing. I get everyone wants a unique vehicle that stands out from the herd, but automakers don't follow that line of thinking. It won't be as big as an F150 and the size will only be slightly bigger than what it is now. Makes no marketing sense to make it "much" bigger.
I don't care about looks, I care about visibility over the hood--which the designers in AU apparently care about more than the fashion designers in the US.

rossagge

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do stuff...
I don't care about looks, I care about visibility over the hood--which the designers in AU apparently care about more than the fashion designers in the US.
Point taken. But that's also a safety thing. Hoods are bulgier now to cave in during a pedestrian hit. Suppose to help absorb the impact and cause less bodily damage.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
One thing we know - Ford Europe pledged to be all electric or hybrid by 2026, including Ranger. Many of the latest prototype photos seen in Australia and US include those with the yellow circle window sticker, which in recent years has always meant a hybrid test vehicle. Fairly certainly the T6.2 Ranger will have a hybrid option; Bronco will have one coming for sure. The move to T6.2 means it's not a completely new platform; it's the same version of the T6 the Bronco uses. That almost guarantees the 2.7 will be available, even if only on some type of high level performance package. The continued use of the T6 platform and the means it's unlikely there will be longer wheel bases or something that will give us the option of crew with 6 foot bed, especially since Toyota no longer offers that option on the Tacoma.
The Tacoma is still available in a crewcab/longbed configuration., just not in all trims. I just built a TRD Sport in that configuration online the other day. That configuration is available in 4 trims (4WD) and 2 trims (2WD).

Last edited:

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
If you look at the size comparison at the Maverick launch, the Ranger could grow an inch or two in a few dimensions to better split the difference between the Maverick and F-150. The current Ranger is biased to the Maverick at the moment. I for one wouldnā€™t mind slightly more room.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Point taken. But that's also a safety thing. Hoods are bulgier now to cave in during a pedestrian hit. Suppose to help absorb the impact and cause less bodily damage.
Which is negated by a high front end that smashes people instead of letting them roll over the hood. This is for fashion and the stupid v6, not safety.

rossagge

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do stuff...
Which is negated by a high front end that smashes people instead of letting them roll over the hood. This is for fashion and the stupid v6, not safety.
Haha. You guys really think a bulging hood is to accommodate a V6 or because of a V6? You think the V6 has blowers on it? The engine will sit well below the fender line (do to safety as well). The engine bay will be wider, longer and taller if anything to accommodate a V6. Look at every truck including HD's. My HD Cummins hood bulges and it's not because of a Cummins engine and so did my Gasser 6.4L Hemi Ram HD Engine. Only exceptions are truck with active hood scoops, but it ain't cuz of the engine, it's the intake. I get it, you don't like the looks, so be it. It's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea. Yes, I'm sure style (fashion) has a part to play into it, again, that's branding. I have no real opinion either way. I'll wait to make my overall decision after I get all the facts and see that interior. I hope they do right with that. Prob will look better than the exterior. :like:

Edit: And yes, because the engine will bulge and hinder off-road visibility, I'm sure it will have some sort of trail cam, forward facing cam. And that will be more money unfortunately. It will prob be "tech'd" out. And that's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Itā€™s fascinating how much emotion the 6G is generating and it hasnā€™t even been revealed yet. Change is coming but most of it is going to be great! Canā€™t wait to see it. Especially the PHEV! Bring it on, Ford!

rossagge

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do stuff...
Itā€™s fascinating how much emotion the 6G is generating and it hasnā€™t even been revealed yet. Change is coming but most of it is going to be great! Canā€™t wait to see it. Especially the PHEV! Bring it on, Ford!
Yeah you hit it on the head. Lots of emotion. Folks just need to wait to see what Ford reveals. Each has their opinion of what they feel would make a better truck. I get that, but you gotta base that on how the reality of the automotive industry works. We can rant and rave all day about what we think is best or how it looks, but at the end of the day is it gonna be a purpose built truck for what you need or should I say what Ford thinks we need/want. If it's not then move on. A lot of high hopes for this truck and rightly so. Lots of brand loyalty and lots of folks that just want a good truck for the money. I'm the latter.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha. You guys really think a bulging hood is to accommodate a V6 or because of a V6?
No, I think it will be wider and taller in the front to accommodate the v6. Someone else talked about bulges. It doesn't really bother me, either (except for the general annoyance that this fashion trend has made trucks/suvs more dangerous for people outside them): I just won't buy one.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I do think they will be very nice, but I just love the design of my 2019 Ranger and pray it will last me a very long time. I always enjoy seeing new designs. It just usually takes a little bit to grow on me.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Ahh!, so we are designing now for less bodily damage when we hit people because we couldn't see them over the big jacked up hood.
Makes sense now.
Sponsored