EU putting speed control by 2024

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Expect to see this in North American cities moving forward.

Toronto (4th largest city in NA) has already started to reduce the standard 50 km/hr limit on most surface routes to 40. That’s from 32 to 25 mph. At the same time, they are increasing the number of areas that are 30 km/hr (20 mph) by expanding beyond school and playground zones to include areas with daycares, senior centres, community centres, hospitals, and more. Ideally, the Chief Coroner for the city would like to move to 30 km/hr everywhere that it is currently 50 km/hr. Ugh!

This new technology will help them achieve this for new vehicles. That drive to the cottage will get a lot longer. ?

All those speeding city transit drivers will hate this but it will be no problem for outside muni workers - their vehicles are always parked with the workers inside, having a snooze. ?
II wonder if ppl realize that most speed limits are based on data from like the 1950's cars are a lot better now, the top gear australia special demonstrates this beautifully
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
II wonder if ppl realize that most speed limits are based on data from like the 1950's cars are a lot better now, the top gear australia special demonstrates this beautifully
This is true..... but the drivers are much worse! (for the most part)

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I am all for having a tiered driver license with endorsements. You would need a special endorsement for interstate travel. If you don't have it, you get to stay off. Also one for towing a trailer.Pretty tired of dealing with people who have no business driving at speed on the highway. They could implement this with new drivers. Also they must complete a course of simulator training driving a 18 wheeler, so they can understand how they operate and drive so they don't cause an accident with their ignorance. So glad i'm retiring soon.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
when the small percentage of the population cant control their actions, then the rest of society gets punished.

it should be legal to openly pummel excessive speeders at the next red light. perhaps mob justice and the effect it has on the asshats will delay the needed legislation for this.
How about we make it illegal to speed? That will surely stop people from speeding. “ heavy on sarcasm “

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I don’t see this happening here in the states. Localities generate far too much revenue through moving violations to give that up. In smaller communities the revenue can be a significant portion of income that could only be made up by higher taxes. It’s easier for localities to raise fines and fees (seen as punishing the law breakers) rather than raise taxes on everyone as a whole.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I am all for having a tiered driver license with endorsements. You would need a special endorsement for interstate travel. If you don't have it, you get to stay off. Also one for towing a trailer.Pretty tired of dealing with people who have no business driving at speed on the highway. They could implement this with new drivers. Also they must complete a course of simulator training driving a 18 wheeler, so they can understand how they operate and drive so they don't cause an accident with their ignorance. So glad i'm retiring soon.
I disagree we already have driving tests and knowledge tests and when getting your license the parent is required to teach you for a year, the trailer endorsement maybe but to drive on a highway? Come on

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I disagree we already have driving tests and knowledge tests and when getting your license the parent is required to teach you for a year, the trailer endorsement maybe but to drive on a highway? Come on
And how would this be enforced? Have Checkpoint Chickies set up everywhere?
1657731065184.png

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
We had speed cameras in AZ for a while and it actually slowed down the Phx Racers, it was funny to see. But, the pollution's (SP) got tickets also so it went away. Now the PHX Racers are back up to speed. Tucson drivers are a little slower because of no freeways and lots of potholes. :shock:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Just to be perfectly clear I was disagreeing with him cause what he was suggesting is ridiculous, but yes ghillie suited motorcycle cops is absolutely the answer lmao
And I was agreeing with you?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would like to see this tech hit delivery vehicles and be an optional setting for teenage drivers
Though I've never messed with it, your Ranger has the ability to set speed limits for different drivers.

MyKey

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
From a selfish perspective, I can actually see some positives for such measures.

We live on a pretty steep and curvy road. The speed limit is 20 mph, and frankly, that is the right number for dry pavement. Our driveway cut dumps us out on the road just past a blind curve. People who live up the road are always going waaaay too fast as they come down the road. Even though close calls are a pretty common, it doesn't slow people down. The problem is pretty par for the course as people who live here are very familiar with the road and it is pretty steep downhill, so it is normal for people to get going faster than they otherwise might from throttle alone, just from gravity.

It would make us pretty happy if they couldn't go faster than 20 coming down that hill.

Now, for people like me, it should shut itself off automatically, once it sensed a superior driver behind the wheel... ;)
Sponsored