Engine Ping! - 2021 Ford Ranger Tremor

RepMontreal

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm having an engine ping/spark knock issue with my 2021 Ford Ranger. From what I can tell, besides a K&N air filter, the truck is completely stock. I've kept up with the oil changes and changed out the rear pads, but other than that I haven't done much to it. I started noticing the issue when a check engine light came on for P0402 exhaust gas recirculation excessive. The code would come on intermittently and usually clear after a few key cycles. During a trip up to NC hauling two bikes in the bed, the code came on 12 times and I started to notice the engine ping. I'm not sure if it began during the trip or if it was always there, as I only noticed it because my radio was off (I usually keep it on). Long story short, I took it to the dealership and they replaced the DPFE sensor. The engine light hasn't come back on yet, but the engine ping is still there. I've rescheduled to bring the truck back. My question is - What could cause this issue? The truck has 37k miles on it and I use it mostly to commute. The ping occurs under normal to moderate acceleration once the transmission shifts into 5th gear and will continue to ping all the way into 8th. It's intermittent, as it doesn't occur every time, but it does happen. I've only noticed it at normal op temperature, and it sounds like someone dropped some glass ball bearings in the cylinders. I live in Florida, and the hot weather seems to make it worse. I understand that higher octane fuel should fight this issue, but it kind of defeats the purpose of buying a smaller truck if I have to use premium. This truck is rated for 87 octane, and that's what I use. From what I understand, ping may occur due to excessive compression and/or hot air. I doubt the K&N air filter would cause it to run that lean, but I may be mistaken. I'm wondering if I have excessive carbon buildup on the pistons from the EGR issue causing higher compression. All this emmissions crap they put on these newer engines is a real pain (And, of course, it's only covered under a 2 year warranty). Thoughts?

Much appreciated, RepMontreal
Sponsored

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
I doubt spark plugs can cause it but I hear some people saying that spark plugs 1 or 4 get water on them somehow and start to rust

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Try a tank of 93. If that fixes it.... you have your answer. Not one you want per your post. You could probably drop back to low octane crap gas once it cools down a bit.

I am stuck with 93, but the difference in the cost of a tank vs 87 is worth it IMO.

If that doesn't do it. Pull the plugs to "read" them. You might have a wonky injector.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
If somebody put a K & N on it , they may have also tuned it requiring more octane , fill up with the good stuff , drop into sport mode and see how she acts ...
Good point and maybe more has been done to the truck. Downpipe, custom exhaust?

Switch back to a stock filter.

Worst case you run midgrade gas.

OP
OP
RepMontreal

RepMontreal

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Good point and maybe more has been done to the truck. Downpipe, custom exhaust?

Worst case you run midgrade gas.
I'd have to see a stock exhaust to compare, but it looks and sounds pretty stock to me. I'll admit it's possible someone tuned it, but its not obviously apparent to me. I get 16.4 mpg, but I attributed that to an aftermarket warn bumper, the 4wd components, and slightly larger tires (definitely not my right foot ;)). I took some pictures of the plugs and inspected the air filter. It needs to be cleaned, but its not clogged by any standards.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'd have to see a stock exhaust to compare, but it looks and sounds pretty stock to me. I'll admit it's possible someone tuned it, but its not obviously apparent to me. I get 16.4 mpg, but I attributed that to an aftermarket warn bumper, the 4wd components, and slightly larger tires (definitely not my right foot ;)). I took some pictures of the plugs and inspected the air filter. It needs to be cleaned, but its not clogged by any standards.
So the truck has been modified. It's possible other stuff has been fiddled with and likely to my thinking. Switch back to a stock filter, they provide more protection to the motor anyway.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If somebody put a K & N on it , they may have also tuned it requiring more octane , fill up with the good stuff , drop into sport mode and see how she acts ...
Or added the K & N without a tune and the Air / Fuel delivery is off - The MAPT sensor is leaning out the fuel mixture, you need to look at STFT and see what it is doing.
It is possible the EGR system is still at fault. Scan the system for codes.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Crap - Or Took the Tune off and went back to stock and left the K & N

OP
OP
RepMontreal

RepMontreal

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
So the truck has been modified. It's possible other stuff has been fiddled with and likely to my thinking. Switch back to a stock filter, they provide more protection to the motor anyway.
I'll switch back to the stock filter. Do you think 16.4 mpg is low for these trucks? I really don't drive it that aggressively and it's mostly on the highway with some city miles thrown in. I rarely put it in sport mode. Another thing I forgot to mention that may be completely irrelevant to this thread is that I had to replace the front universal joint on the main driveshaft at 33k miles. It was completely shot. Needle bearings had turned to dust. I'll post some pics of the spark plugs soon. I'm just waiting for them to send to my email....internet is slow where I live.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I get 21 mpg on my 21' Tremor. So 16.4 is very low.

I am concerned you are noting driveshaft issues. That is not normal.

Post pictures of your truck so we can identify what modifications are on it for you.

Scott_Anderson_

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Tremor - Cactus Gray
16.4 seems low. I have a 2023 Tremor and average around 21 mpg completely stock on premium. This is basically commuting to and from work in town. On the highway, mpg is much higher. I’ve seen it as high as 26.5 in some cases on long trips.

bruhaum

First Name
Kelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
I'll switch back to the stock filter. Do you think 16.4 mpg is low for these trucks? I really don't drive it that aggressively and it's mostly on the highway with some city miles thrown in. I rarely put it in sport mode. Another thing I forgot to mention that may be completely irrelevant to this thread is that I had to replace the front universal joint on the main driveshaft at 33k miles. It was completely shot. Needle bearings had turned to dust. I'll post some pics of the spark plugs soon. I'm just waiting for them to send to my email....internet is slow where I live.
On my Tremor with a stock tune, stock suspension, and 33 inch tires, I get about around 17.4 with 70% highway driving. I don't have an aftermarket bumper like you though.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Do you think 16.4 mpg is low for these trucks? I really don't drive it that aggressively and it's mostly on the highway with some city miles thrown in.

Very low , im at 19.5 with almost zero interstate and i drive like a madman, 100% in Sport mode and treat every stoplight like it may be my last , unless your lifted and have really heavy tires , something be off... (Sport mode is the proper mode for these trucks , "D" is a joke when your RPM's want to flutter around 1000 , anything under 1500 feels horrible to me )

SpaceGhost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I ran a K&N on stock tune and premium gas with no issues. Like others said put some premium in and maybe some dry gas mix.
Sponsored