2021 ford ranger climate problems

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
I am just talking about the temperature coming out of the vents. Is is 30 degrees outside when I leave work and I have my temperature set to 75 and fan speed on 3 with dual control pushed now on my way home from work it is blowing way hotter than 75 degrees. But when I come back to work is 60 degrees outside but my climate settings are the same as when I left work and it is blowing cool air not roasting air like it is in the am. I am just wondering why there is such a different temperature coming out in the am then there is in the evening. Here is a pic of my settings it it loads
20210323_161901.jpg
And here is a picture of the temperature i am getting using a thermometer when going to work will get another temperature of it leaving work
20210323_161923.jpg
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
And here is a picture of the temperature i am getting using a thermometer when going to work will get another temperature of it leaving work
20210323_161923.jpg
Set it on Auto, set the desired temperature, and then leave it alone.
  • Don't adjust the fan speed
  • Don't put it on Vent or Vent/Floor
  • Don't put it on recirculate.
It will decide which outlets to use and at what temperature air to move through the cab.

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
It may work erratically like you are describing if you have it in Recirculate mode. Once the cab is at a temperature either hot or cold that is comfortable, turn the Recirculate mode off.
BTW, the 2021 Owner's manual hasn't changed, at least as far as Climate Control is concerned..

Also, be sure that the cab temperature sensor is not blocked. It's on the lower right driver'ssise panel ahead of the ignition switch.

View attachment .jpeg copy.pdf
The cab sensor only applies if you are using auto mode

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
Set it on Auto, set the desired temperature, and then leave it alone.
  • Don't adjust the fan speed
  • Don't put it on Vent or Vent/Floor
  • Don't put it on recirculate.
It will decide which outlets to use and at what temperature air to move through the cab.
Yeah but the point of my paying 35.000 is to use any mode I want not the mode that works

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
This is yet another area where the Owner's Manual could be better written.

I suspect, but cannot say with certainty because of the poor documentation, that in vehicles equipped with Automatic Climate Control, the temperature control only works in AUTO mode.

From the manual:

Switching Auto Mode On and Off

Press and release the button to switch on automatic operation, then set the temperature.

The system adjusts the blower motor speed, air distribution, air conditioning operation, and outside or recirculated air to reach and maintain the temperature you have set.

If you disable Auto Mode, I think that you must provide all of the adjustments yourself to get the desired results, just as you would have done in any car made since about 1950. The whole point of purchasing the Automatic Climate Control option is to allow the electronics to make the cabin safe and comfortable for you without constantly fiddling with it everywhere you go.

If you honestly think that the system is not working correctly (and I don't think that anything in the Owner's Manual will provide a definitive answer about correct operation) you really should take it to a dealer, maybe a different one than where you bought it. Ask them to explain how it is supposed to work, then compare that to how you think it should work. Only Ford has all of the right answers. If it needs repair, get it fixed. If not, press the AUTO button and forget about it.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hello new owner here. I have 2021 ranger that is have weird climate issues. I live in Virginia so when I get off work at 6 am it is still around 28 to 30 degrees out. Now I have my heat set at 75 degrees and using duel climate control. I do not have it set to auto when I leave work at 6 am it gets so hot inside that I have to turn down the temp as low as it will go to not get hot that is even with the outside temperature at 25 degrees. No I go home to sleep get up around 3 and leave for work at 4 to be at work at 5 pm my temperature can be set at 75 on both side and fan running full speed at it feels like it is just 60 degrees in side
If you are not using auto mode, you should realize the temps set are just a reference, not exact - kinda like turning the hot-cold knob on an older system.

I have a 21 Lariat and find the full auto mode works ideal. I rarely override it.

If you are in manually mode, as it seems, I think the system is working fine. IE if you are cold, increase the temperature number (regardless of the actual number). If you are hot, decrease the number (regardless of the actual number).

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
If you are not using auto mode, you should realize the temps set are just a reference, not exact - kinda like turning the hot-cold knob on an older system.

I have a 21 Lariat and find the full auto mode works ideal. I rarely override it.

If you are in manually mode, as it seems, I think the system is working fine. IE if you are cold, increase the temperature number (regardless of the actual number). If you are hot, decrease the number (regardless of the actual number).
That is not how set points work. If it is 29 degrees outside and and you are manual mode NOT AUTO and you have the temp set to 75 it is not going to raise to max temp just because it can. It should not blow any hotter that what you set it at because that is how a blend door works in a heating system

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
That is not how set points work. If it is 29 degrees outside and and you are manual mode NOT AUTO and you have the temp set to 75 it is not going to raise to max temp just because it can. It should not blow any hotter that what you set it at because that is how a blend door works in a heating system
Regardless of how set points may or may not work in any other HVAC system other than the Ranger, I don't see any reason to believe that the numbers you see on the dash display are set points at all. Your assumption that this is the way it was designed to work is unproven, and you'll never resolve your issues with it until you can answer that question.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
well, you got it all figured out in your mind

you wont take advice from people here

you wont go back to the dealer

so what exactly do you want from us further??

Jqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT 2wd
I will try to check it out tomorrow.. I think I have a thermometer that will work. I don't know that the actual degree temp will be all that accurate in manual mode, but if you set it at 75, it should be somewhere in the middle of the temp range, not all the way hot or cold.

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
So you are telling me that if you set your temp to 75 it is going to get hotter on it own when it is 29 degrees outside. And for your info smart ass can go to the dealer at 9:00 at night and I already have it set up to go there again

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
I will try to check it out tomorrow.. I think I have a thermometer that will work. I don't know that the actual degree temp will be all that accurate in manual mode, but if you set it at 75, it should be somewhere in the middle of the temp range, not all the way hot or cold.
I used a thermometer on mine on my way to work and it read about 78 out of all vents as the picture shows but will check mine again in the am when I leave work which is when it really asks up and see what it reads

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Basically, as I understand it .... in manual

If inlet air is 28*, your system will add lots of Btu's to get to 75* outlet at the heater..

If the inlet air is 60*, less Btu's added to get to 75* outlet.

I don't think the cares what the cab temp is when in manual, just how many Btu's it needs too add to put 75* air intro it.

Personally I would set it at 75* and auto and see if the results vary significantly from what you experience in manual.

OP
OP

Slgndrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger
I know how to do all of that but like I said I am not running auto so the temperature should not go from 75 to max heat all on its own
And before you post a video showing how to operate a sync 3 radio you should know not everybody's sync 3 radio is like the one in the video
Sponsored