Difference between Ranger 2.3 ecoboost and Explorer 2.3 ecoboost?

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Curiosity hit me after looking to buy my wife a 2020 Ford Explorer with what I thought was the same 2.3 ecoboost motor as my 2020 Ford Ranger.

Ranger shows 270hp and 310lb-ft of torque
Explorer shows 300hp and 310lb-ft of torque

Wondered if anyone knew of something mechanically different between the two, or if the Explorer was just tuned differently from Ford.
Sponsored

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
My guess would be different turbo or tuning to produce more torque at lower rpm’s, limiting high rpm hp.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Tuning most likely. Also the ranger has way better capability offroad if that is your goal. The reason I say this is simple. Its a body on frame design which is superior to unibody for offroad.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does the explorer use the 10-speed?
Yes it does. So far the only difference between the exploder and ranger is the shifter(electric vs cable) and the transmission cooler(different heat exchanger for space).

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Curiosity hit me after looking to buy my wife a 2020 Ford Explorer with what I thought was the same 2.3 ecoboost motor as my 2020 Ford Ranger.

Wondered if anyone knew of something mechanically different between the two, or if the Explorer was just tuned differently from Ford.
Hey, the Explorers make good power, no question about that. They are just too close to the ground....

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Hey, the Explorers make good power, no question about that. They are just too close to the ground....
For my wife, it should make a great vehicle.....but I can’t have less horsepower. The only logical thing to do is get a tuner for my truck!

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The rotating assembly for the ranger 2.3 is unique to the ranger only. It does not share the same part number as the focus rs or mustang. (Which share part numbers).

I'm waiting for a tear down eventually to find out exactly what's inside these blocks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The rotating assembly for the ranger 2.3 is unique to the ranger only. It does not share the same part number as the focus rs or mustang. (Which share part numbers).

I'm waiting for a tear down eventually to find out exactly what's inside these blocks.
Most likely Rainbows, Puppies and Magical Unicorns Sir!! Lol

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
On a sidenote a lot of parts are interchangeable on the 2.3 engine for example I purchased a Boomba blow off adapter that was meant for the 2.3 mustang because it was about $30 cheaper than the one they sell for the Ranger and it fits perfectly with no issues.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

This article from Road and Track does not directly address your Ranger vs Explorer question but it gives a pretty good insight into how Ford tailors an engine to the vehicle. In this case it is the Focus RS vs Ranger versions. There is some good information about the engine here.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a15840269/ford-focus-rs-ranger-engine/

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
I remember a ford marketing brief that talked about our 2.3 having a forged bottom end, for "Truck duty" I have no idea what ford considers "Bottom end" Rods? Pistons? Crank? Who knows. Regardless if we have forged metal in the bottom, we should be able to turn up the boost some without any real downside.

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Looking into the 2.3 a little more, I found it's used (guessing it's maxed out) in the VUHL 05 for 405 horsepower in a little $100k plus street-legal race car that looks kinda fun.

Dealer delivers my wife's Explorer in a couple days and she could care less about the FordPass points, so I'm considering some Ford Performance stuff with the combined 84,000 points I'll have. ;-)

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager