Ranger ecoboost vs mustang ecoboost (mainly turbo noises)

Metalmagic

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt
Occupation
pipe welder. Parts maker on the side
So my wife and I recently rented a mustang ecoboost while we were away on vacation. I was pretty impressed with it overall. While we were driving around we noticed that the turbo noises (mainly the spoiling up) is much more prominent in the mustang than in our ranger. I was surprised at just how much louder it was. So much so that I want to know how to get the ranger to sound like that. It’s the same basic engine platform. Did some research and can’t find much. Does anyone have some input as to how to get the sound or why it is so different? I thought maybe because airbox location but I don’t think it’s that. Do the mustangs and the focus rs have different turbos?
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if the Mustang fakes some turbo spooling or blow off valve sounds too. Or maybe you just hear more of that because of its proximity to the cab.

But in your truck maybe you can get more blow off noise by simply removing the rubber hose from the outlet of the blow off valve and capping the inlet on the air intake tube using a rubber cap. Then you vent boost to atmosphere when off the throttle and everyone hurts their neck looking at you when you drive down the street. :D Not sure if that works on this truck, I'm no turbo expert.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
The sound added to the Ranger seems pretty subtle to me. I have a Focus RS and the sound enhancement in it is much more pronounced. You can hear it in one of the videos below. It sounded way to fake for my taste. It was the first mod I made to the RS. Just a matter of pulling a plug to disable it. I don't know about the Mustang specifically but as you can hear in the video the added sound in the RS is not so much turbo noise but a low rumble, as if they were trying to pretend it is a V8.
As I learned on my RS and the ST I had before it, the turbo sounds are suppressed mostly by the air cleaner / induction system. Some after marked induction systems allow the turbo sounds to be much more noticeable. Woosh. An aftermarket blow off valve can give that TSU TSU sound when you release the throttle.
The other video is of the ST method of sound enhancement. Actual engine noises piped in to the cabin. I liked it a lot better.

Sponsored