First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Luckily the Mobil 1 Annual Protection I’ve been using already meets the GF 6 specification.
Sponsored

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I stand corrected about the "W." However, check a 20-40.

A story. My wife moved to Hawaii a year before I did in the late '80s. I knew she would not change the oil in our '84 Audi 4000 quatro 5-cyl (67,000 miles) so I changed to Mobil One prior to her departure with the car. Keep in mind that 2.2L 5-cyl turned over 4000 RPM at 70MPH. 4 qts with a filter. I continued using it. At 132,000 miles we were back in San Diego and it broke a retaining clip on the pressure plate. Had the dealer change it and at the same time changed the valve cover gasket. When I picked up the car the service mgr said the tech wants to see you. "This sounds expensive." Tech wanted to know if that was the actual miles on the car. Yes, why. He said when removed the valve cover he couldn't believe how clean it was under the cover and the associated valve train. He then did a leak-down test and found - to his stated shock - the figures were what he expected from an engine with 25-30,000 miles. Moral - use good oil and change it. At the time I changed it every 5,000 miles.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
JimJa sounds like a military guy. I was in Hawaii in the late 80's too an finished up in San Diego in 95.

I run the Rotella gas truck 5w30 the last 2 changes an now I see it meets the new Ford requirement but not the G6 (yet). I plan on 5K changes myself. I sent in for an analysis but never got anything back an it's been 6 weeks. I'll try it again next change. IF the results look good I might go 6K but not more than that. That would keep me at 3 changes a year max.

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
SAZRanger said

My earlier post I left something very important out. I was recommending a brand most of all. The video was about 5w 20 oil, I was not recommending that weight. Our Rangers call for 5w 30 SN Plus and the SN Plus is important. Think about all the high end performance cars from the US and around the world that come with Mobile 1 from the factory.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Note that nothing about this chart from the Owner's Manual says "Do Not Use In Florida."

The new SP/GF-6 oils are the most advanced available, and formulated specifically to address GDI engine problem areas. I would (and do) run the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 every day of the year, at least until something better comes along. Motorcraft should have reformulated oil that meets the new specifications very soon, but I don't want to wait for that to trickle down to the dealer service department. Your engine, your choice. This is mine.

0w30.jpg
Right! my engine my choice... 5W-30.
I'd rather have the additional protection than have an imaginary minuscule fuel mileage increase.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mobile is in Alabama, Mobil makes Mobil 1

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ecoboost requires 5-30,
Oil specifications are not so rigid and can be deviated from - especially in extreme environments - with relative impunity if oil changes are performed accordingly.

For example, the difference between 5W-30 and 0W-30 in Florida is irrelevant and your engine will be fine as long as you operate within the specific oil's design intent.

You can run conventional oil, but it will not operate as well in the same temperature and mileage as the full synthetic alternative and will need to be changed/monitored more closely.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil specifications are not so rigid and can be deviated from - especially in extreme environments - with relative impunity if oil changes are performed accordingly.

For example, the difference between 5W-30 and 0W-30 in Florida is irrelevant and your engine will be fine as long as you operate within the specific oil's design intent.

You can run conventional oil, but it will not operate as well in the same temperature and mileage as the full synthetic alternative and will need to be changed/monitored more closely.
I understand your point and I would not use zero myself since the only benefit is the imaginary or marginal increase in fuel economy while losing a bit of optimization in wear protection.
In my opinion 5-30 is the right viscosity for this application.
My choice is Motorcraft 5-30 synthetic blend and I expect to see a service life from my engine longer than my need for the truck itself. (I'm 68)

Of course some deviation is appropriate in certain applications, I just don't see it here.
As a fleet mechanic for ExxonMobil nee Mobil Oil Corporation, I was constantly appraised of the properties of lubricants and their appropriate applications from our corporate lubes experts.

Last edited:

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
I used Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic 5W-30 on my oil change last week.
It meets the SN PLUS designation required for our 2019 Rangers, and also meets GM's DEXOS 1 Gen 2 standards. Right now it's on sale at Walmart for $14.67 for the 5 Qt size (just don't buy the three pack at $18.99 each)
GM's DEXOS 1 Gen 2 seems to be pretty similar to the new ILSAC GF-6 standards protecting for low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) for Turbo engines.

QS 5W30.JPG

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just stopped at walmart the other day and got 6qts of Mobil 1 and a motorcraft FL-910-s.
Kinda spendy compared to the quaker state. Didn't know the quaker was ILSAC gf6.
Ready for first change. Only 1500 miles.

Its 5W-30, so Floyd can rest easy....

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
I can’t find the link where I saw it, but who is using the Furmoto drain plug on your trucks? 2019 Ranger. If so , what’s the part # for it?
TIA

Brian1017

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I can’t find the link where I saw it, but who is using the Furmoto drain plug on your trucks? 2019 Ranger. If so , what’s the part # for it?
TIA
I don’t have a Fumato, but I do have a valvomax. If I remember correctly, the drain plugs are M12 x 1.75

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
I don’t have a Fumato, but I do have a valvomax. If I remember correctly, the drain plugs are M12 x 1.75
Ok perfect. It was the thread count I was worried about. Thank you for the info.?
Sponsored