2.3L EcoBoost has a Metal Oil Pan and Drain Bolt

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
While the oil filter may be difficult to access, I'm happy to report that the oil pan is a real metal pan, not plastic like on the F150. And on non-FX4 Rangers, I don't believe the drain bolt is blocked by any skid plate.

Edit: Never mind there is a plate covering access to the drain bolt, looks like it has 4 bolts that must be removed.

From 11:06 mark from 2019 Ford Ranger Review

2019 Ford Ranger Review 11-6 screenshot.png
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
This is becoming more well put together truck by the day. Well played Ford!

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
And on non-FX4 Rangers, I don't believe the drain bolt is blocked by any skid plate.
2019 Ford Ranger Review 11-6 screenshot.png
The Ranger in the video is a non-FX4, just a 4x4 Lariat. I remember seeing in the Frontline magazine, it stated that "4x4's will get skid plates".

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Skid plate will be 4 bolts; shouldn't put up much of a fight.

Last edited:

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
If that is the case four bolts to remove the skid is nothing. Removing the oil filter by tuning the front wheel is not an issue.As soon as I bring home my ranger I am replacing the oil with Mobil 1 or possibly letting the dealer replace the oil with full synthetic before delivery. My truck will arrive March 3rd. Lighting blue, lariat FX4,Tech package,spray in bed liner,tow package,tray type mats,mud flaps.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
The interesting thing is it appears the skid plate is present on both 2WD and 4WD.

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
I would assume to remove the skid would be easy, to get to the drain plug?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume to remove the skid would be easy, to get to the drain plug?
It appears it is just 4 bolts, so it seems it is easy. I guess we will see once someone does their first oil change, though. What seemed like a horrible process doesn't seem too bad now.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
If that is the case four bolts to remove the skid is nothing. Removing the oil filter by tuning the front wheel is not an issue.As soon as I bring home my ranger I am replacing the oil with Mobil 1 or possibly letting the dealer replace the oil with full synthetic before delivery. My truck will arrive March 3rd. Lighting blue, lariat FX4,Tech package,spray in bed liner,tow package,tray type mats,mud flaps.
That may not be a good thing to do as I think that this is some sort of break in oil. But the next oil change go synthetic.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
When I bought my Focus ST in 2012 I was told that break-in oil was no longer a thing. My dealer told me to change it in 2-3K miles. I changed it around 3K and had no issues with the engine while flogging it mercilessly, having it tuned for max power, and bolting all sorts of power adders and noise maker to it. I don't know if that's true or not, but I suspect modern oils are good enough for the job. Also Motorcraft synthetic blend is actually a very good oil. I use Mobil 1 because I do all my own changes, but Motorcraft is nothing to scoff at.

EDIT: On my last vehicle there was a skid plate blocking the drain plug, many owners installed a fumoto drain plug and rerouted the oil with a hose. You could reach up and open the drain, and the oil would go down the tube and into the pan. Might have to do that on this truck to avoid taking the skids off every other month (I drive a lot)

Last edited:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
EDIT: On my last vehicle there was a skid plate blocking the drain plug, many owners installed a fumoto drain plug and rerouted the oil with a hose. You could reach up and open the drain, and the oil would go down the tube and into the pan. Might have to do that on this truck to avoid taking the skids off every other month (I drive a lot)
Having the skid plate covering the Fumoto drain valve definitely makes me more at ease. I've looked at them many times, but never got one...this could be the ideal scenario for it's usage.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The Ranger in the video is a non-FX4, just a 4x4 Lariat. I remember seeing in the Frontline magazine, it stated that "4x4's will get skid plates".
Having the skid plate covering the Fumoto drain valve definitely makes me more at ease. I've looked at them many times, but never got one...this could be the ideal scenario for it's usage.
Does the xl have a plastic pan?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my Focus ST in 2012 I was told that break-in oil was no longer a thing. My dealer told me to change it in 2-3K miles. I changed it around 3K and had no issues with the engine while flogging it mercilessly, having it tuned for max power, and bolting all sorts of power adders and noise maker to it. I don't know if that's true or not, but I suspect modern oils are good enough for the job. Also Motorcraft synthetic blend is actually a very good oil. I use Mobil 1 because I do all my own changes, but Motorcraft is nothing to scoff at.

If you end up doing this, I'd be interested in seeing photos of it. It is an interesting idea. Never heard of those fumoto drain plugs before. I'm wondering if you would be able to get your hand above the skid plate to open the drain plug.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
If you end up doing this, I'd be interested in seeing photos of it. It is an interesting idea. Never heard of those fumoto drain plugs before. I'm wondering if you would be able to get your hand above the skid plate to open the drain plug.
I’ve used Fumoto valves before, they work great and you don’t have to remove drain bolts or replace crush washers ever again.

I’ve never put them on a truck becuase I was worried one bad hit & off it would come, but the factory skid plate should stop that.

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Sponsored