Easiest to install Trailer Brake Controller?

NoleDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hello Everyone!

Back in early May I ordered off the Ford accessories site the “oem” tbc in hopes it would be installed in time for a trip I’m taking with a trailer at the end of next week. Well, here I am nearly a month and multiple calls later with no TBC or firm install date from my dealer. That said, I still want the oem one but I’m looking for one to pinch hit for me next week in the meantime. Can anyone recommend a minimally invasive install tbc I can pull off and sell on eBay after I get the oem one finally installed?

No, installing the oem one should I get in hand before my trip isn’t an option as I’m terrible with finish work pulling off panels etc and I know I’ll permanently mangle my interior.
Sponsored

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
There are a number of stand alone inline controlers , some that work off your phone .

Wireless Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hello Everyone!

Back in early May I ordered off the Ford accessories site the “oem” tbc in hopes it would be installed in time for a trip I’m taking with a trailer at the end of next week. Well, here I am nearly a month and multiple calls later with no TBC or firm install date from my dealer. That said, I still want the oem one but I’m looking for one to pinch hit for me next week in the meantime. Can anyone recommend a minimally invasive install tbc I can pull off and sell on eBay after I get the oem one finally installed?

No, installing the oem one should I get in hand before my trip isn’t an option as I’m terrible with finish work pulling off panels etc and I know I’ll permanently mangle my interior.
Curt Echo.

I am 90% sure that will be my TBC route when I get a travel trailer later this year. I don't feel like ripping the inside apart for the Ford OEM / Redarc one. For the Echo, I have an older Android phone I will mount to the dash when towing, to interface with the Echo (no need to tie up my active phone).

If you go this route, PM me when you are finished with it, and I may even buy it off you.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Curt Echo.

I am 90% sure that will be my TBC route when I get a travel trailer later this year. I don't feel like ripping the inside apart for the Ford OEM / Redarc one. For the Echo, I have an older Android phone I will mount to the dash when towing, to interface with the Echo (no need to tie up my active phone).

If you go this route, PM me when you are finished with it, and I may even buy it off you.
When the echo first came out there were some reports of issues with the Ranger. I think they worked those out. There is also a recent thread here that someone was having issues. Hopefully he gets that sorted and it's not widespread.

I will likely get an echo too, if/when I need to tow more than my little ATV trailer. Also good idea bout the 2nd phone. I have my old iphone 5 I use for the my drone camera because the software is no longer supported on the new IOS. I can use that for the brakes, too.

Reactions: EJH

ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 XLT Tremor
I tow a smallish toy hauler (about 3000 lbs/450 lbs tongue weight loaded up) using the Echo. No issues so far with the Ranger. I have it and an OBD-II scanner connected to my old pixel.

I'd rather have an integrated brake controller, but already bought this thing for our other vehicle and can waste that $300 on something else for the truck.

Reactions: EJH

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
If you want to use the Ford brake controller without running the wire to the back and up into the headliner, someone found a much easier spot you could use (same wire but by the fuse box in the dash). Could look into that.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/factory-brake-controller-install.12488/page-3

I used the Echo with my Ranger for a while and it was pretty good. There are some quirks but nothing huge. Make sure your truck & trailer are on level ground before you plug it in. Don't plug the trailer in first. Press the brake pedal once it's all hooked up, so that the truck detects the trailer and powers the Echo. Then it's good to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NoleDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Good info, everyone - thank you! Yeah, I’m a complete newb with towing a trailer so I’m a little stressed about the whole thing.

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
Good info, everyone - thank you! Yeah, I’m a complete newb with towing a trailer so I’m a little stressed about the whole thing.
So thanks to help from other threads on this forum I did the Ford install myself, it took about 4 hours start to finish, and that included pulling the panel to mount it in the 12v power outlet plug in front of the shifter instead of drilling for it. I pulled the headliner for the CHMSL which was actually way easier than expected (Thanks to a video posted here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...rake-controller-availability.3562/post-274126)

I have a curt echo, and used it the first time I towed my trailer with the ranger, and wasn't super stoked on it. First off the cheesy rubber strap to hold it firmly to the truck broke the first time it went on, so I found a velcro strap to use instead. That seems to work, and everything seemed okay, but then the trailer started to sway while I was driving just a bit (ruts on the freeway) and I went to tap the phone to straighten it out, but in the interim a phone call had come in and the phone wasn't showing the screen any longer. OOPS, now I have a locked phone, in one hand and a truck with a swaying trailer in the other, not a good combination. I rapidly dropped the phone and attended to the truck, but after that decided to put in the proper controller. At the start of the trip the app also showed connected but never reflected that the brakes were being applied, somehow by the end of the trip it showed them being applied (After I got the app back up and running while stopped at a light)

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I would say the Curt Echo for a plug and play. From what I understand you do not need to be connected to it continuously for it to work so if you loose Bluetooth connection it still has all the calibrated settings saved locally on the device. Probably super easy to sell on "OfferUp" or something when done with it.

I run a Curt Spectrum and did not need to drill anything, out of sight too since it fits under dash and I double sided tapes the control knob below the cigarette lighters. I would say this is still a lot of work just for a single trip since you seem to be set on the other unit. I actually have one of these units on my Honda Pilot as well. Works great with our "small" Geo Pro 19BH travel trailer.

OP
OP

NoleDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Just a follow up to this post. So I did my first towing with the Ranger and the Curt Echo this past weekend. I had zero issues with connecting or staying connected throughout the drive. My only gripe was that I could never get the calibration just right on the controller. I even cranked the sensitivity down to one and it was still leaving the trailer brakes too strong. Maybe it was the trailer or maybe I have no idea what I’m doing. Thank you again for the insight everyone provided. I’m still going to get the OEM one installed whenever my dealer gets their crap together but this was a great stand in option.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Well, the Curt Echo was the easiest to install. However, the Redarc Tow Pro Elite with the emergency braking module only took about 45 minutes to install and, in my case, way more reliable. I had two Curt Echo devices for my 2020 Ranger XLT that would flake out during braking under 20 miles per hour.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Any conventionally wired brake controller that you can purchase and get installed at Camping World etc. should work. With these units however the trailer brakes will not activate if the Ranger's automatic braking system is triggered. I would surmise, though far from certain, that the trailer brakes will activate when you eventually step on the brake pedal after automatic truck brake activation.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Any conventionally wired brake controller that you can purchase and get installed at Camping World etc. should work. With these units however the trailer brakes will not activate if the Ranger's automatic braking system is triggered. I would surmise, though far from certain, that the trailer brakes will activate when you eventually step on the brake pedal after automatic truck brake activation.
Not a dig at you, but people like to say that, and I think the reality is that if AEB activates then it's probably already too late to do much. I don't see many people being able figure out how to get their foot to the brake pedal while their body is being thrown at the steering wheel. Another situation that always comes to mind is what if this happens when driving on a windy road? Your trailer decides it wants to pass you (or drag you off the road) is what, at which point I don't imagine trailer brakes are going to be of much use anyway.

If not using an AEB-compatible brake controller, then its probably better to turn off AEB entirely.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not a dig at you, but people like to say that, and I think the reality is that if AEB activates then it's probably already too late to do much. I don't see many people being able figure out how to get their foot to the brake pedal while their body is being thrown at the steering wheel. Another situation that always comes to mind is what if this happens when driving on a windy road? Your trailer decides it wants to pass you (or drag you off the road) is what, at which point I don't imagine trailer brakes are going to be of much use anyway.

If not using an AEB-compatible brake controller, then its probably better to turn off AEB entirely.
There are two stages to AEB. Stage 1 the dash lights up red and pre-pressurizes the brake system and Stage 2 where the AEB applies the brakes. Granted I didn't specify manually braking prior to Stage 2 so thanks for having me note that. Also Ford makes it very clear that AEB does not guarantee prevention of impact.
AEB is unrelated to trailer sway control which is active even without a brake controller..

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Don't forget to also turn off Adaptive Cruise Control also. Which is probably a good idea while towing no matter what braking system you have.
Sponsored