Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
saving money? ? who said anything about that? E85 is not about saving money, it’s about unleashing the true potential of the truck. I drive 80 miles a day and the driving experience with the tune is worth every penny.
I love the idea of the hp gains but I can't believe these motors can run on 85% alcohol and not hurt them. But I am very uneducated on this topic....
Sponsored

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I love the idea of the hp gains but I can't believe these motors can run on 85% alcohol and not hurt them. But I am very uneducated on this topic....
What exactly do you think will get hurt? It's not the fuel system that is the issue. The motor isn't the issue either, assuming you have a quality tune.

Every modern vehicle is designed to have ethanol through it's veins........, I.e. the fuel system and motor. The issue is factory tune and fuel system limits. The ranger fuel system is up to the task, the ecu in factory programming isn't. Thus the custom tuning needed.

gnx7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 2wd, '93 RX-7 turbo LS9, '69 Chevelle turbo ProTouring
e85 (approx 105 octane) is the magical $2/gal race gas!

I'm blown away at these numbers for the only mods being e85 and a tune! Just wish my 2wd Ranger had a limited slip out back.

I've run e85 and a blend of it for years.... works amazing in a forced induction vehicle. Naturally aspirated unless it has super high compression the results aren't too impressive of a gain.

Here is a dyno from my 88mm T4 turbo 6.2 liter (LS) in a Mazda RX-7 running pump $2/gal e85 (actually it tested e80 on my digital content meter). We later learned that we had the wrong wastegate springs in it.... so no matter what we commanded electronically (Holley Dominator EFI) the wastegates couldn't maintain the boost levels in the higher RPMs. The best numbers on this graph were only running on 14psi!!!! I've had it up to 22psi in 5th gear and it was bonkers....

e85 works that is for damn sure and better than spending $10+/gal for real race gas.

dyno1000rwhp.jpg

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
It's my understanding that the injectors on these run out before the fuel pump does. You could log injector duty cycle to find out but you'd have to be pushing things pretty hard to see where IDC hits 100. It would also be interesting to monitor the commanded fuel pressure and the actual fuel pressure under varying amounts of load. I've seen a few guys have more conservative tunes with torque limited at the lower rpms and I've also seen aggresssive tunes with guys making 400+ ft lbs down low as soon as they go WOT and the turbo spools up. I've seen both approaches on both 93 and e85 tunes with these engines. I wonder what the tuners are seeing as far as fuel pressure, afr, IDC, and knock go. It's interesting that some tuners get 100 more torque out of these engines down low than others. What are the others seeing that tells them to keep torque low? Knock retard?

@ZincGT how is your tune running for you?? Any issues? Have you been doing any datalogs? The curves on your graph look great.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
It's my understanding that the injectors on these run out before the fuel pump does. You could log injector duty cycle to find out but you'd have to be pushing things pretty hard to see where IDC hits 100. It would also be interesting to monitor the commanded fuel pressure and the actual fuel pressure under varying amounts of load. I've seen a few guys have more conservative tunes with torque limited at the lower rpms and I've also seen aggresssive tunes with guys making 400+ ft lbs down low as soon as they go WOT and the turbo spools up. I've seen both approaches on both 93 and e85 tunes with these engines. I wonder what the tuners are seeing as far as fuel pressure, afr, IDC, and knock go. It's interesting that some tuners get 100 more torque out of these engines down low than others. What are the others seeing that tells them to keep torque low? Knock retard?

@ZincGT how is your tune running for you?? Any issues? Have you been doing any datalogs? The curves on your graph look great.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...imoto-cr-performance-dyno-tests-inside.10826/

TOPFD259

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Engineer
It's more complicated than just injectors duty cycle because these are direct injection. They are only injecting during the injection window, so you have adjust all the injection timing as well. Can also play with the pressure as well. That's why different tuners say different things.

I'm also intentionally limiting torque to keep the motor in one piece. As we gain more confidence in the motor I'll go up. As seen in the crp dyno tread

OP
OP

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ahh I see now that you're running a lot of torque down low now. Do you ever do any datalogs? The truck must absolutely rip.
I datalog a few times a week and stay in constant communication with Adam @ ZFG. I drive 80 miles per day so the truck sees its paces.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
FYI I was at Sunoco and E30 is 94 Octane:
IMG_20210204_144731498_HDR.jpg

Its 10% less than 93 Octane (10% ethanol) at Sam's club and while it seems to offer up lots of power I bet my mileage is gonna suffer more than 10%

EDIT TO ADD: I've been mixing the E30 with Sam's Club premium the last few weeks (not 50/50 mostly Sam's 10% ethanol premium) and my mileage has been unexpectedly good. This article might explain why?
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2019...-smith-tips-for-maxxing-mpg-with-fuel-mixing/

Last edited:

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
Had a chance to get one the dyno yesterday with Adam from ZFG Racing working on the keyboard. I'm running full E85 and other then the tune the truck has 0 power mods. After I run down this tank of E85 I'm going to put pump gas in it and do a dyno with the stock tune. I have since been talked into a turbo upgrade ?. I purchased a dragy and will be posting that data soon.
rg3.jpg

graph is hard to read 357hp 361tq

RG1.jpg

RG2.jpg
Stock fuel injection system and spark plugs and tune to run the E85?

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
Oh man. You may want to look into that ASAP. Many of the DI Turbo’s have issues with it.
yeah, not sure why anyone going for performance would be using low octane ethanol??

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Do these motors only have DI or port+plus DI? I run e85 on track FRS for 3+ years and not a single problem. Flex fuel sensor+ tune is what you want so you don't need to worry about inconsistent e ratings from different pumps.

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager
Do these motors only have DI or port+plus DI? I run e85 on track FRS for 3+ years and not a single problem. Flex fuel sensor+ tune is what you want so you don't need to worry about inconsistent e ratings from different pumps.
Only DI, and no way to do flex fuel at this time.
Sponsored