Testing Galore! SPD PERFORMANCE, MISHIMOTO. CR PERFORMANCE DYNO TESTS INSIDE

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Finally had the opportunity to spend some time on the dyno with ZFG Racing. A few months ago we maxed out the factory turbo on E85 and the decision was made to upgrade to a CR Performance stage 4 turbo, the install was straight forward and Adam began working his magic on the keyboard. From the get go we dealt with extreme turbo lag, once the turbo would spool the truck was quick but lacking still. The truck was stock other then the turbo and a ZFG E85 tune. Adam convinced me to keep with it and with the help from SPD Performance and Mishimoto we acquired some "bolt-ons" quickly, here are the results. (Cliff notes, dont install a big turbo with out supporting mods)

All of the dyno graphs show before and after of part installs, no tuning in between. I have attached the files but not sure what order they will upload in.

CR performance stage 4 turbo stock exhaust vs SPD Performance down pipe and cat back
5A2A80E0-4FFA-455B-9309-9B490565D74A.jpeg

Stock intercooler pipe vs mishimoto, shows some spool gains, dyno starts at 2700rpm

70EEBFC2-2DDA-4FAA-ABDE-F140ACBFCE80.jpeg

Stock intake vs Mishimoto
Major gains here, Adam had to rework the wastegate table. Factory intake was restrictive at this level.
DFBF4679-4AEF-44FB-B14A-6E0C5FE84DE2.jpeg

Final e85 numbers, out of injector up top.
CCDD8651-8799-487D-BF22-4CFF6021150F.jpeg

Final numbers on e60, slightly less Hp better curve
50BC168E-F26F-42BA-AF45-182D74FD9C29.jpeg

CR Performance stage 4 turbo no other mods vs supporting mods. This is where we started the day vs where we finished

217FACB9-B3FD-4E40-AC7A-FBFDC9A491D7.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I couldn't examine those closely on my phone but those horsepower peaks are pretty awesome. I would imagine some with the peaky arcs would be unpleasant to drive but some had some smooth and early torque curves.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Impressive.

Figuring 15% driveline loss, that's 500+HP and 530+TQ. :like:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Okay, so that build starts with just a turbo upgrade with a tune and is pretty nuts! Makes sense that upgrading the exhaust all the way back from the turbo would bump gains.. The Mishimoto charge pipes didn't seem to change the peak HP but it did shift the torque curve - I imagine a follow-up video once the intercooler (I presume) is added, high flow injectors and additional tuning will be pretty exciting.

At this level of boost/exhaust modification it stands to reason the Mishimoto airbox upgrade would be needed.

Definitely amazing power.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
This is awesome! Couple of questions. How much boost does it run for the final dyno graph? Were there tuning changes made after each bolt on to maximize each step of the way? Was there some final tuning to get to that peak number in the end?

One more thing to keep in mind, Mustang Dynos typically read 10-15% lower than your typical Dynojet.

Reactions: Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
This is awesome! Couple of questions. How much boost does it run for the final dyno graph? Were there tuning changes made after each bolt on to maximize each step of the way? Was there some final tuning to get to that peak number in the end?

One more thing to keep in mind, Mustang Dynos typically read 10-15% lower than your typical Dynojet.
Good question, and it would appear they haven't upgraded the stock blowoff.
@ZincGT, what was the reasoning behind re-using the stock air vanes on the cold side? Mishimoto says they didn't see a specific need for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

We are around 27 psi, yes we did some tuning after each part was installed, the graphs show back to back pulls for comparison. We were able to finish the tune on e85 but had to cut power out up top. At the end we put in 7 gallons of 91 to cut it to e60 to try to get more rpm out of it but it didnt help. we smoothed out the graph on e60 and were within a few hp and tq of e85.

OP
OP

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Good question, and it would appear they haven't upgraded the stock blowoff.
@ZincGT, what was the reasoning behind re-using the stock air vanes on the cold side? Mishimoto says they didn't see a specific need for it.
I definitely need a BOV as I am getting some compressor surge now. I didnt reuse the vanes, just showed them in the stock tube.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I definitely need a BOV as I am getting some compressor surge now. I didnt reuse the vanes, just showed them in the stock tube.
27 lbs is a lot! Compression on the motor is already a high ratio - at least to an old timer like me.

Makes sense you're going to need to focus on that. And injectors. Hope you have a backup plan to not go boom.

Smooth that torque curve and you're gonna have a supertruck. The horsepower is looking amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
27 lbs is a lot! Compression on the motor is already a high ratio - at least to an old timer like me.

Makes sense you're going to need to focus on that. And injectors. Hope you have a backup plan to not go boom.

I understand things happen, but I'm not at all concerned at this point, E85 is a beautiful thing and I trust Adam. There will be people that push the platform harder then me and when they do we will all see what happens at that point. As of right now I have a 12 second daily driver that gets 20+ mpg and is fun to drive, I'm content. If a set of injectors fell in my lap it may be a different story...
Sponsored