First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger SXT FX4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Grocery Management
To those of you who deleted your muffler, what did you notice aside from sound? I watched a bunch of clips and I like the sound. Not too loud or nasty, just sounds more like a truck. I’m looking for you thoughts on power gain/loss, mpg gain/loss. I do have the Unleashed 91 octane Performance and Towing tunes and I don’t want to mess up my tune with a mod (I’m awaiting a response from Torrie on compatability). My rig is stock except the tune and Fox suspension and wheel spacers.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I had the muffler delete with the Unleashed 91 tune and couldn't be happier, I did both mods at the same time so I cannot give you the best answer on any power gains for the muffler delete

OP
OP
Wesmertz

Wesmertz

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Grocery Management
I had the muffler delete with the Unleashed 91 tune and couldn't be happier, I did both mods at the same time so I cannot give you the best answer on any power gains for the muffler delete
What are you getting MPGwise? I get 20-22 generally. I’m running the tune, 32” tires, Bora 1” wheel spacers, and a Fox 2.0 Suspension kit. Otherwise I am stock.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Utah doesn't require a muffler?

OP
OP
Wesmertz

Wesmertz

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Grocery Management
Utah doesn't require a muffler?
We don’t do smog testing in Washington County, Utah nor do we do safety inspections. Plenty of people WITH mufflers that are absurdly loud. Much louder than what I’ve seen in videos and reviews.

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
Before putting the flowmaster flowfx on Shelly, I briefly fired it up without and it sounded good but I felt like it would get old on the highway.

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I do a lot of highway miles so 20 to 23 mpg unless I step on it

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
You won't notice any performance difference by removing the muffler.

I did it due to the supposed restriction in the stock muffler and it did nothing but make the exhaust sound annoying.

I ended up getting an MBRP aftermarket exhaust and that was annoying too until I added a muffler to it.

I also didn't notice any real performance improvement with just the MBRP exhaust.

Combining the MBRP with the Mishimoto intake seemed to make it scratch the tires a bit more readily.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Just no.. please!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
We don’t do smog testing in Washington County, Utah nor do we do safety inspections. Plenty of people WITH mufflers that are absurdly loud. Much louder than what I’ve seen in videos and reviews.
Understood, in Va. there are so many absurdly loud vehicles, I don't know how they pass inspection, assuming a muffler, or resemblence thereof exists.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Can you see a performance gain with the Ranger by simply removing the muffler? Technically speaking yes. How much? Not much. Thankfully the turbocharger gives enough back pressure on the engine to allow the engine to run well compared to a NA engine. The turbo will most likely want to spool a little quicker.

With that said if this is a daily driver I wouldn't recommend going for a louder exhaust as it will get old quick.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
I deleted my muffler but left the resonator on and added a resonator-style tip. It sounds fine to me but like most things, it's up to personal preference. YMMV :sunglasses:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
To each his own but at the end of the day it is still just a 4 banger. And it's going to sound as such. Though the engine in our Ranger does do a wonderful job of overlaying the sound of a Singer sowing machine over the top of any other noises. Maybe opt for an app that will play V8 noise in the cab depending on throttle position. Your neighbors will be clueless but in your drivers seat it'll sound like you are lapping Nuremberg in a Mustang Dark Horse.

If you're looking for pleasing exhaust notes you'll need to upgrade to something with a V8. And then, if you're like me, your mileage will tank as you'll just "have to hear the music of that engine" every time that you plant your foot!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
To those of you who deleted your muffler, what did you notice aside from sound? I watched a bunch of clips and I like the sound. Not too loud or nasty, just sounds more like a truck. I’m looking for you thoughts on power gain/loss, mpg gain/loss. I do have the Unleashed 91 octane Performance and Towing tunes and I don’t want to mess up my tune with a mod (I’m awaiting a response from Torrie on compatability). My rig is stock except the tune and Fox suspension and wheel spacers.
Don't base the sound off of video or audio clips. Phones are really bad at capturing true quality sounds. It may sound good in a video, but probably sounds crap IRL. The only way to really judge is to find someone close that has done it and hear it for yourself.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I definitely noticed a decrease in responsiveness when I deleted my delete (put stock back section on) for trade in.

Still got it kicking around if anyone wants it..
Sponsored