E85 Capabilities

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Has anybody went down the E85 route with the new Ranger? Have E85 station near me and tuner that is great at tuning E85 vehicles. Just curious if the fuel system is up for the task at hand.
Sponsored

OP
OP

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
From the Owners manual:

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty. Do not use: • Diesel fuel. • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin. • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel. • Fuels containing methanol. • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds. • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT). • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law. The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system
F150 has the same disclaimer. And many are using it with zero issues. Fuel pump/injectors would be of main concern. My mustang ecoboost had to have a separate rail setup to use E85. The power gains were well worth it. Sucks there is really nothing out for these trucks yet and I’m wanting more than 300rwhp that I have now...

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
E85 is such an amazing fuel for turbo applications. I'm sure once some tuners get more dyno time with the Rangers they will offer E85 tunes and we will see a significant bump in power output. Then the next restriction will be discovered and upgraded. The domino effect is real here haha

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I think the HPFP in this platform is only capable of hitting E50 at most. (I'm recalling from the FoRS). If you wanted to exceed 50/50, I think you'd need to fit a supplemental fuel system. The options are usually dual port just after the throttle body, or quad port with one injector per runner on the intake. (Both are expensive).

Some also get away with methanol injection which is basically a cheaper supplemental fuel system.

OP
OP

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
E85 is such an amazing fuel for turbo applications. I'm sure once some tuners get more dyno time with the Rangers they will offer E85 tunes and we will see a significant bump in power output. Then the next restriction will be discovered and upgraded. The domino effect is real here haha
AGREED!!

OP
OP

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I think the HPFP in this platform is only capable of hitting E50 at most. (I'm recalling from the FoRS). If you wanted to exceed 50/50, I think you'd need to fit a supplemental fuel system. The options are usually dual port just after the throttle body, or quad port with one injector per runner on the intake. (Both are expensive).

Some also get away with methanol injection which is basically a cheaper supplemental fuel system.
So similar to the mustang platform....definitely a PITA....
Sponsored