First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Thought I’d show everyone a quick comparison of a couple parts vs stock on an UNTUNED truck. We did this last year but the topic comes up in the Facebook performance group rather violently so I wanted to share some information. This is a 2019 XLT sport, with wheels and tires, 93 octane, stock tune and Roush exhaust.
The first pull is off the street as described above.

The second pull is adding a Roush CAI, no other changes.

The third pull is adding a Revolution Automotive turbo inlet pipe to the above parts. After these tests the stock inlet pipe was reinstalled and the truck was dyno tuned for much more power.

Forgive me for the cell phone picture of a tv screen but I am lazy.

The last picture is the before (off the street as described) and the final results of being dyno tuned with all above parts EXCEPT the Revolution inlet pipe. These are actual dyno pulls done on a customers truck in our shop. FYI I do not recommend Roush intakes because they are still quite restrictive but I have no reason to hide their results and I am impressed by the performance of Roush intakes on stock tune trucks for sure!

ACB26466-C373-4AB8-B794-F796191E4954.jpeg

DAF9865E-AB08-4C78-A8C9-D12D6A94171F.jpeg
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Those torque numbers at the RPMs are really impressive.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Second photo, lower graph.
Thanks, I was making sure. Yeah we don’t like the big and short torque bump that quickly tapers down. We worked hard on the tune to make a large, broad torque curve that compliments the horsepower.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Your turbo intake is fairly unique and while it may be the stock turbo influencing performance I don't see a real problem. The only thing I'd want is less noise from the swap as I understand you experience a 'whistle.' I wonder where it's being generated and if it can be compensated for?

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
The one dyno pull #7 on the first picture is the only run with the inlet pipe, all others were with the stock one.
I really don’t notice much noise from it when used with the Mishimoto and similar style intakes. The noise is amplified by open style HAI’s. Of course it will always be somewhat louder than stock regardless of what intake you have.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
It is known that tuning this truck will give ~40 HP and ~60 TQ, even on the stock airbox. It's interesting to see the difference pre-tune, but almost no difference with the Roush box post-tune. Maybe the Roush box leans out the stock AFR to bump stock numbers, but a tune has them leaned out enough already?

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
So basically saying the best bang for the buck power will truly be a tune vs anything else. Got it.
Yes and I wish more people had the FP tune on a stock truck. There's where the power, and mpg myths, get interesting.

Reactions: Doc

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Cool thread. +1 for downpipe. I really think the added air from an intake benefits in conjunction with the downpipe and catback.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes and I wish more people had the FP tune on a stock truck. There's where the power, and mpg myths, get interesting.
I stick with the Livernoise Tow tune and I suspect it was close in power to the Ford Performance Tune. That said I was also able to switch to 87 without flashing it as well

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
The one dyno pull #7 on the first picture is the only run with the inlet pipe, all others were with the stock one.
I really don’t notice much noise from it when used with the Mishimoto and similar style intakes. The noise is amplified by open style HAI’s. Of course it will always be somewhat louder than stock regardless of what intake you have.
No other changes i.e. charge pipes then without dyno tuning it's not a lot of change over stock.

Always the tune helps, IIRC even Mishimoto doesn't make power claims without them.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc