Driver's Side A-Pillar Grab Handle

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I know older thread. I just want to add that I think that Ford needs to make the driver's side grab handle an available option. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and definitely could use the grab handle for both entering and exiting the truck. I have the same issue with my 2016 Jeep Cherokee that does not have the grab handle and it sits a lower than the Ranger.
Sponsored

Arch Stanton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4x4 Ingot Silver 301A
Occupation
V.P. of Research and Development; Telemetry and Guidance Testing Facility at Aerodytech Corporation, Reno, Nevada
I've seen lots of talk about the grab handle and can't quite understand why anyone would care whether it has one on the drivers side or not? The truck isn't tall enough for it to be useful. I mean you don't climb up into the truck like you would a big 3/4 ton or something. Or is it the asymmetry with it being only on the passenger side? Not knocking anyone. Just genuinely interested.
Looking at the passenger side, I kind of feel it would bug me in my field of vision having one on the driver side.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I had one on my '02 Tacoma... owned the truck for 17 years and used the drivers side grab handle maybe 10 times... That big round steering wheel works pretty good.

Looking at the passenger side, I kind of feel it would bug me in my field of vision having one on the driver side.
It needs to have a deep indentation in the trim to allow the handle to extend into the interior only a minimal amount.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’d like one, I use the steps to avoid sliding over the seat cushion, the handle would help.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like one, I use the steps to avoid sliding over the seat cushion, the handle would help.
Hi Rich,

I use the steering wheel...works for me!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I use it when I drive. I had to put one in my 92 Cherokee as well because it’s just more comfortable. I’d prefer my ranger having one too, but I guess I will need to get used to it.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't want to be constantly pulling on the steering wheel. that's not its intended purpose. you'll just be risking the possibility of future problems with it by constantly pulling it
It should be fine. I pulled the big bottom panel open on mine for a look see and the assembly looks pretty stout. Having said that, I'd still really like to have that grab handle.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I liked having the grab bar in my last vehicle and I miss it. I don't need the assistance it provides some, but like others, it's a very comfortable place to hold on long drives. Now, I'll just hold the edge of the visor... (long arms)

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
While grabbing the steering wheel to get in works. It would be nice to have the option of the grab handle to help me get out. It would really be nice to have the option of having one for those that want it.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I wish the Ranger had a roll cage so that I could put the handle that jeepers use, that way I could position it for my comfort. My wife told me I should be looking at the Bronco. Hmmmmm. she may be on something.... I told her this would be my last truck..... :)

Last edited:

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
phil uses the steering wheel and hes older than dirt.
im sure most of us can manage with what the Ford gods gave us.

perhaps aftermarkets will pop up if demand dictates profit

Truth!
Sponsored