Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I've seen lots of talk about the grab handle and can't quite understand why anyone would care whether it has one on the drivers side or not? The truck isn't tall enough for it to be useful. I mean you don't climb up into the truck like you would a big 3/4 ton or something. Or is it the asymmetry with it being only on the passenger side? Not knocking anyone. Just genuinely interested.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
I've seen lots of talk about the grab handle and can't quite understand why anyone would care whether it has one on the drivers side or not? The truck isn't tall enough for it to be useful. I mean you don't climb up into the truck like you would a big 3/4 ton or something. Or is it the asymmetry with it being only on the passenger side? Not knocking anyone. Just genuinely interested.
This is the reason auto makers have slowly made the driver side grab handle disappear all in the name of saving a few bucks; because they think people don't care. I do care. It's annoying as hell not having a grab handle while the passenger side does. Our 2014 4runner doesn't have one either. Trucks and SUVs have always had grab handles and I don't know when deleting these became a trend. There was no reason to do so aside from money.

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
This is the reason auto makers have slowly made the driver side grab handle disappear all in the name of saving a few bucks; because they think people don't care. I do care. It's annoying as hell not having a grab handle while the passenger side does. Our 2014 4runner doesn't have one either. Trucks and SUVs have always had grab handles and I don't know when deleting these became a trend. There was no reason to do so aside from money.
There must be more people that don't care than do. Neither of us are right and I'm not wanting to argue about it. Just trying to understand why exactly people want it so bad. I have a Nissan Xterra now and without running out to the garage to check, I couldn't tell you if it has a grab handle on the drivers side or not :D

ZanS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Limited
European ranger has grab handles on both sides, honestly I use it every time I get in and out of the truck. Plus it comes in handy when offroading.
No idea why american has only passenger grab handle though, saving a few bucks only to produce a complete new and different A pillar?
Just took a look at the ebay page, christ almighty that thing costs $135.

The Suar

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x
I suppose i'm in the minority, but I'm glad the Ranger doesn't have it. My current truck (2018 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x) doesn't have one and I have never felt the need for it. I'm a smallish dude and getting in and out my truck without a grab handle has never been an issue.
Just my 2 pennies.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
I fully understand the convenience of the driver side grab handle, but wouldn't the steering wheel have almost the same usefulness as far as ingress / egress?

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I fully understand the convenience of the driver side grab handle, but wouldn't the steering wheel have almost the same usefulness as far as ingress / egress?
I wouldn't want to be constantly pulling on the steering wheel. that's not its intended purpose. you'll just be risking the possibility of future problems with it by constantly pulling it

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't want to be constantly pulling on the steering wheel. that's not its intended purpose. you'll just be risking the possibility of future problems with it by constantly pulling it
I pulled on my steering wheel to get in my 2008 F-250 for years without any problems. This isn't some cheap junk - it's all built to be used in pretty much any way that the engineers could think that it might be used.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
but I'm glad the Ranger doesn't have it.
Curious as to why you're glad it doesn't have one, do you find it gets in the way or obstructs your view?

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
My current Ranger has one and I didn't know until I went out and looked this morning. So I guess it isn't a deal breaker for me. I have had several Ford trucks with manual and electric rear sliding windows and sun roof's, that I never used. Guess we each have our priorities in a truck.

ZanS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Limited
I pulled on my steering wheel to get in my 2008 F-250 for years without any problems. This isn't some cheap junk - it's all built to be used in pretty much any way that the engineers could think that it might be used.
Older F series had mechanical steering columns, newer have electric. I used to get in my older 2008 ranger by pulling the steering wheel, while in the new one it just doesn't feem right.

Curious as to why you're glad it doesn't have one, do you find it gets in the way or obstructs your view?
It does not.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I don't ever remember grabbing an A pillar handle to get into any truck... maybe I'll need one when I get older :like:

The Suar

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x
Yes to both. Just a enough to be a little annoying, but not a deal breaker if it had one.
Sponsored