Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Personally Grab handles on the passenger side are important for smaller people and the older generation who are driven to their destination. If you really need help getting in a vehicle, should you really be driving at all. This comment takes into the fact that if you are disabled you have made the needed adjustments to your vehicle so you can drive it. No need for the factory to make those adjustments for everyone. Just MHO no bad feelings meant. The only thing I see missing is an optional over size fuel tank.Reviews have said the Ranger is comfortable to drive in, so I would consider trips in the vehicle, It's just my wife and I. (BTW I am 69). I am waiting on a Lightning Blue Lariat 4x4 super cab, with off road package, Chrome, 501A, and towing.
Sponsored

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'd still be interested to see why auto manufacturers phased out driver's side grab handles. All of my trucks and SUVs from the 90s to early 2000s had them. And it seems to be something unique to the US market as the same platform in other geographies have both handles. And this isn't something unique to the Ranger either. I've seen it in several others brands too. Maybe it's the demographic of fat Americans and they don't want us hanging off the A pillar? :idea:

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Older F series had mechanical steering columns, newer have electric. I used to get in my older 2008 ranger by pulling the steering wheel, while in the new one it just doesn't feem right.
I'm going to have to call you out on that. I believe you're confusing steering by wire and EPAS (electronic power-assisted steering). The MY19 Ranger absolutely has an actual steering column linked to a steering rack. The assist is electronic (to save on fuel and adjust input), but the steering itself on the Ranger is a mechanical linkage.

ZanS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Limited
I'm going to have to call you out on that. I believe you're confusing steering by wire and EPAS (electronic power-assisted steering). The MY19 Ranger absolutely has an actual steering column linked to a steering rack. The assist is electronic (to save on fuel and adjust input), but the steering itself on the Ranger is a mechanical linkage.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Electricaly assisted steering wheel.

Stumblios

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
I think people are missing one simple point. It's a nice place to rest your left hand when driving. I have had one on all my rangers and use it daily in one way shape or for. I will be fixing this lack of handle right away. I see no reason for there not be a handle there. It's just a cheap way to save pennies in the build and design part. I fully believe the handle should be there and it's a shame that I'm spending 50 grand on a truck and it doesn't have this super simple thing. Also I'm 6'1 so yes it's easy to get in or out. But when you live in a winter zone it's always nice to have a secure place to grab.

Pflip

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Corvette 19 Ranger Lariat
If it's 10 cents cheaper to produce the A pillar w/o the handle and they sell a hundred thousand Rangers a year....
So for all the volume of rangers that ford sells; They will save approximately 25% of ONE truck, Hell they lose more than that in screws and bolts on the line every week!

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
My current Ranger has one and I didn't know until I went out and looked this morning..
I'm laughing because I just did the same thing in my Dakota. I knew it had one on the passenger side as my wife hangs on to it for dear life but never paid attention to the driver side.

There is one. Never used it and guessing it will not be missed.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
This thread popped back up and I just realized I have yet to notice if mine has it or not, lol. I,ll have to go have a look.

Edit- Nope, not there. I guess Im not gonna miss it if I didnt notice!

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
So for all the volume of rangers that ford sells; They will save approximately 25% of ONE truck, Hell they lose more than that in screws and bolts on the line every week!
Do you really think the difference is 10 cents? I used 10 cents as a reference to simplify it for everyone. I figured with a little bit of thought going into it, people would understand how much the possibilities are...:like:

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's one on the 2005 Ranger, but I can't reach it while driving and I think the only time I used it was when I needed to look under the dash on the left side under the steering wheel. I have a 34" shirt sleeve.

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2005 F-150 4X4 that is lifted. My drivers side handle broke off three years ago and now I use the steering wheel to get in everytime. It has not been an issue but that is the vehicle I am trading in when my Ranger gets delivered.

RIRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2000 Dakota that had the driver's side handle. That's the first thing I got rid of, couldn't stand it in my field of vision. Never had a problem getting in or out of the truck.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I like purely to have a place to put my left hand when driving on the interstate and other non-urban areas. You'd think if Euro models had one you could get one and install.

ulev1st

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC FX4 ,2012 F250 Lariat FX4, 2017 Shelby GT350, 14 Ford Focus
Occupation
Retire Marine and Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Following!
Sponsored